Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #43

F150s are pulling machines, I pulled a 9000 pound 5th wheel with a Jetski behind it at 65mph and 2100 rpms with a 2010 fully loaded lariat 5.4l with a 3.55 rear end and 24 inch rims. No extra Springs or bags and it sat level. It was about 500-800 pounds over payload capacity but that was of no concern to me. The 5.4 has a better torque curve than the 5.0 and a 3.5l eco boost would've been a better choice for you towing but it sounds like the 5.0 is doing ok with it. Great truck!

I have since upgraded to a 2013 f350 Platinum diesel because I've always wanted one and I intend to go on a few thousand mile road trip this winter through the mountains.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
F150s are pulling machines, I pulled a 9000 pound 5th wheel with a Jetski behind it at 65mph and 2100 rpms with a 2010 fully loaded lariat 5.4l with a 3.55 rear end and 24 inch rims. No extra Springs or bags and it sat level. It was about 500-800 pounds over payload capacity but that was of no concern to me. The 5.4 has a better torque curve than the 5.0 and a 3.5l eco boost would've been a better choice for you towing but it sounds like the 5.0 is doing ok with it. Great truck! I have since upgraded to a 2013 f350 Platinum diesel because I've always wanted one and I intend to go on a few thousand mile road trip this winter through the mountains.
Glad you were able to upgrade! I have been happy with my F150 and very proud of the way it pulls. Took It up in some pretty good hills pulling the TT and it averaged 11.5 mpg over the whole weekend. That was the trip to, unhooked for a day and the trip back. I'm in Louisiana and will be headed to South Texas in a few days, then on to Idaho for the summer. Hope it does as well on those long trips! Wish me luck...looking forward to my new lifestyle.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
F150s are pulling machines, I pulled a 9000 pound 5th wheel with a Jetski behind it at 65mph and 2100 rpms with a 2010 fully loaded lariat 5.4l with a 3.55 rear end and 24 inch rims. No extra Springs or bags and it sat level. It was about 500-800 pounds over payload capacity but that was of no concern to me. The 5.4 has a better torque curve than the 5.0 and a 3.5l eco boost would've been a better choice for you towing but it sounds like the 5.0 is doing ok with it. Great truck!

I have since upgraded to a 2013 f350 Platinum diesel because I've always wanted one and I intend to go on a few thousand mile road trip this winter through the mountains.
Total BS on the F150. I had a 2010 F150 5.4 3.73's and either you were sucking gas to the tune of 4-5 mpg or you had a tail wind. I towed a 7300lb TT and it never stayed in any gear. No select shift for the tranny like the 2011 and up. With 3.55's, 9000lbs +jet ski you had to be 1/2 floored. I know cause I owned one. And no way a 9000lb 5'er wouldn't drop the rear of that truck. My 7300lb Tt had a tongue weight of 900lbs and that dropped the rear 2". A 9000lb 5'er would have at min a 1350-1800lb pin weight. Total BS dude.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #46

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ouch!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #47

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTravel59 View Post
Am new to all this, so need some advice. I recently purchased the new 2013 Ford F150 with 5.0 V8. It has towing package, sway control and trailer brakes. I am looking to buy a travel trailer that is 30' and the weight is 6500 lbs. The truck manual says it can tow up to 8100 lbs. The travel trailer salesman says the truck can handle this trailer, but some friends say it can't. I don't want to buy a trailer that the truck can't tow comfortably. Any one have any words of wisdom?
Your friends are right, If you want to RV then get a truck that can control the trailer not an F150. If your priority is an F150 then forget about rv'ing.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Your friends are right, If you want to RV then get a truck that can control the trailer not an F150. If your priority is an F150 then forget about rv'ing.
And if you can't afford a bigger truck, don't buy a smaller trailer either. Just stay home!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post

Perhaps you didn't read the part about where she already has the truck and trailer and has already towed it and it does great.

I got 12-13 mpg towing mine flat land no wind. Worst i saw was 9-10 with 20mph headwind. 5th wheel, which distributes weight differently (over axles instead of behind them) and handles much better than travel trailers. Hooked up the truck sat level, unhooked the rear of the truck is 2-3 inches higher than the front. pin weight was 1400. 9000 is loaded weight counting jet ski, actual empty weight is 7500 or so.

She is and will be perfectly fine with such a light trailer, she will see higher rpms and lower mpgs through the mountains but it will get the job done. When will you Chevy and Dodge people start to realize Ford makes half ton trucks built to work. They are not glorified cars like Chevy and Dodge and are actually good for something besides going to the mall, lol!

I do understand your way of thinking though, recently went on a trip with a buddy from ND to Las Vegas in a chevy Avalanche towing a small 14 ft enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles in the back and we had no power and averaged 7mpg. Ford does not experience such shortfalls. I encourage you to go check one out, IT WILL BLOW YOUR MINDS, lol!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #50

Keep drinking the blue Kool-Aid my friend. I have always been a Ford guy for most of my life. I now own a 12 Ram 2500 CTD. It's really funny but Ford does not have that good of a reliability record. They sell more 1/2 ton trucks because of marketing. Advertising tow ratings that are ridiculous. An 11,300lb tow rating for a 1/2 ton truck that has a payload of on average 1450 lbs just doesn't work in the real world. You're the perfect example. You your self said you were over payload up to 800lbs. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it should be done.
The average buyer just sees the 11,300lb tow rating and thinks he can tow anything. Never taking into account the yellow CCC sticker on the door jamb.
Fords aren't anything any better than any other truck. In fact the Tundra has a much better reliability record.
Comparing the POS 5.3 to anything is a joke. The 5.4 is underpowered compared to todays motors, but the 5.3 is worse.
I really doubt you got 12-13mpg towing on the flat. I never got above 10mpg. And it wasn't a 'towed it once' deal. I towed my TT with the 10 F150 for 2-1/2 years and 10,000 miles. So I think I have a little more clout. I towed on the flats, hills and mtns.
I can say I got 15mpg, just using the trucks DIC and checking it occasionally, but actually towing it for 1000's of miles is where you get real averages.
Hey I once got 25mpg with my CTD and 5'er. Going down hill
Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #51

Toyota trucks don't have a reliability record at all, they haven't been around long and they barely sell 90k of them a year. The 5.4 is no speed demon but it got the job done, especially when coupled with the 6 speed transmission. I only pulled it a few thousand miles but I'm in ND, its always flat. It down shifted on hills which is to be expected but it held 2100 rpms at 65, which is 5th gear, consistently on the flat which is 99% of the state, lol! my truck was a Lariat which only had like 1300 pounds payload, however with an xl model properly equipped that trailer is easily and legally half ton tow able. I like the bells and whistles so I upgraded to an f350 Platinum 6.7. Haven't really pulled it yet but I'm going on a 2000 mile road trip this winter starting in January and can't wait!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Total BS on the F150. I had a 2010 F150 5.4 3.73's and either you were sucking gas to the tune of 4-5 mpg or you had a tail wind. I towed a 7300lb TT and it never stayed in any gear. No select shift for the tranny like the 2011 and up. With 3.55's, 9000lbs +jet ski you had to be 1/2 floored. I know cause I owned one. And no way a 9000lb 5'er wouldn't drop the rear of that truck. My 7300lb Tt had a tongue weight of 900lbs and that dropped the rear 2". A 9000lb 5'er would have at min a 1350-1800lb pin weight. Total BS dude.
You're correct. My F150 5.4 w 3.73 gears pulled an ultra light TT ok- just ok. Engine was revved up unless I was going down hill and the rpm's wound up the whole time. My F 250 diesel is wayyyyy better
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #53

Ok. Just got to south Texas yesterday. Trip was app. 700 miles. First day, the hills were a small problem, but my 2013 F150. Averaged 9.5 mpg. Second day, got into winds gusting about 40 mph and mpg dropped to 8.9. Had to go slower with the winds gusting, but other than that, the truck was fine. For a first timer on my longest trip so far, I feel like me and the truck did great! Went through cities, hills and winds. I think I can tackle anything now! Sure, a bigger truck would have been better, but I think mine will work for quiet a while. Just optimistic I guess.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #54

Great !!! Sounds like you are doing that camping thing and learning just like the rest of us.

And slowing down in the wind is the thing to do.

Was getting gas with the trailer attached just make wider turns around the pumps. Hope you did not learn this the hardway.

S. Texas is one place the DW and I plan to spend a chilly winter someday.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #55

Glad to hear your first long distance haul went well. One of the great things about being retired is...no schedules! So slowing down a bit, or even pulling off the road a while, isn't such a big deal.

Keep up the good work...er, I mean play, and have fun!

Cheers, Bill & Cindy
Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTravel59 View Post
Ok. Just got to south Texas yesterday. Trip was app. 700 miles. First day, the hills were a small problem, but my 2013 F150. Averaged 9.5 mpg. Second day, got into winds gusting about 40 mph and mpg dropped to 8.9. Had to go slower with the winds gusting, but other than that, the truck was fine. For a first timer on my longest trip so far, I feel like me and the truck did great! Went through cities, hills and winds. I think I can tackle anything now! Sure, a bigger truck would have been better, but I think mine will work for quiet a while. Just optimistic I guess.
Fords rock! Tell us everything about your truck. Motor, gear ratio, and cab bed layout.