Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #57

Sorry but.

Ford Rocks

But glad your trip went well for you.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Sorry but.

Ford Rocks

But glad your trip went well for you.
Like I said, the 5.4 had a better torque curve than the 5.0 equalling better mpgs because of lower rpms to create the torque. you may have liked the 3.5 twin turbo better if lots of Hills, you would have zero problems on Hills because of tons of torque but more Hills would=less mpgs because turbos suck fuel to create the torque.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Great !!! Sounds like you are doing that camping thing and learning just like the rest of us. And slowing down in the wind is the thing to do. Was getting gas with the trailer attached just make wider turns around the pumps. Hope you did not learn this the hardway. S. Texas is one place the DW and I plan to spend a chilly winter someday.
i DID learn the hard way on the gas issue. I thought I was swinging wide enough, but the trailer was not going to make the barrier. I had to do some backing and pulling forward a few times to maneuver it out, but I made it with literally an inch to spare! Every time I hook to the TT, it's another lesson learned, but I am learning and having fun at it!
LaTravel59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #60

Miss by an inch miss by a mile...lol

A bit of additional advice hooking up, towing thru gas stations, setting up or tearing down.

Never ever be in a hurry. Take extra time in the rain or dark. If someone helps you take twice as long checking things.

I actually printed a checklist and had it lamenated. There are dozen things that can go wrong. The antenna for example must be cranked down.

Have fun..
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Miss by an inch miss by a mile...lol

A bit of additional advice hooking up, towing thru gas stations, setting up or tearing down.

Never ever be in a hurry. Take extra time in the rain or dark. If someone helps you take twice as long checking things.

I actually printed a checklist and had it lamenated. There are dozen things that can go wrong. The antenna for example must be cranked down.

Have fun..
Yup this is correct and good information. Plus the more you pull it you will quickly learn how it tracks behind you and then you will start to know exactly where the trailer will be according to how wide you turn. It just takes some time doing it to learn. I walk around mine about 3 times and look at stuff. Haven't wrecked anything yet but been close a couple times. Ive forgot to unplug once and saw it in my mirror while I was leaving right before it ripped out, lucky the power pole was on the side and not directly behind me, lol! Once forgot my brake device that goes between the two tires and tightens up to keep it from rolling, lucky I was on some slippery mud with my rear ties as it just rained. I nearly put it in 4x4 but I remembered that thing in the Nick of time, lol! The more often you do it the better you will remember but there is lots to remember for first timers. I've seen people driving down the road with their steps out and antennas up and doors flopping in the wind, not good, lol!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #62

I do have a checklist and walk around and check everything but I still manage to forget some things. When I left home, I forgot the wooden blocks to put under the hitch. Luckily, I had some of the plastic leveling blocks! When I was hooking up truck, I told myself that I needed to put the blocks in the storage bin, and then drove off without them. Thought about them a hundred mikes down the road. I like the one about help too. People are always trying to help me hook and unhook the truck, but I usually watch and recheck. I know they are just trying to be helpful, but I need the practice! I am settled now for about the next 3 months. Hope I don't forget anything when I leave! Lol
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #63

Haha, ya I've left many a block behind as well, I throw extra in my storage area. I usually forget the ones under the tires. I use wood though cause I live on a farm and we've built a few buildings over the years and have tons of scraps left over that we use for various blocking purposes.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Fords rock! Tell us everything about your truck. Motor, gear ratio, and cab bed layout.
My truck is a 2013 Ford F150 with 5.0 v8, gear ratio 3.55, extended cab. Pulling a 2014 Jayco Flight 25RKS travel trailer.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTravel59 View Post
My truck is a 2013 Ford F150 with 5.0 v8, gear ratio 3.55, extended cab. Pulling a 2014 Jayco Flight 25RKS travel trailer.
Nice combo.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTravel59 View Post
I had the same truck but with 3.73 gears. I prefer the new F 250 for pulling however.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post

I had the same truck but with 3.73 gears. I prefer the new F 250 for pulling however.
Imagine how much more you'd like the f550 for pulling!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #68

LA travel where are you staying in south texas? I'm from there so if you want any ideas on places to see just let me know
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
LA travel where are you staying in south texas? I'm from there so if you want any ideas on places to see just let me know
I am in Donna, TX in the Rio Grande Valley. I haven't been anywhere yet because of rain. I plan on going to the Island one day and to Mexico. Anything else I should check out?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #70

Wow all the way down to the Valley! Now that's south south Texas haha. I'm not from quite that far south but have been a few times. Port Isabel is nice. If you want to go across the border, Matamoros is OK, but it's been a while since I've been there. If you like to shop or want to hit up a big city then Corpus Christi is where'd I'd go although it's about 2 1/2 hrs from Donna.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote