Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Wow all the way down to the Valley! Now that's south south Texas haha. I'm not from quite that far south but have been a few times. Port Isabel is nice. If you want to go across the border, Matamoros is OK, but it's been a while since I've been there. If you like to shop or want to hit up a big city then Corpus Christi is where'd I'd go although it's about 2 1/2 hrs from Donna.
I went to Port Isabel and South Padre Island this past weekend. Very nice. I want to go to Mexico, but waiting until I find someone to go with me. Enough shopping around here. Only problem is...nowhere to put anything else in this TT. :(.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTravel59 View Post
My truck is a 2013 Ford F150 with 5.0 v8, gear ratio 3.55, extended cab. Pulling a 2014 Jayco Flight 25RKS travel trailer.
You will do fine with this combination. I have a Kz Spree 261rks, and have been towing it with a f150 for the last 3 yrs, no problems. I actually just upgraded from a 2006 super cab to a 2013 super crew (the dogs wanted more paw space). The v8 2013 handles well, and really is good on gas, getting almost a mile per gallon better than I did with the 06. Enjoy you rig!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #73

Ok, just want to brag on my truck. Lots of folks didn't think the Ford F150 would do the job, but it has! I am on day 5 of a trip from the Rio Grande Valley to Idaho. Presently in Williams Arizona. It may go in a lower gear, but it has climbed these mountains admirably. So far, averaging 10.9 mpg. I consider this very good, considering the mountains and the wind has been pretty high! I know a bigger truck would probably go faster, but 60-65 mph is fine to me! Loving life!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Ok, just want to brag on my truck. Lots of folks didn't think the Ford F150 would do the job, but it has! I am on day 5 of a trip from the Rio Grande Valley to Idaho. Presently in Williams Arizona. It may go in a lower gear, but it has climbed these mountains admirably. So far, averaging 10.9 mpg. I consider this very good, considering the mountains and the wind has been pretty high! I know a bigger truck would probably go faster, but 60-65 mph is fine to me! Loving life!
Yea they are awesome. My 2010 5.4l at 500-800 over payload even did great and didn't even sag. downshifted on hills but held 65 at 2200 rpms all day long on flat land. People who get scared at close to the rated weight limit are probably previously Chevy owners, lol!

My 6.7l f350 doesn't slow down ever.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #75

I have a question. I am relatively new to all this. My dealer set my weight distribution hitch when I bought the trailer. They said it would not need to be re-set. But, the trailer was empty. Does it need to be re-set now that it's loaded?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a question. I am relatively new to all this. My dealer set my weight distribution hitch when I bought the trailer. They said it would not need to be re-set. But, the trailer was empty. Does it need to be re-set now that it's loaded?
Maybe.

When loaded and hooked up with the spring bars of the WD hitch tight, the floor of the trailer should be level front to rear. (I check mine with a 4' carpenter's level.) If it's not level, then adjust the ball mount up or down on the adjustable shank until you have a level trailer.Then you need three trips across the scales to check on the hitch adjustment.

1] Weigh the wet and loaded tow vehicle (TV) with the shank and head for the WD hitch, but without the trailer tied on. Weigh on a CAT (certified automated truck) scale so you get both front and rear axle weights as well as gross weight of the TV.

2] Weigh the wet and loaded TV with the wet and loaded trailer tied on, but without the spring bars.

3] Weigh the wet and loaded TV with the wet and loaded trailer tied on, and with the spring bars tightened up to where you think they should be when loaded.

Determine hitch weight: Subtract the weight of the TV without the trailer from the combined weight of the rig without the spring bars attached. That gives you hitch weight. Another way to obtain hitch weight is to use a Sherline tongue weight scale. That's how I do it:
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780

Determine distribution of hitch weight. Compare the three weights with the spring bars attached to the three weights without the spring bars. With the spring bars attached and tight, you should see 15% to 25% of the hitch weight distributed to the trailer axles, another 15% to 25% of the hitch weight distributed to the front axle of the TV. And 50% to 70% of the hitch weight remaining on the rear axle.

Ideal would be 25% to the trailer axles, 25% to the front axle and 50% remaining on the rear axle of the TV.

Depending on the WD hitch design, you can probably change the weight distribution percentages by changing the angle of the hitch ball to the hitch head.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #77

Hey guys... Just read through this article...

I recently purchased a 2011 F150 5.0l, 3.55 ratio supercrew... I have a 30' trailer (6,400lbs)... I only tow the trailer twice a year, about 200km total. I had an old weight distribution hitch that wasn't set up properly at all when I towed it home from the bush last fall... That trailer felt like it was pushing my truck all over the road, it was a white knuckle experience once I got up to speed (90kph). So I've been a little manic about towing it this spring.

I did pick up a brand new Eazy-Lift WD hitch, and will be towing the trailer to a nice flat spot and setting it up properly before I hit the highway... I will also be taking a bunch of stuff out of it to lighten the load as well.

Depending on how the tow to camp goes, I will definately be reconsidering a newer, smaller trailer.

Cheers
Old 04-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarius View Post
I did pick up a brand new Eazy-Lift WD hitch, and will be towing the trailer to a nice flat spot and setting it up properly before I hit the highway...
Eaz-Lift makes two different WD hitches. The original is now called the
Eaz-Lift Elite, and it uses the antiquated sway bars for sway control. The Eaz-Lift Trekker is similar to the more modern Equal-I-Zer in the way it works for sway control without using sway bars.

Trekker

Elite

Which one do you have?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #79

It would be the antiquated Elite... Can't say I've ever seen that new style before.