Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
2013 gmc 3500 srw tv

I am making my leap into my dream in pieces. Bought 2013 GMC 3500 SRW Diesel long bed last year and looking at 5'ers with my preference being a Columbus 320rs. Having read much about 5'ers riding nose high/low/squat etc. does anyone have any words of wisdom on how my truck will line up with the columbus, or any other unit for that matter. Or is that an issue I should be really worried about. My hitch is a B&W adjustable. Thanks. Bob

bgall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Vast majority of fivers have the same pin height, about 46-48 inches. And all the trucks are pretty much the same height. So, everyone has nearly the same issue. But a light pin weight on a HD truck will be worst case (not saying the Columbus has a light pin). Also, some people get by with minimal clearance between the truck bed rails and the fiver overhang if they stay on paved roads. Some fivers have adjustable spring hangers for more height. Anyway, everyone plays with this issue and most run a little nose high.

Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'11 Crossroads Cruiser 32MK loaded
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Evergreen Owners Club
In my opinion you shouldn't have any problems with your truck and just about any 5th wheel. If needed, you can make hitch adjustments after finding your perfect 5th wheel.
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Thanks for the info...I did not think it would be much of an issue...I am looking forward to it as our first 5th wheel purchase most likely will be in Feb/March.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by bgall2 View Post
I am making my leap into my dream in pieces. Bought 2013 GMC 3500 SRW Diesel long bed last year and looking at 5'ers with my preference being a Columbus 320rs.
GVWR of that trailer is 14,015 pounds, and it has 19% hitch weight. If you load it to more than 12,000 pounds, (2,280 pounds hitch weight), you'll probably exceed the GVWR of your GMC. In other words, you'll be overloaded.

You probably won't have any problem with having adequate clearance between the top of the truck bed and the underside of the 5er overhang UNLESS someone has lifted the truck. So that's not your problem. Your most likely problem is overloading your GMC because of too much trailer hitch weight for your SRW pickup.

To be certain you won't be overloaded when you tie onto that trailer, here's the drill:

1] Load the truck up with all the people, and cargo that will be in the truck when towing. Tools, jacks, cooler, pets, campfire wood, whatever.

2] Go to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with fuel. Then weigh the wet and loaded truck (including driver). If you don't have the 5er hitch installed, then add 150 pounds for the hitch and install kit.

3] Subtract the wet and loaded weight of the truck from the GVWR of the truck. The answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded.

If your max hitch weight is less than 2,300 pounds, then that 320RS is probably too much trailer weight for your GMC. So look for a 5er with GVWR less than 14,000 pounds, probably closer to 12,000 pounds
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Gm has the highest truck beds. This is the reason I now have a hauler bed on mine.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Smokey/Glenn..Thanks for the input...yes the GMC 3500 is pretty high in the back...lucky my B&W hitch can be lowered some.
Smokey, I have weighed the truck with "most" things inside and have added weight to compensate for that. The TV weighs in at about 8255 lbs. The GVWR of the 3500 is 11,600 so that gives me about 3,345 for the pin. If I had purchased the same truck in a 2500 the GVWR is 10,000 giving me a pin weight of only 1745 which is no enough for much at all really. It also gives me about 800 lbs more for the R Axel Weight. I really like the 3500 SRW and I bought it ONLY for the extra 1600 lbs of pin weight it offers. I have heard they ride rougher that a 2500 but it rides very well and I am happy with it so far.
I enjoy reading your inputs on the forum. Thanks.