Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

2014 2500 diesel cc which one would you buy...why

Looking to buy 2500 cc diesel . Which manufacturer would you buy from . Recommendations
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

Go test drive all 3. I am sure you would choose the RAM. Price, Medium Duty Engine, good looks and quality fit and finish to name a few.

The LongHorn trim level is top quality.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Awww geez

One ton dually . . .

But seriously, there are so many variables. What trailer are you pulling? Then you have to decide on long bed, short bed, 2wd, 4wd, but more important is what rear diff gear ratio.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #4

IMO I'd pick the one I could get the best deal on. They're all pretty close in power and payload. Of course there's the butt test. Which one feels the most comfortable helps also.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

33 ft bumper pull fr flagstaff FR831RKSS
I tow it with 09 1/2 ton ram 5.7 hemi cc
Rsmbox.2wd 3.21. Gears
Tows good but .but we are in DFW area
Trailer on scales last yr 7200 .

When I tow I'm in the 8- 10 range on mpg
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I just got a new Ram 2500 Lone Star... and I've been a Ford guy for a LONG time... Try it, you'll like it! Not to mention it was several grand less than I could get the Ford for...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many are switching over to the Ram for many reasons. For me, I had an 03 so no switch but I bought the 14 for looks, price, and Cummins. Ram is very popular in the Pacific Northwest. I did hear they are #1 pickup in Canada but have no proof of that.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To me the dealer is more important than the brand. In our small town there is no Dodge dealer, so I'd have to drive 30 miles to the other side of Midland to get to a Dodge dealer. And I don't like the personality of the local GM dealer, while the Ford dealer is an upstanding guy. So I tend to favor Ford trucks. For cars, nothing beats a Toyota for durability and reliability, so I've owned Toyota cars since my first one in 1986. It doesn't matter where the Toy dealer is located because my Toys have never required visiting a dealer.

My last three-quarter ton pickup was a new '99.5 F-250 CrewCab diesel. 197,000 troublefree miles on it in 11 years before I sold it. Now I have an F-150 twin-turbo EcoBoost with 40,000 miles on it because I don't need an F-250 for my current trailers.

For buying a new pickup today, a big factor for me is that GM (Government Motors, now owned by the Feds and the labor unions) and Dodge (now owned by FIAT) had lousy top management that resulted in bankruptcy for both companies. The stockholders and bond holders were screwed out of their investments. Ford stockholders still own Ford, and Ford didn't reneg on paying off their bond holders.

Plus, I grew up with a 1950 Dodge pickup. Dad bought it new in the fall of 1949 after we made a good crop. He said he Dodged it, because he couldn't aFord it. Then we suffered through the drought of the 1950s and Dad still had that old Dodge when I graduated high school and went off to college in 1957. It was held together with spit and bailing wire, but it still ran. That was my dating vehicle while I was in high school. And old farm pickup, especially an old Dodge, was not the best way to impress the ladies. So I've never owned a Dodge pickup.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

I like the idea of a medium duty truck engine in a pick-up truck along with a medium duty transmission also. The only truck manufacture that offers this combination is Ram which provides a 6cylinder 6.7L ISB medium duty truck engine and the AISIN medium duty transmission. All of the components on the engine can be accessed without removing the truck cab and service is simpler on the ISB. So this is less expensive to repair anything if needed.

I like the straight 6cylinder engine for simplicity over an 8 cylinder engine less parts in the engine to fail. Also the Cummins builds its torque low in the RPM range which is a benefit also when you start to move the load you are towing.

I also like having as standard the most aggressive exhaust braking being offered as standard on the engine from the big three truck manufactures.

Just my $0.02

Jim W.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I like the idea of a medium duty truck engine in a pick-up truck along with a medium duty transmission also. The only truck manufacture that offers this combination is Ram which provides a 6cylinder 6.7L ISB medium duty truck engine and the AISIN medium duty transmission. All of the components on the engine can be accessed without removing the truck cab and service is simpler on the ISB. So this is less expensive to repair anything if needed.

I like the straight 6cylinder engine for simplicity over an 8 cylinder engine less parts in the engine to fail. Also the Cummins builds its torque low in the RPM range which is a benefit also when you start to move the load you are towing.

I also like having as standard the most aggressive exhaust braking being offered as standard on the engine from the big three truck manufactures.

Just my $0.02

Jim W.
All good points and factual!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #11

pickuptrucks.com just published their head to head comparison of 3/4 gas and 1 ton diesel. All three truck perform quite well.

PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

Jim W.
Actually that is 100% incorrect. All versions of the GM/Isuzu Duramax 6.6 and Allison transmission (except the last version when GM got out of Medium duty), Ford/International 7.3, 6.0,6.4 and the Ford built 6.7L with torqshift transmissions are all medium duty truck powertrains. In fact the GM 8.1L gas and Ford 6.8L gas are also medium duty truck engines.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #13

James and Cummins,
Would somebody please define medium duty?
LD? MD? HD?
I am lost here....I was under the impression that all mfgs have light duty trucks--Ford: 150/250/350/450. GM: 1500/2500/3500. Dodge: 1500/2500/3500/4500. Once past that, where are you?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All three have things about them I don't like. But the Ram has less of them. Do your research and get the one you like the most.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote