Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
I believe the OP asked for opinion on tire types and air pressure not your opinion on what type of vehicle you like or dislike
My opinion was not about the type of vehicle he drives, I drive the same type. My opinion is about degrading the vehicle. If he is concerned about his wife and 3 girls, he (and you) would man up and do everything to improve safety.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #16

Lynnmor, I appreciate the input along with everyone else that has been willing to provide some guidance.

I believe you mean, research and pay to have the truck made as safe as possible, when you say man up. If not, maybe you can elaborate further.

No one has posted a reply to my post above, so I'm going to assume I haven't went to far astray. The height is 1" higher than an F350, not extreme. Tires are and will remain, load range E, rated above what the truck is rated for, and be from a good manufacturer.

I will look at brakes, and suspension upgrades, along with gearing if needed.

Other than that, I need to drive safe..be alert, stay within the truck and trailer load limits. Which would be advice you would probably give anyone towing a trailer, regardless of experience. I'll know more as I start to tow with it. But, it sounds like, this is a decent rig and will safely tow the MPG 2800QB better than what the F150 Ecoboost was able to do.
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #17

2014 F250 Lariat 6.7L Diesel - Tire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Lifting a truck, using oversize tires that negatively affects gearing and using tread that is less than ideal on the highways, is not something that I would do.

It's all said right there.

Any thing that raises COG, disturbs factory suspension tuning, and uses a non highway tire is simply a bad idea for towing.

Steering and braking is everything. As bad as pickups are, towing makes them worse.

As with discussions about hitches, it won't matter until it does.

I travel nearly full time. I'll dare say I've seen more rollovers than RVers do. And I can tell you it's easy to predict which ones.

As a class, toy haulers are worst. Mainly for speed. We usually warn the other truckers on the CB, AND THEY ALREADY KNOW WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT. You'll see them slow and move toward the shoulder.

Then you'll start hearing the cracks about how it's too bad those children don't have a father. Baby Daddy be driving.

Lifted, with off-road tires? You're kidding, right?
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #18

I did get a bit sharp with you, but you need to give up on altering a truck for appearance and only do things that will make it better. That, for the most part, means leaving it stock.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #19

Well, thanks again for taking the time and providing some guidance. Much appreciated. Factory might be an option but most likely not, I'll know more on Tuesday. If only I would have posted before buying this lifted beast.

I'll be looking at a return to factory, along with brake enhancement, air bags in the back or ??, and a bomb proof drop hitch for the Equalizer WD/Anti-Sway hitch. Good time to upgrade the tires on the trailer as well.

I won't speed like those craaaaaaazy toy haulers, and I'm definitely getting a cb now

Mike
Old 12-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #20

I wanted to get a more efficient tire that could also be recapped so I put on Bridgestone Duravis R250's on my DRW one ton. I was chewing up brake pads every six month front and back and this went on for three years until I started digging up information on these tires. Each side had 22lbs of extra rubber on those dual wheels and the rotors were really struggling to get all that weight to stop spinning. That was an expensive lesson!
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 AM   #21

Often times if not all the time.... manufacturers of pick up trucks offer suspension options and tire options.

Vehicle height is changed as well as adding larger tires. These modest changes do not make a vehicle unsafe. There can be almost 4" difference in height over basic configuration while remaining inside design parameters. The most likely 'cause of unsafe operation of a vehicle is a loose nut behind the wheel.

MLiljen... your fine. However I would add a sway bar if you do not have one already. Try to keep the aspect ratio low (numerically)so not as much sidewall flex.

Opinionated gum bumpers are prevalent.

Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #22

Thank you. The tire calculator link you provided earlier was great. I appreciate your input. I'll check into sway bars as well.

I am really enjoying the truck.

Mike
Old 12-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #23

Best tires will be Michelin LTX or Bridgestone Duravis. The latter lasts longer. Either can last over 100k. But if one or other was an OEM offering, it's a decent bet. Not so other brands. Stock sizing.

Best hitch is a Hensley or its improved design, Pro Pride. Other designs obsolete. Unless one prefers drum brakes and bias ply tires to discs and radials. The difference is actually greater. A cheap upgrade versus benefit.

LT trailer tires is a worthwhile change. Duravis 250 best value in E range.

Same for upgrade on suspension to torsion. Dexter or Mor/ryde. Trailer stability change is big. Wheel travel is doubled. Fully independent.

Air bags not needed. A crutch. Can actually screw up stability. Need to set WD hitch via scale readings. Same for setting TV tire pressure. Do not overinflate.

Greaseable polyurethane antiroll bar bushings on truck as well as Bilstein shocks. Rear Panhard Rod worth considering.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLiljen View Post
Thank you. The tire calculator link you provided earlier was great. I appreciate your input. I'll check into sway bars as well.

I am really enjoying the truck.

Mike
Mike
Don't worry about the naysayers your truck is safe and fine. I hAve built off road trucks for 40 years and have hauled heavy equipment for the same. If a truck is built correctly you could have an 11" lift and be perfectly legal and safe hauling your trailer. I currently pull a 17500 fiver with a 15 denali dually with 6" lift and 35" tires no issues whatsoever
Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #25

Wednesday, Randy's Ring and Pinion is going to change the gears. I'm still not 100% sure what gearing I am going to end up with. Will look at what's best on Wednesday.

4 Wheel Parts looked at my truck. It's a 4 inch lift. MBPR Exhaust. MiniMaxx Tuner.

This is what I'm moving forward with next week:

Power Stop extreme duty towing rotors and pads
Hellwig Sway Bars
Front Steering Stabilizer Upgrade
CB, and of course... a train horn.

Trailer tires are currently Vail Sport ST.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLiljen View Post
Wednesday, Randy's Ring and Pinion is going to change the gears. I'm still not 100% sure what gearing I am going to end up with. Will look at what's best on Wednesday.

4 Wheel Parts looked at my truck. It's a 4 inch lift. MBPR Exhaust. MiniMaxx Tuner.

This is what I'm moving forward with next week:

Power Stop extreme duty towing rotors and pads
Hellwig Sway Bars
Front Steering Stabilizer Upgrade
CB, and of course... a train horn.

Trailer tires are currently Vail Sport ST.
All good choices.

Just a word of advise from experience.... if you can get stainless steel brake lines do so, all of them, and have the brake fluid flushed.
Make sure the emergency brake works and adjusted.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #27
IC2

For sure the Power Stop Extreme brakes (Z36) are a great addition. Mine have two lengthy trips (~15,000 miles total) including the mountains of the West and Northeast. Stop great and with no fade plus still have 10mm left of life per NY State inspection. Just make sure you break them in according to Power Stop to prevent possible cracked rotors, especially if you have opted for the drilled and slotted versions.. That break in criteria is on their web site though may not be in the boxes of brake pads. The rest of your items, IMHO, just fine. A Hellwig sway bay may go on the rear of my truck in the spring, replacing Ford's bent paper clip (love to have a train horn, but I have enough other projects to keep me busy).
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #28

Ok, I'm nearly sold on ProPride Hitch. No Sway, ever. Woot. However, it seems like there are lots of little parts. Plus, the additional weight.

How hard is the P3 to use when you are parked on non-paved, non-level campsites?

The other thing I noticed is on the "What's improved" section of the pro pride site, they really mention some undesirable characteristics of the Arrow. Parts prone to warping/breaking, etc. Which would actually cause problems underway. I guess that's what makes me uncomfortable about the P3 too... if any of those little parts come loose...could be big problems right? YIKES. Maybe Equilizer is the way to go?

Tags
diesel