Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 3.0 ecodiesel. How heavy is too heavy?

My wife and I are looking at buying our first trailer. For weekends, week-long trips, and maybe (maybe???) a short term full-time as we look for a new house after a move.

The wife is looking at 31' trailers with GVW right at the max of what our Jeep is rated at. The tow capacity for our Jeep is 7200 lbs.

I am looking more like 26', with 2000 lbs of leeway.

Most important, I want the trailer to be comfortably towed behind the diesel Grand Cherokee. I do not want to build up anxiety at every hill and valley.

What would be a safe "comfortable" sized trailer to tow with this jeep?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would be ok with a trailer more in the 4-5000 range at the top end. The GC is a bit short wheelbased to be really stable, and the Ecodiesel is a bit underpowered for real heavy towing. Probably be fine on flat land but not so great in the mountains.

You really need to look at what payload capacity your jeep has. The sticker on the driver door sill should tell you exactly how much you have available on your model, don't go by the brochure because those are numbers for the base model with no options. That cargo capacity is what you can carry in the jeep including passengers and tongue weight of the trailer. A 5000 pound gross weight trailer should have a tongue weight of 600 pounds or more so you will not have much room for anything but a passenger or two and maybe an ice chest.

There is no way I would tow a 31' 7000 pound trailer with your GC. It might be ok with a flat utility trailer but not a big square sail on wheels.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Heed the above warning. Remember, it's not how much you can tow, it's how much you can haul.

You will run out of payload capacity long before you reach that 7200 lbs tow limit.

Typically, tow limits are just a selling point and really don't have much value.

A typical TT will have a tongue weight of about 12 or 13% of the TT's "actual" weight.

So, find your payload capacity and remember "everything" you put on the Jeep will reduce that amount. Don't forget the weight of the weight distribution hitch also.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:08 AM   #4

Agree with the above posts. Tow rating has very little meaning. What the tow rating really means is you can pull a hay wagon out of a farmers field that weighs 7200 lbs. On a hay wagon, if you can envision you can have a lot of weight on the wagon but anyone can pick up the handle and connect it to the tractor. There is no weight on the tongue. That is what the tow rating means.

A camping type trailer will actually put as much as 20% of it's weight on the tongue. So a 5,000 lb trailer could put 1,000lbs of weight on you little tow vehicle. Agree with looking at the door jam sticker to see hi w much weight you can haul or carry.

Do not listen to a salesman as they will say you can tow a 31' trailer when in reality you need a 3/4 ton truck to tow a 31' trailer on the highway at 65mph.

To look at trailers you can tow look at the T@B, A-liner, AR One.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #5

Great info guys!!!

That was what I was afraid of...having a salesman tell me it is just fine, and being miserable every time we tow it.

So, based on this, is 4000-5000 lbs still the most I should be looking at?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

There should be another sticker that shows the payload rating.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Realistically, you'll probably be safe with a 16 - 24' ultralight. Look at the trailer gvwr, not the dry weight. Add about 100-250lbs to the stated hitch weight to account for batteries, propane, hitch, gear in the trailer.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

OK, I will look for payload rating when I get home.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

The DW is always right. If you don't get what she likes you will be trading 2 units later. Better get the proper unit and then get a better TV later if required.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

OK, I am not finding any other stickers that show payload rating. I even looked back by the trailer hitch area...
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

The JEEP website lists this, though.

LIMITED
Class III – Heavy Duty
Trailer Tow Group
(Optional)
Max towing: 7,200 pounds, 4WD
Max payload: 1270 pounds, 4WD

Does this mean the trailer max weight is 7200 and tongue weight plus whatever is inside the jeep including my fat butt has to be 1270 or less?

If so, we are still looking at 4k to 5k trailer to be comfortable, right?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

Payload = people +gear +weight of the hitch +tongue weight. The lighter trailers will (usually) have a lighter tongue weight. If you are concerned about real tongue weight (not the false number in the brochure) you could list it in the contract with the weight distribution hitch installed, battery and full propane.

If this is your first trailer /RV, I'd suggest getting something used, maybe 3-5 years old and see how you like it.

You can also rent small travel trailers. It just as expensive as a hotel room but that might give you an idea of what you want and what you need.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #13

I don't think weight will necessarily be the problem. You can modify the Jeep with proper tires, suspension, brakes, etc and it could handle more of a load. The ecodiesel will pull 7k fine. It's the length that it the issue. I pulled a 26ft TT with a buick Rainier V8 and power wise it was great. Sway was a huge issue however
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #14

Don't they make bars to help with the sway?

We have been getting Trailer Life magazine for a couple years, and have been wishing and hoping, and researching what is good, and what typically goes wrong.

There is always an ad for some sway bars.

Of course, just gonna add to the weight at the hitch...

Tags
diesel