Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmindog View Post
Thanks again for your valued input. You may find this interesting. I found it quite incredulous. I took the cashier's check to the dealer the other day and was told that on the way back from detailing the truck's check engine light came on. Oil was added. Not sure what all went on, but end result is it had to be towed back to dealer and they are going to pull the engine this week to see what it needs, but are thinking it likely needs a new engine. I kept my check. They will let me know if they are going to drop a new engine in it at their expense, but I don't really think this is very likely and wouldn't settle for anything less than a new engine and proof of such. In the waiting game right now and looking at other vehicles.

Unfortunately, the newer (2013) 3500 dually vehicles we have found in our price range ($35k or less) and less than 40k miles are lemon law or factory repurchased vehicles. I am beginning to think we are on an impossible quest.
Look at new trucks Ram 2500, and 3500 have some pretty good incentives.
Here locally, it is cheaper to buy a new truck than a used truck.
I looked at a 2014 Ram with 78k on it for 45k, and while it had more options on it than a new tradesman, it was still running out of warranty, and for less I could buy new, with a full warranty.
Trucks at auction right now are bringing 1500-4k over book around here.
I am seriously looking at the 3500, or a maybe 2500. I see 2500s pulling some big 5th wheels around, but for the same money, I will go with a 3500, and pull anything I ever want.
That all said, I really love the new Titan XD cummins Diesel better than the Ram for reliability, but it only has a 12-12,800 towing capacity, but it does come with a goose neck setup already
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 03:33 AM   #30

Just curious what data you are using to claim better reliability from the 5.0L cummins in the Nissan vs. The 6.7L Cummins in the Ram?

The Titans are interesting trucks, but lack sufficient payload capacity for really any 5er. They have no more payload than most 1/2 tons.

Rams also come with the Gooseneck hitch if you get the 5th wheel prep package..

PS... all those 3/4 tons you see pulling 5ers are overloaded. Again it's payload you need to watch, not the towing capacity, which tends to be a lofty marketing # that is unreachable without exceeding payload and or RAWR.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #31

Better reliability in the 5.0 Cummins? They've hardly sold any to begin with and haven't been on the road long enough to find out how reliable they are. Where do people come up with this stuff?
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing