Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #29

Hey... I don't believe there was a max tow package available in 04... It was a 7200lb GCVW if that helps.

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #30

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Hey... I don't believe there was a max tow package available in 04... It was a 7200lb GCVW if that helps.
Thank you!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
GM had the 1500 HD from '00 to '06 I believe. The 1/2 ton truck had a 8600 GVWR with 6084 RAWR and LT E tires and wheels. Its came with the 6.0 engine 4L80 and a 3.73/4.10 gears with a 10k-11k tow rating and over 3k lb payload.

Its a very popular truck for those looking at used 1/2 ton trucks and not looking for a 3/4 ton HD truck.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #32

I have been comparing the 2014 1500 and 2500. The 1500 CC 4x4 with the 5.3 and 3.42 has a max conventional tow rating of 9600# with a GCWR of 15,000#. The 2500 CC 4x4 with the 6.0 and 3.73 has a max conventional tow rating of 9900# with a GCWR of 16,000#. How are these numbers so similar for such different trucks? Where is the benefit in going with the 2500? Not looking to get flamed here, I just want to know before I drop the money. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller303KDS View Post
I have been comparing the 2014 1500 and 2500. The 1500 CC 4x4 with the 5.3 and 3.42 has a max conventional tow rating of 9600# with a GCWR of 15,000#. The 2500 CC 4x4 with the 6.0 and 3.73 has a max conventional tow rating of 9900# with a GCWR of 16,000#. How are these numbers so similar for such different trucks? Where is the benefit in going with the 2500? Not looking to get flamed here, I just want to know before I drop the money. Thanks!
That's one reason I'd never buy a GM truck. Ford and Ram both offer way more towing capacity. Ford's @12,200 with 3.73's and Rams @12,500 with 3.73's. Both have more HP&TQ.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #34

Quote:
I haven't looked but the bigger difference is probably the payload capacity. Which you run out of on a 1/2 ton after loading the truck and adding the tongue weight of the TT.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #35

Quote:
The trucks are apples vs oranges.
HP isn't a very good indicator of a good towing machine.
Lets look at the package. In a drag race the lighter 1500 may out run the heavier 2500 truck....if your into drag racin'.

Towing is a completely different environment.

The 1500 has those light weight semi floating rear axle at 39xx lb RAWR with around 1800 lbs payload that will be carrying the load......on P tires
The 2500 has the 6000 lb RAWR and is a HD full floating rear axle and has a 3351 lb payload.....on LT E tires and wheels.

The tranny in the 2500 is rated for more hp/torque and is a heavier duty 6L90E tranny than the 6L80e in the 1500 truck.

Move up to the 4.10 gears in the 2500 and you get 13000 lb tow rating.

Good luck on your choice.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #36

Why has payload capacity not been discussed? It's more than just about "towing capacity". And if the OP orders options like crew cab, 4x4 and long box, the actual payload capacity can take a big hit.

If I were the OP, I would consider a 3/4 ton truck not just for towing and payload capacity, but the brakes, frame and suspension are beefier and it makes a big difference. After going from a 1/2 ton to 3/4, I'd never go back unless we had something small to tow. Maybe the new 3/4T trucks are not that bad on mileage for a DD?

But then, if the huge trailer you want to buy is a "1/2 ton towable", the salesman is right, your 1/2 ton can tow it no problem....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #37

I reviewed both the GM and Ford recently and ended up going with a 2013 Ford F-150 Platinum Ecoboost with Max Tow (3.73 gears) with max towing capacity of 11,100.

I chose this truck for the following reasons:
  • Much better incentives and deals on the 2013 vs. the 2014 GMs that are still fairly new and do not have much for incentives yet.
  • No Towing mirror option on any of the GM 1/2 tons. I still cannot believe that this was not an option. I am so far loving my power telescoping/folding tow mirrors on my Ford even when not towing. I can see so much better with these mirrors. BTW, if you end up going with a GM, I would strongly encourage you to buy slip on towing mirrors of some kind. There are a lot of options out there.
  • Ecoboost engine crushes the GM in my opinion when it comes to towing, primarily because of the low-end torque who's sweet spot is in the roughly 2000 rpm range verses the GM that doesn't reach max torque until close to red-line. I have traveled without a trailer on some hills (big hills for ND / 2-3 percent grade) that would have typically dropped me into 5th if not 4th gear and got my RPMs up to 3000-4000 in my 2011 Avalanche with 3:42 gears. On the ford, the RPMs don't budge a bit (1,700 @ 70MPH) and I stay in 6th gear all the way up the hill. The only thing that happens is that I hear that sweet sound of my twin turbo's spinning up.
  • I have typically been a GM guy as my previous four vehicles (1993 Silverado, 1999 Tahoe, 2009 Avalanche, and 2011 Avalanche) have all been Chevys. So I have nothing against the GMs at all. It is just that based on my analysis and my need to tow a 7,500lb loaded camper, the F150 Ecoboost just fit the bill better for me. Like many have said, a 3/4 ton would probably be the best even for the Ford with 11,200 towing capacity primarily because I am real close to going over my max Payload while being way below the towing capacity. But I live in ND and my longest drive is 150 miles on for the most part very flat roads.
  • I know most will say that the new GMs interior is better than the other 1/2 tons out there. But for me (personal opinion only here), there is something about the new GM interior that I just didn't really care for. I cannot really explain why. I just really like the way the Ford's interior is laid out.
  • Most of the 2014 GM models that I was looking at were significantly more than the Ford and most did not include features such as running boards that would have added even more cost. In the end, the aftermarket stuff that I would have wanted on would have cost me even more.
This all being said, if you do go with the GM, I would strongly advise you to get the 3.73 gears vs. the 3.42's as the difference in MPG is very minimal and you will bump your towing capacity to 11,200 for a 4X4 and 11,400 for a 4X2 and a GCWR of 16,700 vs. 15,000 on the 3.42.

Sorry for the wordy response. But these were my thoughts as I just went through a purchase 2 weeks ago. While they are only my thoughts/opinions, I may have given you some things to think about as you review your options.
NDKoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #38

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Please don't say sorry for the "wordy" response! Your thoughtful comments are much better than the "just buy an XYZ truck because it's more better"...

Your review and analysis seems to follow a similar path to my own. I really did like the '14 GM trucks I recently test drove, but cannot resolve the huge difference in price for what I believe at best is only a marginally better truck.

One difference in our perspectives is that I remain a tad skeptical of the EcoBoost motor, just not a big fan of that technology. Time will tell! LOL.

And the other differing viewpoint is the interior design...but that's just a matter of taste, and to each his own! I think the Ford dashboard in particular is sort of...ugly? LOL

And...at least in our local market...it appears that we could go for a 250 for only a couple grand more an a 150. Not sure that will be true when we get ready to buy, but I will be keeping that in mind!

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate it!

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Please don't say sorry for the "wordy" response! Your thoughtful comments are much better than the "just buy an XYZ truck because it's more better"...

Your review and analysis seems to follow a similar path to my own. I really did like the '14 GM trucks I recently test drove, but cannot resolve the huge difference in price for what I believe at best is only a marginally better truck.

One difference in our perspectives is that I remain a tad skeptical of the EcoBoost motor, just not a big fan of that technology. Time will tell! LOL.

And the other differing viewpoint is the interior design...but that's just a matter of taste, and to each his own! I think the Ford dashboard in particular is sort of...ugly? LOL

And...at least in our local market...it appears that we could go for a 250 for only a couple grand more an a 150. Not sure that will be true when we get ready to buy, but I will be keeping that in mind!

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate it!

Cheers!
From what I am reading (consumer reports) and hearing (friend of mine that use to work at ford dealership) they are having quite a bit of problems with the eco boost. Trailer life magazine had some write in asking for help with problems. I am by no means an expert, just stating you might want to look into this before you drop your hard earned cash on a problem. Just my $.02.
Chad
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
From what I am reading (consumer reports) and hearing (friend of mine that use to work at ford dealership) they are having quite a bit of problems with the eco boost. Trailer life magazine had some write in asking for help with problems. I am by no means an expert, just stating you might want to look into this before you drop your hard earned cash on a problem. Just my $.02.
Chad

The only issue with the Ecoboost engine if you want to call it an issue is moisture builds up in the intercooler. This is because the intercooler is too efficient and cools the air down to much. When this occurs the moisture I the air will drop down to the bottom of the intercooler. When you go to hit the gas hard the moisture will be picked up and ingested into the motor and will cause a misfire. The majority of the affected trucks are those that baby it for the best gas mileage. Those that "exercise" it don't have the issue. Ford has a TSB out to help correct the condition. However it falls short because there is no test drive afterwards. I have found that after the repair there is a misfire and plugs are needed. This more falls on the line of the technician for not verifying his (or her) work and causing repeat repairs.

The other big concern with customers was the 2011's with a take off shudder. This was do the soft ride of the truck and soft springs. On take off there would some axle wrap and induce a shudder. Engineering called this characteristic but did have a TSB to verify that it was within the characteristic levels. When I worked at Ford I had an 11 to drive and noticed this also. I also felt a truck of this price range should not do this but cant fight engineering.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #41

Well I decided on the Silverado. Bare with me as I explain why..... I had a 2009 Ram 1500 that I traded in at a Chevy dealer 80 miles away for a used 2011 Ram 2500 CTD back in August. The 2500 had some alignment/drivability issues from the start. I took it to a Dodge dealer near the house to have checked out and was told there were some bent suspension parts under the front end and they wanted $800 to repair. I called the Chevy dealer where it was purchased to let them know there was damage and it needs to be resolved. They agreed to take it to a Dodge dealer they work with to have fixed. That Dodge dealer claims they replaced a tie rod end and a ball joint and lined up the truck. After getting the truck back, it reverted to having issues after 100 miles of driving again. I took it to a third Dodge dealer where they told me the same as the first, it was wrecked and there were signs of half effort repairs. I called the Chevy dealer and told them the third dealer said the same as the first and I wanted out of this truck because my confidence in this truck was gone. My original thought was to get my old 1500 back and start my search again. Well over the 8 weeks that this was happening, they sold my 1500. I was now at the mercy of the Chevy dealer. It was either keep the wrecked 2500 or buy a Chevy. They located me a new 2013 2500 D-Maxx but I could not afford the $50k price tag and they had a hard time finding a 6.0 2500. The next option was a 1500 on the lot. So, with all that being said, the choice was a wrecked truck with major repairs needed and no guarantee that nothing else would rear its ugly head or buy the Silverado 1500.
I now have the 1500 but have since added a 2" level in the front and a 1" taller block in the rear and some 10 ply tires. Future plans include some Firestone bags in the rear as well. I know the truck will have to exert a little effort to pull my TT, but I should be well within my capacities. Payload on the truck is important, I know. I am figuring with a full tank, myself, the DW, and small kids and tongue weight, i should be around 1300lbs. The tag says payload max is 1700lbs. Tow rating is 9600lbs and the last time I weighed the TT loaded was 7200lbs. I do not haul wood and the only things in the bed are usually a wagon and a small bike. Ideally I would like another 2500 but it did not work out. We will find out In the spring how it does. I appreciate everyone's input. It was taken into consideration as much as it could be given my situation. This is a great forum and resource. Keep up the great work irv2 members!!
Steve
Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

The only issue with the Ecoboost engine if you want to call it an issue is moisture builds up in the intercooler. This is because the intercooler is too efficient and cools the air down to much. When this occurs the moisture I the air will drop down to the bottom of the intercooler. When you go to hit the gas hard the moisture will be picked up and ingested into the motor and will cause a misfire. The majority of the affected trucks are those that baby it for the best gas mileage. Those that "exercise" it don't have the issue. Ford has a TSB out to help correct the condition. However it falls short because there is no test drive afterwards. I have found that after the repair there is a misfire and plugs are needed. This more falls on the line of the technician for not verifying his (or her) work and causing repeat repairs.

The other big concern with customers was the 2011's with a take off shudder. This was do the soft ride of the truck and soft springs. On take off there would some axle wrap and induce a shudder. Engineering called this characteristic but did have a TSB to verify that it was within the characteristic levels. When I worked at Ford I had an 11 to drive and noticed this also. I also felt a truck of this price range should not do this but cant fight engineering.
Trailer life magazine had someone write in about fuel getting into his oil. A dealer had changed several things and still not remedied the problem. Again, I am not expert just what I read, and you know everything on the internet is true????
chad