Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Trailer life magazine had someone write in about fuel getting into his oil. A dealer had changed several things and still not remedied the problem. Again, I am not expert just what I read, and you know everything on the internet is true????
chad

The only ways fuel could get into the oil would be from an injector leaking into the combustion chamber so bad it was bypassing the rings. Never heard of that happening but it could be possible. But there would be heavy smoke and very bad running conditions. The other would be from the high pressure fuel pump. It is camshaft driven and if a seal was bad I could see where it would leak fuel into the oil. Im certain that the issue was limited to that specific vehicle. Not a design wide problem from the history I have seen with the engine since inception. You have to remember one offs don't account for much. Every manufacture has an engine/fuel related issue every now and then.

Your right also, everything on the internet seems to be true. LOL. Cant tell you how many people bring in something from the internet and want it done to their car because they think it should be done and Ford should pay. Then you show them how their car is not the same as the one on the internet or does not related anyway to their vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

The only ways fuel could get into the oil would be from an injector leaking into the combustion chamber so bad it was bypassing the rings. Never heard of that happening but it could be possible. But there would be heavy smoke and very bad running conditions. The other would be from the high pressure fuel pump. It is camshaft driven and if a seal was bad I could see where it would leak fuel into the oil. Im certain that the issue was limited to that specific vehicle. Not a design wide problem from the history I have seen with the engine since inception. You have to remember one offs don't account for much. Every manufacture has an engine/fuel related issue every now and then.

Your right also, everything on the internet seems to be true. LOL. Cant tell you how many people bring in something from the internet and want it done to their car because they think it should be done and Ford should pay. Then you show them how their car is not the same as the one on the internet or does not related anyway to their vehicle.
I agree James, a lot of problems are singled out to one vehicle and not widespread. I believe in TL magazine he said they had changed injectors, but not 100% for sure. Sometimes things he blown out of proportion.
Chad

Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller303KDS View Post
Well I decided on the Silverado. Bare with me as I explain why..... I had a 2009 Ram 1500 that I traded in at a Chevy dealer 80 miles away for a used 2011 Ram 2500 CTD back in August. The 2500 had some alignment/drivability issues from the start. I took it to a Dodge dealer near the house to have checked out and was told there were some bent suspension parts under the front end and they wanted $800 to repair. I called the Chevy dealer where it was purchased to let them know there was damage and it needs to be resolved. They agreed to take it to a Dodge dealer they work with to have fixed. That Dodge dealer claims they replaced a tie rod end and a ball joint and lined up the truck. After getting the truck back, it reverted to having issues after 100 miles of driving again. I took it to a third Dodge dealer where they told me the same as the first, it was wrecked and there were signs of half effort repairs. I called the Chevy dealer and told them the third dealer said the same as the first and I wanted out of this truck because my confidence in this truck was gone. My original thought was to get my old 1500 back and start my search again. Well over the 8 weeks that this was happening, they sold my 1500. I was now at the mercy of the Chevy dealer. It was either keep the wrecked 2500 or buy a Chevy. They located me a new 2013 2500 D-Maxx but I could not afford the $50k price tag and they had a hard time finding a 6.0 2500. The next option was a 1500 on the lot. So, with all that being said, the choice was a wrecked truck with major repairs needed and no guarantee that nothing else would rear its ugly head or buy the Silverado 1500.
I now have the 1500 but have since added a 2" level in the front and a 1" taller block in the rear and some 10 ply tires. Future plans include some Firestone bags in the rear as well. I know the truck will have to exert a little effort to pull my TT, but I should be well within my capacities. Payload on the truck is important, I know. I am figuring with a full tank, myself, the DW, and small kids and tongue weight, i should be around 1300lbs. The tag says payload max is 1700lbs. Tow rating is 9600lbs and the last time I weighed the TT loaded was 7200lbs. I do not haul wood and the only things in the bed are usually a wagon and a small bike. Ideally I would like another 2500 but it did not work out. We will find out In the spring how it does. I appreciate everyone's input. It was taken into consideration as much as it could be given my situation. This is a great forum and resource. Keep up the great work irv2 members!!
Steve
Good luck with the new truck! I think you will be just fine with it and will appreciate the improved MPGs over the 2500.

I will be looking forward to you resurrecting this thread in the spring after you have towed the TT to let us know how it went.
NDKoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #46

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ditto and...ditto!