RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #85

Biggest concern isnít how much can your truck tow but how much weight can it stop. Even small engines can pull the weight but can the same vehicle stop the weight after you overload it with your gear.

richndonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
we have a freedom express 246rks that weighs under 6000# when towing. it is 28' front to back . I pulled it with the '17 gmc sierra 4x4 ccsb 5.3 with 3.42 gears that I had and it towed fine but struggled. I saw 4000 rpms a lot on even moderate hills and getting on the freeway and up to speed was hard on it. the '19 ram 1500 5.7 with 8 speed and 3.92 rear end I have now does a much better job of moving it. 28'-30' is about as long as I would pull with a truck this size. occasional cross wind gusts or big rigs passing at 80 mph give us quite a jolt.
I can't imagine I struggling on moderate inclines. did you tow in the tow haul mode? I can pull 3-4 % grades easily in 4th gear 60 at about 3200 rpms. I frequently travel I5 in Oregon and cross the Siskiyou pass, its about 4-5 mi. up at apr. 6% grade. I can go up it at a steady 60mph at 4000rpms. if I have to slow for a truck or something I can pick up my speed to 60 easy. you shouldn't worry about running the engine to 4000rpms its made to do that. that's were it makes its most power, its not an old Stove Bolt 6.
Jay D.

Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #87

Jay D - are you towing anything when going up the 3 - 4% grades at 60 mph easy? And just so you know an gasoline powered engine running at 2,500RPM's will last longer than one running at 4,000RPM's.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Jay D - are you towing anything when going up the 3 - 4% grades at 60 mph easy? And just so you know an gasoline powered engine running at 2,500RPM's will last longer than one running at 4,000RPM's.
YES i'm pulling a 6500# t/t .you can speculate all you want, I actually do it . the engine should be fine running to 4000rpms, I've had to back out of it to keep it at 4000,that's were it makes its peek hp and torque. its made to run there. were not back in the stone age with a stove bolt 6 or flathead ford. we have new materials and technology now, we have 6 and 8 speed transmissions to keep use in that power band when we need it. not the old 2and 3 speeds
. probably better for it than you think it helps decarbon valves, combustion chambers and exhaust systems. and yes I do run about 2500 at 60 mph in hi gear on flat or secondary roads and with the trailer.
Jay D.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #89

I have a GM 5.3L GDI in my ski boat; the speed I ski requires about 4400 rpms (constantly under load) so that's where it runs most of the time. I don't have any concerns whatsoever about running a modern gas engine constantly in this range under a load. Of course, my ski boat uses a raw water cooler and it runs pretty cool, all the time. My only real concern towing in a truck in this RPM range (other than noise) would regard cooling, especially the tranny. But if you got a good tranny cooler and the temps stay in check I don't see any problem pulling some hills in the 4k rpm range with a newer gas engine if you can tolerate the engine noise.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 AM   #90

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
I have a GM 5.3L GDI in my ski boat; the speed I ski requires about 4400 rpms (constantly under load) so that's where it runs most of the time. I don't have any concerns whatsoever about running a modern gas engine constantly in this range under a load. Of course, my ski boat uses a raw water cooler and it runs pretty cool, all the time. My only real concern towing in a truck in this RPM range (other than noise) would regard cooling, especially the tranny. But if you got a good tranny cooler and the temps stay in check I don't see any problem pulling some hills in the 4k rpm range with a newer gas engine if you can tolerate the engine noise.
It is a bit noisy. My temps stay about 180 to 190 in that range
Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #91

my temps stay right around 190 - 200. my trans did get up to 225 one time on a long pass in 100 deg. heat, only for a few min.
Jay D.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #92

I was towing a 26' TT with a 2005 chevy 5.3L 4 speed. Did about 12000 miles in it since last october (mostly towing) Sunday before labor day "blew" the engine in Mesquite NV. Told I need a new engine $6000. Had a friend tow it to Pahrump NV so I can decide what to do. Didn't really have a problem with towing. Could be a combination of the miles, hills I was pulling and the 111 degree weather. Now looking to see if I can put a larger engine in without having to replace everything else.
vanessa s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #93

Look at all aluminum and fiberglass construction. Theyíre lighter than other types. Our Keystone Passport 245 with couch, dinette and slide has a dry weight of 4500#, a CCC of 1200#, GVWR of 6200#. Our 5.7 Toyota Sequoia tows it easily, including on mountainous roads.
Tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa s View Post
I was towing a 26' TT with a 2005 chevy 5.3L 4 speed. Did about 12000 miles in it since last october (mostly towing) Sunday before labor day "blew" the engine in Mesquite NV. Told I need a new engine $6000. Had a friend tow it to Pahrump NV so I can decide what to do. Didn't really have a problem with towing. Could be a combination of the miles, hills I was pulling and the 111 degree weather. Now looking to see if I can put a larger engine in without having to replace everything else.
There are plenty whove done 6.0 swaps. If you get everything the ecm can probably be reprogrammed for the new motor. I looked into it a little with my tahoe, i think the throttle body was different but otherwise bolt in.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #95

a later model 5.3 will have more power and with a 6 speed auto you'd be good. but a 6.0 with the 4 speed might work good to. the more gears the better.
Jay D.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #96

I just realized why people are doing better nowadays with smaller engines and higher rear ends that the more senior here might be thinking of. The 6 to 8 speed transmissions and improved electronic shifting control of newer vehicles. They keep the engine in the max power and torque region: higher rpm.

So rear end ratio doesn’t matter anymore.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
I just realized why people are doing better nowadays with smaller engines and higher rear ends that the more senior here might be thinking of. The 6 to 8 speed transmissions and improved electronic shifting control of newer vehicles. They keep the engine in the max power and torque region: higher rpm.

So rear end ratio doesnít matter anymore.
YOUR RIGHT Larry, with the new transmissions you can shift it into the tow haul mode. that is the same as having a lower gear ratio in the axles, BUT only when you need it like towing. then with normal driving your out of the tow haul mode and higher geared for better fuel mileage ,you get the best of both worlds. we should have had 6 and 8 speeds years ago instead of the old 2 and 3 speed automatics.
Jay D.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
YOUR RIGHT Larry, with the new transmissions you can shift it into the tow haul mode. that is the same as having a lower gear ratio in the axles, BUT only when you need it like towing. then with normal driving your out of the tow haul mode and higher geared for better fuel mileage ,you get the best of both worlds. we should have had 6 and 8 speeds years ago instead of the old 2 and 3 speed automatics.
Jay D.
Kind of, not really type deal there. Trans gears effect the motor, lower diff gears make life easier on everything else in the drivetrain.

Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, tow, towing