Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #1

2015 F-150, anyone hear towing specs yet?

I have been looking for information on the 2015 F-150. So far Ford advertising is using the term 'military grade' aluminum. Also saying the the new truck will use more high strength steel and be 700lbs. lighter. This in turn will increase capabilities.

Does that mean a 2015 3.5 litre Eco-Boost with the right towing packages can tow more than 11,300lbs.?

A lighter truck will make a much better daily driver but a better tow vehicle?

How about the increase in MPG? About 2 or 3 across the board?

Should be interesting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talked to my dealer, couple of days ago, the lighter weight is the big difference.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

I heard they will be able to tow 13,500lbs and have a 5th wheel prep package that comes with a 2800lb payload.

Seriously though, you don't think 11,100lbs is enough? They can't even tow that when you factor in tongue weight and payload. Why ask for more.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #4

I think the tow ratings on trucks are not realistic for camping type trailers. A camping trailer catches way too much wind and 1/2 ton trucks can not control those 30' plus trailers.

The tow ratings might be ok for flat trailers that carry flat low cargo but again not camping trailers.

I would be interested in either Eco-Boost engine. Especially the new 2.7litre eco-boost with stop/start technology for the DW. I am hoping she will like the 2015 F-150. I would use the truck to tow a boat and 7,000lb aerodynamic Vantage trailer.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think the tow ratings on trucks are not realistic for camping type trailers. A camping trailer catches way too much wind and 1/2 ton trucks can not control those 30' plus trailers.

The tow ratings might be ok for flat trailers that carry flat low cargo but again not camping trailers.

I would be interested in either Eco-Boost engine. Especially the new 2.7litre eco-boost with stop/start technology for the DW. I am hoping she will like the 2015 F-150. I would use the truck to tow a boat and 7,000lb aerodynamic Vantage trailer.

I towed a 35 to 37 foot travel trailer with my F150 for over five years and in all types of weather conditions and would still be driving it but I upgraded to to fifth wheel and need a bigger truck.
I never had one minute of trouble even in windy conditions. I was pulling with a 5.4 with a 3.73 rear end.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
I towed a 35 to 37 foot travel trailer with my F150 for over five years and in all types of weather conditions and would still be driving it but I upgraded to to fifth wheel and need a bigger truck.
I never had one minute of trouble even in windy conditions. I was pulling with a 5.4 with a 3.73 rear end.
I feel sorry for you. I towed 7300lbs and 31' with a 5.4 and 3.73's and while it was okay on the flats it wasn't pretty in the mtns. 5.4's are pretty doggy compared to todays V8's and even Fords 3.5 V6.

Just wondering how a TT goes from 35-37'. I thought they stayed the same length when towing.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I feel sorry for you. I towed 7300lbs and 31' with a 5.4 and 3.73's and while it was okay on the flats it wasn't pretty in the mtns. 5.4's are pretty doggy compared to todays V8's and even Fords 3.5 V6.

Just wondering how a TT goes from 35-37'. I thought they stayed the same length when towing.

Don't feel sorry for me I went from west coast to the east in the mountains and in the flats and I was very please with my truck's performance. I sold that truck to a lady that pulls a large horse trailer and she is very pleased with it. I guess I should explained it better about the trailers that I was pulling, I did not feel that it was necessary but for you I will take the time. I had two 35 foot trailers and one 37 foot trailer.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
All you have to do is go to the Ford website and read them. Ford wont email them to you.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post

Don't feel sorry for me I went from west coast to the east in the mountains and in the flats and I was very please with my truck's performance. I sold that truck to a lady that pulls a large horse trailer and she is very pleased with it. I guess I should explained it better about the trailers that I was pulling, I did not feel that it was necessary but for you I will take the time. I had two 35 foot trailers and one 37 foot trailer.
We see it all the time here and all TT's here do get pulled with 1/2 tons. Even the biggest dealer delivers all the TT's with the 1/2 ton.
But I personally would be conserned towing a lite long trailer with any truck, they are disaster waiting to happen.
Heavy well balanced longer trailer can be more stable then lite short units as they tend to stay straight in the air. Side wind needs getting use to but weight helps a lot. That's why I get nervous towing to lite with large body.
My friend had a long lite unit and it tipped while doing a turn at a light and a puff of wind happened at the same time.
They had a long box crew cab 2500 that had a loaded box. The truck stayed up but the trailer ended on its side. I told him he would have been better had the load been in the trailer.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #10

Ford's still trying to figure out how to build the manufacturing equipment needed to produce the aluminum body truck. And they're going to be tearing down their current factory to install that newly invented machinery. Then, they're going to have to do the job over again to install the equipment in their second F150 factory.

With lighter weight trucks and a new small EcoBoost engine, I'm sure they'll get around to tow ratings when it's closer for the production date.

This will be a great year to buy at truck, as Ford's going to be running the SuperDuty factory flat out--making up for the F150's that are not going to be built during the months of retooling. Look for great sales incentives on F250's and F350's the rest of this year.

Tags
towing