Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #1

2015 F350 Super duty and Equalizer

Just upgraded to this truck from a F150. I am pulling a Jayco Featherlite 23RL TT. The WDH I've been using with the 150 is an EZ-Lift round bar, without any sway control. My first trip out was pretty good, but I am thinking about moving to an Equalizer. I am interested in their 4 point sway control. Will it work well with the F350?
PacNwCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

I do not see why not. I am thinking the 2015 F-350 will benefit from a WD and sway control device. Not as much as a smaller truck but some.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNwCamper View Post
My first trip out was pretty good, but I am thinking about moving to an Equalizer. I am interested in their 4 point sway control. Will it work well with the F350?
It will work great, compared to the cheap WD hitch you have been using. It should work with any tow vehicle that has at least a 2" receiver. If your F-350 has a 2.5" receiver, then be sure you get the Equal-I-Zer hitch that has a 2.5" shank. If your F-350 has a 3" receiver, then you need the 2.5" Equal-I-Zer plus an adapter sleeve that reduces the 3" receiver to 2.5".

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/find-your-shank-size

Videos on the Equal-I-Zer website say the Equal-I-Zer is the best WD hitch available. But that's sales hype. It's probably just as good, but no better than other high-end WD hitches including the Blue Ox SwayPro, Reese Strait-Line, and Husky CenterLine HD #31390. There are slightly better WD hitches available, including my ProPride, but they cost 4 or 5 times as much as the Equal-I-Zer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #4

Look at the Anderson wdh. I use it on my 11000 lb outback with ram 2500 Cummins. Large trucks like ours we need less weight distribution and more of the sway control. I love it. As a bonus it is light weight and eady to use install and adjust. Instead of heavy bars it is chains so much lighter and easy to handle.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get the Equalizer, you will not be disappointed.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #6

I'm sure you know this, but there is no need for a WDH on a F-350 for weight reason.
The hitch on the truck will be rated the towing capacity with a straight ball.

Now if you want it for sway control - completely understand, different story.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
I'm sure you know this, but there is no need for a WDH on a F-350 for weight reason.

Exactly, will be pulling through some windy country in the near future. I ordered the Equalizer, should be here next week.
PacNwCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post

I personally would disagree on this statement. With WD, I run mostly level but still get oncoming drivers to flash high beams in my face at night--because front end is raised up in the air. The Blue OX WD portion raises the back end close to 5 inches as compared to the level it would be without it (before I attach the WD bars and torque them down). As far as towing without the bars, the trailer and truck rock up and down a bit, like a porpoise(sp?) effect. Much less of that with WD attached, but rougher ride in general with WD attached. Entire chassis seems to bump around from front to rear with WD on.

So while sway control is the reason I purchased the Blue OX system, WD is VERY important.

My $0.02, Brian
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

Full disclosure, my TV is 2017 Ford F350 SRW CCSB, V8. cargo capacity is over 4,000#. My bumper pull GD trailer (297RSTS) has GVWR of 10,000#.
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

2015 F350 Super duty and Equalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugasman View Post
I personally would disagree on this statement. With WD, I run mostly level but still get oncoming drivers to flash high beams in my face at night--because front end is raised up in the air. The Blue OX WD portion raises the back end close to 5 inches as compared to the level it would be without it (before I attach the WD bars and torque them down). As far as towing without the bars, the trailer and truck rock up and down a bit, like a porpoise(sp?) effect. Much less of that with WD attached, but rougher ride in general with WD attached. Entire chassis seems to bump around from front to rear with WD on.

So while sway control is the reason I purchased the Blue OX system, WD is VERY important.

My $0.02, Brian

My owners manual says I’m good to 2100 lbs tongue weight with or without WD with a 3” shank. There is a 1000 lb counterweight 20’ from my hitch. Your truck doesn’t care if it’s level, it cares if you have adequate weight on the front axle to steer.

I get a better ride with less WD dialed in...I try to keep just enough tension in the Andersen to keep sway control working.

F350 DRW, ORV 24RKS, 7800/10k dry/gross, typically close to 2000 lbs in the bed.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNwCamper View Post
Just upgraded to this truck from a F150. I am pulling a Jayco Featherlite 23RL TT. The WDH I've been using with the 150 is an EZ-Lift round bar, without any sway control. My first trip out was pretty good, but I am thinking about moving to an Equalizer. I am interested in their 4 point sway control. Will it work well with the F350?
Most any WDH will work with any tow vehicle. Only issue is some vehicles aren't designed to handle WDH, like some unibody SUV's.
JMO from using an EQ is I'd opt for a Blu Ox WDH. Less messy and quieter.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #12

I have one works great. 2017 F250 6.2 with 4.30 axles.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350