Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #29

Why not buy a travel trailer. A 3/4 ton truck can tow some very nice TT.

Yikes...you wore out a 2012 Ram dually in 47,000 miles?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisansilve View Post
If you traveled the terrain I do in a one ton dually you would understand. It had seen some very harsh environments and took a large amount of abuse. Although it looked new with 47,000 miles they were hard miles. So it was time for me to have a new one, but then again I really didn't know I would be getting rid of my pusher to get a 5er. And another thing the new Denali matches my Skeeter 21I class perfect..
Ok, I understand harsh conditions and such, but then why a Denali?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #31

Go but be aware of the load and it will be OK.
I would add leafs for stability. Equal to the dually setup.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #32

Weigh the truck on a split scale for front and rear axle weights. My Dodge 2500 has a 3100# rear axle weight road ready, and about the same as your Denali 6200# capacity. Weigh the trailer and truck when you get it and that will tell you if you are over or under, and IF you need to go back to dually or get smaller trailer.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #33

Was just checking GMC ratings for a 2015 GMC 2500HD. States 14,500 conventional towing and 17,900 for 5th wheel. Also according to car news and reviews the 2015 Silverdao 2500HD conventional towing of 19,600 and 5th wheel cap of 23,200.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsfan116 View Post
Was just checking GMC ratings for a 2015 GMC 2500HD. States 14,500 conventional towing and 17,900 for 5th wheel. Also according to car news and reviews the 2015 Silverdao 2500HD conventional towing of 19,600 and 5th wheel cap of 23,200.

So this is where people get into serious trouble and think they can safely tow these monster 5er's.

23,200# 5er, will have a minimum 20% pin @ 4,640# and easily up to 25% @ 5,800# pin!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #35

I have the 15 GMC Denali, and we have a Sanibel Traveler bunkhouse model. Dry weight is 12,800 and the truck tows it amazing. We have been in the mountains and it performed flawlessly. When traveling through flat lands we run right at 70mph and get between 11-12 mpg. Very happy with the set up. I did not want dually if I did not have to have one.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShin View Post
I have the 15 GMC Denali, and we have a Sanibel Traveler bunkhouse model. Dry weight is 12,800 and the truck tows it amazing. We have been in the mountains and it performed flawlessly. When traveling through flat lands we run right at 70mph and get between 11-12 mpg. Very happy with the set up. I did not want dually if I did not have to have one.
So fill in the blanks as in your profile. 2500/3500? SB, LB? Scale weight hitched ready to travel? Do you tow your RV "DRY" ?

ST tires? 65 MPH speed rating on them if that's what you have.

You easily can have 16K behind your truck. At 20% that is 3,200# pin.

On the 11-12 MPG @ 70 is that looking at your lie O meter of hand calc traveling at 70 over several tanks or just one?

"truck tows it amazing" I am sure it does but the big question is it carrying the load within your rear tires limitations?
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #37

Either way you go make sure you have intregrate trailer braking. I checked with GM parts dept and it's 147.00 installed. I'm going thru the same decision and I'm playing it safe and going with the 2016 GMC 3500HD dullie.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Either way you go make sure you have intregrate trailer braking. I checked with GM parts dept and it's 147.00 installed. I'm going thru the same decision and I'm playing it safe and going with the 2016 GMC 3500HD dullie.

Good call!!!

You will love the rock solid feeling ALL conditions.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
So fill in the blanks as in your profile. 2500/3500? SB, LB? Scale weight hitched ready to travel? Do you tow your RV "DRY" ?

ST tires? 65 MPH speed rating on them if that's what you have.

You easily can have 16K behind your truck. At 20% that is 3,200# pin.

On the 11-12 MPG @ 70 is that looking at your lie O meter of hand calc traveling at 70 over several tanks or just one?

"truck tows it amazing" I am sure it does but the big question is it carrying the load within your rear tires limitations?
I understand why people are hesitant to post in these forums. If you read my post I said I did not want a dually. Sorry for being so misleading. It's a Single Rear Wheel Drive. It is a 2500. I tracked the mileage per tank on a 2000+ mile trip by hand. You know with a calculator and receipt. The truck is rated for a 3560lb payload. I just pulled it into a Catpillar certified scale this week on Tuesday to be exact. The total rig full weighed 22,600 if you subtract the 6200lbs for the truck I'm still well with the safe towing capacity of 17,400lbs. This included a half tank of fresh water and full propane tanks. The only thing missing was my underwear that still needed to be packed. The ST tires are being replaced this week with LT tires so I can safely travel at 70mph. That was an oversight on my behalf since I have only had the trailer for 90 days and I have not been camping for 30 years. So I guess my feedback is useless in this forum since I did not fill out my profile. My bad!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShin View Post
I understand why people are hesitant to post in these forums. If you read my post I said I did not want a dually. Sorry for being so misleading. It's a Single Rear Wheel Drive. It is a 2500. I tracked the mileage per tank on a 2000+ mile trip by hand. You know with a calculator and receipt. The truck is rated for a 3560lb payload. I just pulled it into a Catpillar certified scale this week on Tuesday to be exact. The total rig full weighed 22,600 if you subtract the 6200lbs for the truck I'm still well with the safe towing capacity of 17,400lbs. This included a half tank of fresh water and full propane tanks. The only thing missing was my underwear that still needed to be packed. The ST tires are being replaced this week with LT tires so I can safely travel at 70mph. That was an oversight on my behalf since I have only had the trailer for 90 days and I have not been camping for 30 years. So I guess my feedback is useless in this forum since I did not fill out my profile. My bad!

Payload? Towing capacity? The only thing that matters is what is the weight sitting on your rear TV tires? FACT is you will only add 100# or so to your front axle with your 5er.

Don't get defensive! You need to understand ALL the facts when it comes to what your truck can CARRY!

Your PROFILE saves people from asking questions so you can get the answer you are after.

That is great mileage! Most people don't had calc or if they do it's only one tank.

Have an open mine about the questions and comments on here. Most people are trying to help. That's how we all learn.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #41

2015 GMC HD2500 Denali capability

Quote:

I have a 24' TT and was pulling it with a Chevy Tahoe with proper WD hitch and sway bar. I made ONE round trip to Zion National Park from Las Vegas and had hand cramps and was a nervous wreck from fighting the sway. The short wheelbase of the Tahoe and the roar of the gas engine pulling the mountain grades made me realize a bigger truck was the only answer.
I ordered a new Chevy and got it last December. I wanted to get a 5th wheel when we are able to travel more, and knew this truck would pull the current trailer without any problem. OK, I did the homework, and I worked for the largest truck transportation company in the US for almost 21 years, so I am VERY aware of GVWR and axle weight ratings , etc. I ordered the new truck based on the ratings that you show above that is on the Chev site. THEY ARE FULL OF CRAP AND VERY MISLEADING !

My truck is a 2015 LTZ 2500 HD, 4x4, Duramax with the 6.5 bed and AMP, Inc. power steps added. Steps probably weigh around 100 lbs according to their info. I took the truck to a CAT scale and weighed it full of fuel and with my wife and myself onboard. (No, we are not large people) This would be the normal load when traveling, other than the stuff you load, but I knew this would be the starting point.
I was STUNNED. Weighed in at 8,140 lbs, which would only leave 1,860 lbs before we hit the GVWR of 10,000 lbs. Assuming a generator, maybe some firewood, and obviously a 5th wheel hitch in the bed, I am going to have to get a very light 5th wheel or just settle for a larger, newer TT. If most 5th wheels have 20% on the pin, a 17,000 trailer would be 3,400 lbs on the pin.
Chev is playing the "we are the best, the most powerful, the most payload, etc. game" that all manufacturers play. If you had a truck with NO fuel, a 150 lb driver and NO other passengers, not a four wheel drive with the added weight of an extra differential, no added steps or accessories, etc. you would still fall far short of that big of a trailer with the 10,000 lb GVWR rating of the truck. I knew beforehand that we didn't want a massive 5th wheel so we could get into smaller National Parks etc, but I did want the option of a quality, well insulated one that may weigh a little more.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill3111 View Post
I have a 24' TT and was pulling it with a Chevy Tahoe with proper WD hitch and sway bar. I made ONE round trip to Zion National Park from Las Vegas and had hand cramps and was a nervous wreck from fighting the sway. The short wheelbase of the Tahoe and the roar of the gas engine pulling the mountain grades made me realize a bigger truck was the only answer.
I ordered a new Chevy and got it last December. I wanted to get a 5th wheel when we are able to travel more, and knew this truck would pull the current trailer without any problem. OK, I did the homework, and I worked for the largest truck transportation company in the US for almost 21 years, so I am VERY aware of GVWR and axle weight ratings , etc. I ordered the new truck based on the ratings that you show above that is on the Chev site. THEY ARE FULL OF CRAP AND VERY MISLEADING !

My truck is a 2015 LTZ 2500 HD, 4x4, Duramax with the 6.5 bed and AMP, Inc. power steps added. Steps probably weigh around 100 lbs according to their info. I took the truck to a CAT scale and weighed it full of fuel and with my wife and myself onboard. (No, we are not large people) This would be the normal load when traveling, other than the stuff you load, but I knew this would be the starting point.
I was STUNNED. Weighed in at 8,140 lbs, which would only leave 1,860 lbs before we hit the GVWR of 10,000 lbs. Assuming a generator, maybe some firewood, and obviously a 5th wheel hitch in the bed, I am going to have to get a very light 5th wheel or just settle for a larger, newer TT. If most 5th wheels have 20% on the pin, a 17,000 trailer would be 3,400 lbs on the pin.
Chev is playing the "we are the best, the most powerful, the most payload, etc. game" that all manufacturers play. If you had a truck with NO fuel, a 150 lb driver and NO other passengers, not a four wheel drive with the added weight of an extra differential, no added steps or accessories, etc. you would still fall far short of that big of a trailer with the 10,000 lb GVWR rating of the truck. I knew beforehand that we didn't want a massive 5th wheel so we could get into smaller National Parks etc, but I did want the option of a quality, well insulated one that may weigh a little more.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
At least you do understand the REALITY of this whole game before you took on a RV that would grossly overload your TV.

Bottom line take your rear axle weight rating and subtract your actual rear axle weight that will give you the available pin weight.