Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

2016 Cherokee 3.2 and trailer combo

With the tow package and engine, 4,500#s is the tow rating with, I imagine, a hitch load of no more than 450-675#s (10-15%?).

We've been looking at the Forest River Flagstaff/Rockwood Micro-lite 21 FBRS/Mini-lite 2109S, which is the same trailer. They're in the 4000/460# rating with equipment, but no liquids.

Is this feasible or are we out of our league? Is a WD hitch needed/a requirement?

With this vehicle what is the realistic trailer weight/tongue weight we should be looking at instead or can we go ahead with our plans?

Trigger time is soon but decision is not irreversible. Really looking forward to your comments. We downsized from a newer 34' class A gasser and have no other trailering experience than pulling out dolly for several years (no weight/tongue weight problems it WD, using electric brakes and controller).
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

Your real world "wet" hitch weight is going to be 600+.
Keep in mind the 460 weight does not include propane tanks and battery... or hitch equipment.
Neverending anything in the camper.
So your already overloaded.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

Does a WD hitch help with this potential combo? If so, I understand they're rated by hitch weight. Would a 600-800# one help resolve this!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No, it will not resolve being over weight but it is required for proper towing unless you have an F350 with the same trailer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #5

Everything depends on the number of people you will be carrying in the Jeep, their weight + extra stuff in the trunk. If your payload is 1100 lb or more, I assume, 2-3 people will leave reasonable payload for the trailer tongue, but not more. WD hitch is must, as well as sway control. But ideally I would go for basic new or slightly used Grand Cherokee, even with 6 cylinders. This is a real thing if you need to tow and you can get a much better TT
Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

From the pre-sales catalog it says cargo capacity is 1,000. If that doesn't include the 15.5 gallons of gas and other fluids, it would be a lot less but I'm guessing they're taking that into consideration.

Between my wife, our dog and I, there's less than 400 pounds total so, in theory, we could take up to 600#s on the GVWR. Someone had said to reduce it by 100 pounds for the necessary WD equipment and our "wet" cargo capacity would be around 500#s but limited to the previously found 450#s mentioned elsewhere as appearing in the OM as it's not in the catalog.

We found a Winnie Micro Minni that has much less tongue weight, although it's not exactly what we want, and are considering it instead as it seems it will be OK w/weight about 3,800 and 10% on hitch.

First hurdle is for the dealer to accept my offer on the 2016 Cherokee Limited High Altitude 3.2 tow and other goodies that we've been going back and forth on. If they accept, we'll start then to find a TT that will fit our needs/likes and the capacity of this vehicle. The WD hitch question is answered in that we definitely need to get one regardless of the size/weight that we will finally be pulling.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

150 lb driver and full tank of fuel are included in Unloaded Vehicle weigh, payload or CCC come over it. Unfortunately, "loaded" vehicles may have dramatically reduced CCC, sometimes absurdly low, like 890 lb in Range Rover with 6 figures price tag. You should check drivers door sticker of the actual vehicle before you buy, as well as hitch receiver rating and its ability to accept WD hitch.
The weight of hitch hardware can be mostly disregarded, WD hitch will transfer about 15% of total hitch weight back to trailer axles, and it will cancel out almost all of these 100 lb.
Generally speaking, GVWR of the TV is more important than "towing capacity", I can pull 5000lb or 6000+ and feel no difference, but overloaded axle (without WD) will be felt right away.
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

Well we're closer. The CCC at 1000 seems good but I'll check the door jam if the deal goes through to make a more exacting calculation. Someone did tell me that even if there's capacity, Jeep limits tongue weight to 450#s. Wish I could find other similar Cherokee owners that tow to see what the do or have done. Thanks for the comments!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

It's definitely 1,000 CCC/4,500 tow/450 tongue. And the DW doesn't want a TT anymore. Good thing we can tow it 4 down after installing required mods. Will be going back to class A alts. Looks like Miramar 35.2. Thanks all for your help.