Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
2016 Chevy Colorado As Tow Vehicle

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado 4x4 with the 3.6L V-6 engine. It is the crew cab model with the long bed and trailer towing package. Other specs from the manufacturers VIN lookup for my vehicle are: GAWR--Front 3400, GAWR--Rear 3500, GVWR--6200, GCWR--12000, Wt. Distributing Hitch Max Trailer Wt.--7600, Wt. Distributing Hitch Max Tongue Wt.--1140, Maximum Trailering Capacity--7600, Truck empty weight--4450, vehicle Payload Capacity--1381. Horsepower is 305 and axle ratio is 3.42. The trailer I am considering purchasing is the Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706FB. THe trailer is 19'2" long by 7'2" wide with a dry weight of 2980. Most of the time, the only occants in the tow vehicle would be me and my wife. From my Username you can surmise that I reside in Colorado. Would this truck work in combination with this specific trailer? I have looked at Rpods but the Winnebago looks to be better built. Sorry for all the numbers but I wanted to give all the info I could on capabilities. Thanks for any input. BTW, we are in our mid-sixties and don't want to flirt with death at pur ages.

Coloradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
I personally wouldn't have a problem towing it with those numbers, but I have a feeling the truck isn't going to like the hills...up or down.

DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
You should have no issues.

I say this as I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado with the 3.5 I5.

And the trailer you listed is about the same as ours.

I have been towing for 4 years now and live in British Columbia Canada and have gone through many mountain passes here with no issues.

Just remember that because you are gas and the power bands are in the higher rpm range that when it down shifts on a hill it will rev up. All is ok.

With 3:73 gears in my own truck I run 3rd gear at 2800 rpm at 61 mph. And I have my cruise control set.

Going up big hills the truck will down shift to second gear and then maintain 61 mph and run about 4300 rpm. And still not kick out of cruise control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469456049.048932.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	134142
2006 chevy colorado xtream.
Holiday Rambler 187qb.
Jason&Shantelle&Bella,the Weimaraner.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
This is one of the rare "can I tow it?" threads where I can respond "yes," I think you'll be fine. As trucks keep getting bigger and stronger, to me the Colorado is like a 1/2 ton pickup from not too long ago. I figure you'll be around 4K pounds loaded up, and 19' is not too long for that truck.

You'll be in high RPM's pulling up the mountains, and don't forget to gear down going downhill, which will also put you in high RPM's. Good luck and have fun.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
You should head over to Colorado fans club.

There are guys towing way bigger trailers with the new Colorado.

Something I would not do. But they all say how it feels great.
2006 chevy colorado xtream.
Holiday Rambler 187qb.
Jason&Shantelle&Bella,the Weimaraner.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote

chevy, colorado, tow