Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #15

I spoke with B&W and their tech (who was extremely helpful) said that the design of their hitch balances the weight over the 4 points evenly (not sure that's possible given the physics).

Here is another picture taken on the night I brought it back. Truck looks much more level. I might just need to adjust the headlight beams down slightly.

Still gonna install Airbags.... Their nice to have regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14539162372620.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	117532  
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Don't hear people say "too much truck for a trailer" often... You made my day
That was in regard to the ride.

My apologies for assuming you were a novice and new to 5th/gooseneck towing. Missed the part about gooseneck/backhoe on farm.

I am jealous of your new F450. They really beefed up the F450. Yours has about 10,000 lbs. more of both GCWR and towing capacity than my 2012. I push all the weight limits when fully loaded and could use the extra 10k.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
I spoke with B&W and their tech (who was extremely helpful) said that the design of their hitch balances the weight over the 4 points evenly (not sure that's possible given the physics).

Here is another picture taken on the night I brought it back. Truck looks much more level. I might just need to adjust the headlight beams down slightly.

Still gonna install Airbags.... Their nice to have regardless.
Like 'Cummins12V98' posted.......

Swap the side plates that hold hitch head so that they are forward (look at picture of his hitch........yours are slanted back/his slanted forward)
That will move where king pin sits when hooked up

Front end of your truck ride height should NOT change much with a 5th wheel hitched up......just don't understand why yours is. Especially when it has ratings that are WAY HIGHER than my ole 2007 SRW and same weight trailer doesn't change my front end at all.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
That was in regard to the ride.

My apologies for assuming you were a novice and new to 5th/gooseneck towing. Missed the part about gooseneck/backhoe on farm.

I am jealous of your new F450. They really beefed up the F450. Yours has about 10,000 lbs. more of both GCWR and towing capacity than my 2012. I push all the weight limits when fully loaded and could use the extra 10k.
No worries! Yeah, I've been towing heavy loads for years with a gooseneck. This is actually my first fiver though.

Can the Hitch simply be turned around in the puck system and then simply flip the top half around or do I need to actually unbolt and rebolt the brackets?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #19

First, a GVWR of 15500 should have a pin weight somewhere north of 3000-3500lbs.
Second, no way small amount of squat should cause a light problem with oncoming cars, with an F450. My '10 has 4250 on the hitch and no light problem...
So, get out the manual that shows how to adjust the lights up/down and make an adjustment to move the heads downward some. Keep at it til you get to a point that doesn't bother the oncoming cars...be sure to keep track of how much you move each adjustment screw each time, so you can go back if needed.
By the way, how are the heads when not towing--should be easy to tell if you are lighting up too many tree branches?
Now, I just wish I had 2 '16 models to have that problem with...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Can the Hitch simply be turned around in the puck system and then simply flip the top half around or do I need to actually unbolt and rebolt the brackets?
Can't help you there. My F450 was a Chassis Cab. Ford shipped it to Oregon and I had Highway Products build a Highwayman RV Hauler body for it. Not familiar with how the hitch is attached to the stock bed.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #21

Look at pic #1 it clearly shows the side supports with the "Straight" edge toward the cab and then in pic #10 it clearly shows the "Angled" edge towards the cab???????????

Pics from different dates? Hitch dropped in 180 from one pic to another?

Bottom line move the straight edge as far as possible towards the cab.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Can't help you there. My F450 was a Chassis Cab. Ford shipped it to Oregon and I had Highway Products build a Highwayman RV Hauler body for it. Not familiar with how the hitch is attached to the stock bed.
I bet they did a beautiful job! I love my HighwayProducts bed height 30" front to back 5er tool box!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Look at pic #1 it clearly shows the side supports with the "Straight" edge toward the cab and then in pic #10 it clearly shows the "Angled" edge towards the cab???????????

Pics from different dates? Hitch dropped in 180 from one pic to another?

Bottom line move the straight edge as far as possible towards the cab.
Totally an optical illusion. The hitch is setup identically and has been unchanged from either picture (angled away from cab towards the rear).
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Totally an optical illusion. The hitch is setup identically and has been unchanged from either picture (angled away from cab towards the rear).
WEIRD!!!

If you can move the sides as close to the cab as possible.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #25

My airbags are coming in tomorrow! But probably not before we take off with the RV for the weekend. So I went out real quick to see if my headlights were aimed too high without the trailer attached. Holy batman they were at least 8-10 turns of the adjustment knob too high! I brought them down significantly and directed the light so the cutoff is at 3ft around 75yrds. It was more like 5' at 75yrds before I adjusted them. No wonder I was getting flashed while towing.

They must have been out of whack since I got the truck.

I need to do another retrofit to HID projectors. Kind of wish I removed them from my old truck and had them on this one now.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #26

Quote:
WEIRD!!!

If you can move the sides as close to the cab as possible.
My problem is that I have full size tool box behind the cab and do not want to take any chance of hitting it. Thus one of the reason for buying the Chaparral with the cutouts in the overhang give it a crazy good turning ratio. Now that my headlights are aimed properly! My problems should disappear. If they do, I'll probably return the airbags.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I bet they did a beautiful job! I love my HighwayProducts bed height 30" front to back 5er tool box!
Love it. Yes, they did a wonderful job. Unlike a lot of other truck beds I looked at, this one is made of aircraft grade aluminum. The RV Hauler body is about the same weight as a typical truck bed. It turns a lot of heads going down the road. Check the video at the link below. That is my truck. They used it to make the video.

Highwayman RV Hauler | Highway Products, Inc
Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 AM   #28

That's weird... the truck in the video has air bags already...

Nice looking bed for sure.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing