Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
This response may be "too late" for your decision however, I have a a 2016 Explorer Limited with 4 WD, Tow Package, pulling a 22' Airstream Sport...i live in the Rocky Mountains. I have the normal 290 hp v6 motor and the car and trailer handle like a dream. Trailer weight loaded is just under 5000 lbs. I am averaging 14.5 mpg. I do have a WD hitch and antisway devices. My home is 500 feet higher than the road below and when using "select shift" and the trainey set to "sand, snow, gravel" it climbs the hill with no problems....including three switch backs. Your car and the trailer described will be just fine...make sure you add the WD Hitch, Sway Control and Brake controller. I might add when we travel, my family consists of my wife, two small children a dog a small 2000 watt generator and tool box. I have weighed the whole rig on a commercial CAT Scale and it is well within the Combined Gross Weight Rating of the Vehicle. Go and have some fun!

RPatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

You'd have to go to an Expedition, Tahoe or other rear wheel drive SUV to tow from 4000 lbs. to maybe 7000 lbs. Above that, it's a 1/2 ton pickup truck to about 10,000 lbs. with the factory trailer tow package.
I don't think there's a half ton out there that can tow to 10,000lbs. You have to look at the tongue weight rating of your vehicle as well as the payload/carrying capacity. You'll max those out LONG before you hit that tow rating they love to advertise. You can also be under your GCVW rating and still be overloaded.
Because of that I wouldn't get an SUV to tow over 5000lbs at the absolute max. And even that is pushing it.

Your 3100lb trailer will quickly be over 4000lbs with gear. Probably more. Tongue weight would be 400lbs to 600lbs easily. And that along with everything and everyone in the explorer must be deducted from it's carrying capacity.

2015 Ram 2500 6.7 cummins, Crew Cab
Mid 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 23DBS, w/backcountry x4 and armor options.
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of buying a new Explorer: My Venza is close to being ready to get replaced by a new vehicle. Maybe a 2017 model when they are available. I would buy a new Venza, but Toyota no longer makes them. I want 4x2 and I don't want a hole in the roof if I can get the other things I want without a hole in the roof. Based on 2016 prices for the way I would order my new vehicle, here's what I found for buying price, not including TT&L:

$27,037 Toyota Prius V Three
$28,985 Honda CRV EX-L w/navigation
$30,645 Toyota Avalon XLE sedan
$35,277 Ford Flex SEL 202A w/leather & navigation
$35,510 Honda Pilot EX-L
$35,712 Toyota Highlander XLE
$42,532 Ford Explorer Limited EcoBoost

Conclusion: I would rather have the Explorer, but Ford is too proud of it so it costs too much. The Avalon is a nice big sedan and a bargain compared to the crossover SUVs on my list, but I prefer a hatchback if I can't afford a station wagon. And only luxury import brands now offer a mid-size station wagon. I put over 100,000 miles on a 2000 Avalon, so that's why it is on the list, but a trunk is not as convenient as a hatchback. The CRV is priced right, but I suspect DW will veto it because of lack of elbow room for long trips. Brother-in-law loves his Prius, but I suspect it has even less elbow room than the CRV. The Flex SE I drove felt cheap with lots of road noise, so I suspect Ford is out, but we'll drive one with SEL trim and 202a options and see if it is also too noisey. The Ford Edge is not on the list because it flunked Consumer Reports reliability history. GM and FCA are not on the list because they went bankrupt and screwed their investors.

L'il Brother has worn out a Highlander and Darling Daughter has worn out a Pilot, with no costs other than routine maintenance and tires. So I'll probably order either a Highlander or a Pilot, depending on whichever one DW likes best.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Do you need to carry more than 5 people? If not why not have the 2017 Honda Ridgeline on your list? Not only can it carry 5 people you can also use the truck bed to carry mulch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Do you need to carry more than 5 people? If not why not have the 2017 Honda Ridgeline on your list? Not only can it carry 5 people you can also use the truck bed to carry mulch.
I have an F-150 for towing and hauling. I have an MX5 Miata for my runabout. The Venza is the family car, used for long trips when not towing, and as Darling Wife's car for running around doing church activities when we're not on the road. She doesn't want another pickup, although she liked the two different Odyssey minivans we had - 2005 and 2009 models.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
We had an Explorer Sport Trac V6 with a 5000lb rating. Towed a 21' Hybrid Travel trailer. Worked great but at 80K on the truck, it would go into limp home mode with the tranny not going out of first when I was in summer traffic. Trans shop and regular mechanic could not help as there were no error codes apparently. Anyway, I'm convinced that even though I was a good 1000 lbs under tow capacity, I killed that truck. Just too light duty for anything more than a lawn mower trailer. IMO.
elks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #21
Location: Home base Lakeland, Fl, summers Columbus, Oh and points north
Ford Explorer towing

We had a 2014 with the tow package. We towed a 4500-5000 lb v nose cargo trailer (cat scaled). It did just OK on level roads like rte 81 and 75. It was slow on the hills. As others posted we stayed under the speed limits to conserve fuel and a clean license. Averaged 12.5 mpg. Not a great tow vehicle so traded it foe a GMC Canyon that does much better. Loved the Explorer but not as a tow vehicle.

2014 Georgetown 378 XL TS
2016 GMC Canyon SLT
The joy is in the Journey!
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote