RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
2016 Ford F250 Superduty Diesel sits Nose High

Purchased a used 2016 Ford Superduty Diesel with low mileage, It sits nose high by about 2 inches. I pull a Jayco 31.5 FBHS 5er. The truck bed was much higher than my old Dodge Ram 2500, so I had to flip the axles on the trailer. Finally got everything setup and discovered when the rig was weighed that my trailer now has about 800 lbs. less on the trailer axles than previously with my old setup on the Dodge. Conversely, I now have about 800 extra lbs. on the king pin than previously with the Dodge Ram. Everything appears to be level with the exception of the truck. I am considering installing 4 inch Ford factory blocks on the rear axle which would give me about 2 inches of additional height on the rear of the truck or add a leaf to the rear springs which would increase the truck's rear ride height by about 2 inches and add additional load capacity to the truck. Has anyone leveled their Ford Superduty by raising the rear of the truck? Could truck sag contribute to the added load on the king pin?
__________________

Ramtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 594
Airbags. You want airbags, not stiffer springs. Are you 100% sure no ones put a leveling kit on the front? Or the new fad is a reverse level, taking the blocks out of the rear?
__________________

Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtx View Post
Purchased a used 2016 Ford Superduty Diesel with low mileage, It sits nose high by about 2 inches. I pull a Jayco 31.5 FBHS 5er. The truck bed was much higher than my old Dodge Ram 2500, so I had to flip the axles on the trailer. Finally got everything setup and discovered when the rig was weighed that my trailer now has about 800 lbs. less on the trailer axles than previously with my old setup on the Dodge. Conversely, I now have about 800 extra lbs. on the king pin than previously with the Dodge Ram. Everything appears to be level with the exception of the truck. I am considering installing 4 inch Ford factory blocks on the rear axle which would give me about 2 inches of additional height on the rear of the truck or add a leaf to the rear springs which would increase the truck's rear ride height by about 2 inches and add additional load capacity to the truck. Has anyone leveled their Ford Superduty by raising the rear of the truck? Could truck sag contribute to the added load on the king pin?

Well I find it interesting that first the F250 bed sits higher than your Ram, unless the F250 is a 4X4 and the Ram was 4X2.

In addition is it sitting lower with or without the 5er connected.


I would be checking for missing spring blocks.
__________________
Russ & Paula, Portland, OR. The Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 4X4 14,000# GVWR.
2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293FWSLS Rear Kitchen 12,360 GVWR
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Yankton, SD
Posts: 296
Why did you waste your time and money to get your trailer to run level?? Now you want to screw it up by raising the truck?
__________________
George
2011 Ford F350 DRW
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well I find it interesting that first the F250 bed sits higher than your Ram, unless the F250 is a 4X4 and the Ram was 4X2.

In addition is it sitting lower with or without the 5er connected.


I would be checking for missing spring blocks.
Yes you are right about the vehicles. My Dodge Ram was a 4x2 and the Ford is a 4x4. Sorry I failed to mention that. The truck has ford factory 2 inch blocks. Yes the ford is about 2 inches lower in the rear than the front w/o the trailer being hooked up. Also, the Ford has the standard 18 inch wheels rather than the 20 inch which as I understand was an option. Thanks.
Ramtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
Why did you waste your time and money to get your trailer to run level?? Now you want to screw it up by raising the truck?
I raised the 5er up as far as I could by moving the springs down on the jack plates to the lowest possible level and also lowered the pinbox as low as physically possible and still did not have sufficient clearance. I should not be "screwing up" the level of the trailer if I raise the rear of the truck as I have about 8-9 inches of clearance now and I can easily adjust the pinbox to level the trailer if necessary.

I am curious, does your Mobile Suites have the axles flipped? Do you have airbags on your truck?
Ramtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:29 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,304
As for the 800 lbs, that can change as you raise or lower the nose of trailer.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,488
Yes, there is a very good chance that the Ford will sit higher then a Dodge/Ram.

Adding the 4" blocks to an F250 such as the F350's 4" block is a bit more the just bolting them in place. Ford puts out an entire kit to do it right. It ran in the neighborhood of 1500 bucks plus several hours labor, mine or a shop at $100++ an hour when I priced it in 2012. It includes the blocks, new and required U-bolts, a new driveshaft, shocks, frame to axle brake lhose and whatever fasteners are needed. You will also need to include an alignment to bring caster back to spec

A set of air bags will be in the 300 buck range without an on board air pump ($300 more) and give you the latitude to fine tune your setup. I really like my Firestone Ride Rites (Air Ride for others work well too).

As far as adding 800 pounds to pin weight by leveiing and axle flipping - I cannot visualize mechanically how that can happen unless you were towing nose high with your previous truck or the scales were wrong. From level to level with only changing the axles will only change the center of gravity vertically, not horizontally.
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')w/disc brakes
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,538
Someone has put a leveling kit on the F250 and it raised the front too high if the rears lower when unloaded. Get rid of the front leveling kit and that will make your trucks rear higher when unloaded.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Yes, there is a very good chance that the Ford will sit higher then a Dodge/Ram.

Adding the 4" blocks to an F250 such as the F350's 4" block is a bit more the just bolting them in place. Ford puts out an entire kit to do it right. It ran in the neighborhood of 1500 bucks plus several hours labor, mine or a shop at $100++ an hour when I priced it in 2012. It includes the blocks, new and required U-bolts, a new driveshaft, shocks, frame to axle brake lhose and whatever fasteners are needed. You will also need to include an alignment to bring caster back to spec

A set of air bags will be in the 300 buck range without an on board air pump ($300 more) and give you the latitude to fine tune your setup. I really like my Firestone Ride Rites (Air Ride for others work well too).

As far as adding 800 pounds to pin weight by leveiing and axle flipping - I cannot visualize mechanically how that can happen unless you were towing nose high with your previous truck or the scales were wrong. From level to level with only changing the axles will only change the center of gravity vertically, not horizontally.
I knew about changing the shocks and u-bolts and possibly the drive shaft. There is a technical bulletin from Ford about raising the rear, TSB 15-0117 which recommends changing the driveshaft. I have checked the internet for folks who have done this, and nobody has mentioned changing the driveshaft which would make the cost comparable to just installing airbags. I guess that I don't understand how airbags would work, since it appears that the drive shaft angle would change even with airbags. However, people that I found who had leveled the rear were in older Ford F250s in the 2004-2007 range. So, has any member installed air bags on my generation of Ford F250s, if so, chime in with your experience. Thanks.
Ramtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,349
I have a '16 F250 4X4 although not a diesel but the rear is slightly higher than the front when unloaded. Someone may have added the leveling kit to yours if the front sits higher than the rear.
__________________
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
Kennewick, WA.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I have a '16 F250 4X4 although not a diesel but the rear is slightly higher than the front when unloaded. Someone may have added the leveling kit to yours if the front sits higher than the rear.
Good information. Mine is a diesel crew cab, so I would think that the motor should lower the front a little more than yours.
Ramtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtx View Post
Good information. Mine is a diesel crew cab, so I would think that the motor should lower the front a little more than yours.
Diesel has heavier springs. It doesnt work that way.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Yankton, SD
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtx View Post
I raised the 5er up as far as I could by moving the springs down on the jack plates to the lowest possible level and also lowered the pinbox as low as physically possible and still did not have sufficient clearance. I should not be "screwing up" the level of the trailer if I raise the rear of the truck as I have about 8-9 inches of clearance now and I can easily adjust the pinbox to level the trailer if necessary.

I am curious, does your Mobile Suites have the axles flipped? Do you have airbags on your truck?
The axles are not flipped. I dont need air bags.
__________________

__________________
George
2011 Ford F350 DRW
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th wheel sits too high Flaco 5th Wheel Discussion 23 07-18-2018 05:58 AM
Ford 6.2 SuperDuty owners - please chime in Big-Foot Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 34 06-12-2014 04:55 AM
Canopy feedback for Ford SuperDuty? SeabeckS Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 38 01-15-2014 06:25 PM
Ford SuperDuty Engine Woes ChiefJohn Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 14 03-01-2007 03:25 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.