Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #1

2016 Titan XD Diesel Cummins

Anybody towing with this vehicle.
It is a recent release by Nissan.
I have driven it, and it is nice.
Pulls 12K
I really like it, but am looking for some owner experiences.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
It is a recent release by Nissan... am looking for some owner experiences.
It's a brand new model, so there is not much experience on the road yet. I passed an unloaded one on I-20 and it looks good.

Cummins 5L turbo-diesel, with 310 HP and 555 lb/ft torque. That's more than my '99 7.3L F-250 PowerStroke had, and that drivetrain could easily pull my 8k 5er over hill and dale.

Maximum towing capacity (lbs.) 12,300
Maximum payload (lbs.) 2,000

That's more than my F-150 EcoBoost.

Those "maximum" weights are usually a wet dream, but you could count on being able to tow a 6,000-pound TT, and maybe a 7,000-pound TT without exceeding any of the weight limits. My F-150 is barely broken in with about 75,000 miles on it, but in another couple of years I'll look into the Titan XD diesel.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

The gasoline version is also interesting.

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

The payload rating in the XD diesel is too low for a 5th wheel. Fine but marginal for a travel trailer. MPG is also on the low side. It seems like Nissan has capable truck but it falls short in the towing department. Heck you can tow 12,000 with an F150 V6 and get better mpg when empty. Why spend all the extra money for the Nissan XD diesel?
I think they missed the mark, but time will tell.
Ford has upped the anty on with the new improved version of their Eco Boost 3.5 by revamping it and adding 30lbs of tq. Up to 450 tq now.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Its biggest weak point is a small 4800 RAWR which limits loads to around 2100-2200 lbs.
A 12k 5th wheel trailer @ 20% hitch weight = around 2400 lbs.

My old '03 Dodge/Cummins HPCR engine has similar numbers at 305 hp/555 torque and easily pulls my 16k tri axle GN trailer.

The Titan XD with the diesel option will be a strong 1/2 ton tow engine for lite weight 5th wheels and heavier TTs......and smaller truck campers.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The payload rating in the XD diesel is too low for a 5th wheel. Fine but marginal for a travel trailer. MPG is also on the low side. It seems like Nissan has capable truck but it falls short in the towing department. Heck you can tow 12,000 with an F150 V6 and get better mpg when empty. Why spend all the extra money for the Nissan XD diesel?
I think they missed the mark, but time will tell.
Ford has upped the anty on with the new improved version of their Eco Boost 3.5 by revamping it and adding 30lbs of tq. Up to 450 tq now.
Not to argue

I checked Ford specs when I started a truck hunt, none of the 1/2 ford super crews 4x4 can haul as much as the XD
But it pretty much out hauls anything 1/2 ton,
Not really surprising as it is a diesel, and no other company offer a diesel 1/2 ton

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...0_r2_oct23.pdf

The Titan XD mileage while towing, is at the top of the heap, and only behind the Colorado/Canyon

Then there is the issue of actual pulling comfort, and safety
The Titan comes in at a monstrous 7500lbs empty, which makes it a lot more stable to pull heavy loads, and has some monster brakes.
It falls short of all the 3/4 ton trucks, in towing limits, but mileage, and ride are superior.

The number, and spec look good on the Titan, and Nissan tends to spec rather conservatively. and of course the Cummin engine is attractive.
All the subjective testing reviews are quite positive, TFLTrucks on you tube have the best driving/towing/mileage testing, and test the same for every truck they review.
Plus it comes setup for a goose neck trailer.

Which while that review stuff is good, I want to hear some real world experience from normal people.

I have no intention of a hauling a large 5th wheel camper, so I am not sure I need the 1 ton truck, but maybe a 3/4 is a better choice. everything I am interested in, at this time, is around 7-8 k in weight.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The gasoline version is also interesting.

Other than the typical Nissan low mileage, The gas version might be a better option for me, Their engine do last forever, but they certainly are not maximized for best possible mileage.

But I kind really want a diesel truck
Both come setup with a Goose neck, and towing package.
Of course the initial cost of a gas version is less
Old 05-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

What's nice about the nissan is it's using the aisin transmission available in the 1 ton ram and the rear end from a dodge power wagon. Some pretty serious brakes too. It's a pretty tough truck for something that's positioned as an in between a half ton and 3/4 ton. But it's priced like any other 3/4 ton truck but with much less torque and thousands of pounds less towing capacity.

As far as payload ratings, 2000lbs for the diesel and 2500lbs for the gas. My 2015 Ram diesel is around 2300lbs so not much different.

If they committed to just being a true 3/4 and getting towing up to around 17,000lbs like the ram diesel it may make more sense at the price point. I do like the looks of it and love the interior. And I formerly owned a Titan and it was a great truck. I have no doubts that this will be a solid truck too and will be able to pull any travel trailer out there.

I still prefer the inline 6 of the ram cummins versus the V8 of the nissan. Less parts to break and replace. Approximately 40% less parts.

I'd like to see thefastlane truck do their ike gauntlet towing review with the gas version just for comparison.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
What's nice about the nissan is it's using the aisin transmission available in the 1 ton ram and the rear end from a dodge power wagon. Some pretty serious brakes too. It's a pretty tough truck for something that's positioned as an in between a half ton and 3/4 ton. But it's priced like any other 3/4 ton truck but with much less torque and thousands of pounds less towing capacity.

As far as payload ratings, 2000lbs for the diesel and 2500lbs for the gas. My 2015 Ram diesel is around 2300lbs so not much different.

If they committed to just being a true 3/4 and getting towing up to around 17,000lbs like the ram diesel it may make more sense at the price point. I do like the looks of it and love the interior. And I formerly owned a Titan and it was a great truck. I have no doubts that this will be a solid truck too and will be able to pull any travel trailer out there.

I still prefer the inline 6 of the ram cummins versus the V8 of the nissan. Less parts to break and replace. Approximately 40% less parts.

I'd like to see thefastlane truck do their ike gauntlet towing review with the gas version just for comparison.
Agree with you about the pricing, seems a little steep, It has a lot of options that do not interest me. 50k is a lot for any truck, but more in line with the 3/4, and 1 tons, which it is not.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

While the Nissan does in fact use a transmission made by Aisin, it is not the same model as is used in the 3500 Ram trucks. It is somewhat smaller and lighter, but I don't know the exact specs on it.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The Titan XD Platinum Extreme that I drove, only had a 1390 lb payload. It was a very impressive vehicle and I assume would have power to spare. Just doesn't have the suspension to handle it's towing capacity, nor can it be flat towed w/o an aftermarket product to disengage the dive line.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
While the Nissan does in fact use a transmission made by Aisin, it is not the same model as is used in the 3500 Ram trucks. It is somewhat smaller and lighter, but I don't know the exact specs on it.
"Harnessing the engine’s torque is a new Aisin six-speed automatic dubbed A466ND. In case you were wondering, the transmission isn’t new either. Inside an entirely new housing (without a PTO) sits the same basic transmission found in the aforementioned RAM 3500 with 900 lbs-ft. This is not a light-duty transmission by any means."

2016 Nissan Titan XD – Towing with the 5/8-Ton Truck

http://www.equipmentworld.com/review...ts-own-videos/

Perhaps putting in that tranny with the rear end it's got helps to justify the price point. Components from 1 ton trucks.
It also does have a ton of features not found in heavier duty trucks.
I really just wish the tow rating was higher as well as the torque. And an exhaust brake. I'm really surprised cummins didn't put one on it.

At any rate, check out that link. It's a good read.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
"Harnessing the engine’s torque is a new Aisin six-speed automatic dubbed A466ND. In case you were wondering, the transmission isn’t new either. Inside an entirely new housing (without a PTO) sits the same basic transmission found in the aforementioned RAM 3500 with 900 lbs-ft. This is not a light-duty transmission by any means."

2016 Nissan Titan XD – Towing with the 5/8-Ton Truck

http://www.equipmentworld.com/review...ts-own-videos/

Perhaps putting in that tranny with the rear end it's got helps to justify the price point. Components from 1 ton trucks.
It also does have a ton of features not found in heavier duty trucks.
I really just wish the tow rating was higher as well as the torque. And an exhaust brake. I'm really surprised cummins didn't put one on it.

At any rate, check out that link. It's a good read.
I stand corrected. .. thanks!
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, diesel