Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

2016 Tundra towing TT and payload issues!

Hello, I have a 2016 tundra limited crew Max 4x4 5.7L. I will have myself, 3 kids and my wife in the truck. Anyone have any suggestions on what maximum towing capacity and hitch weight I should be at on a TT? I want to get a trailer with the couch and dinette and bunks but it seems like most of them are pretty heavy on the hitch or heavy on the tile. Just want to make sure I have a good balance between the two for this specific truck. Any feedback would help. The towing capacity is 9400 pounds and my payload availability is 1500 pounds (not counting people). With everybody accounted for I will probably have around 1000 pounds available for payload. Thanks everyone!

2005 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
Workhorse W-20
Allison Transmission

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Have you contacted your local Toyota dealership? I did that with my 2007 Tundra, double cab. They were very helpful. So I ended up with a Hideout that I have no trouble with towing. I think I went to about 80% so as not to over do it. I am not an expert on these things but that is what I did. Have fun.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

I have not contacted them but that is a great idea. Thank you LarrySharon for the advice.

Workhorse W-20
Allison Transmission
Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

Nice truck. I had an '07 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 2wd. I have a Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD. 28' box and about 6800-6900 loaded. Loaded, with fuel, wife, five year old, the dog, and 60lbs of fire wood, I was 40lbs from MVWR. It handled like it too. Wind and passing trucks moved me around a fair amount. Wasn't ideal. Doable, but not ideal.

So, to answer your question, I'd focus on trailers with a dry weight around 5K. That'll keep you closer to 6K loaded.

I wouldn't bother calling Toyota. All the info you need is on the yellow sticker of the door. Just do your own math adding 500-1000lbs to the dry weight of whatever you look at.
Txloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

I had a grey wolf 28 bh with that floor plan. It weighed 5500 lbs and 28 ft long tongue wt 540 lbs.You should be able to find a camper to fit your needs and weights.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

Ignore dry weights of trailers, most are several hundred pounds heavier empty than advertised dry weights. Same with tongue weight, use gross trailer weight and multiply by 12% for an accurate tongue weight.

1/2 ton trucks will struggle with a family of 5 and a larger trailer and the lighter trailers have often sacrificed quality in order to make them appealing to folks with marginal trucks.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

Thank you all for the reply, looks like the search will continue but possibly be for a smaller trailer!

Workhorse W-20
Allison Transmission

Tags
tow, towing