Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #15

I am mildly disappointed that the truck is still squarish. I wish they would try to improve the aerodynamics more. Maybe that is 10 - 15 years down the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #16

Looks like a ram and Chevy thrown into a mixer and that's what came out.

Chad

Old 09-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #17

Looks like an F -150, but with dual rear wheels. I guess the engineers got tired.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Love the dash and flat floor in the rear with fold up seats (similar to the F150)
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:56 AM   #19

I was REALLY hoping to see a new gas engine lineup. The 6.2 and 6.8? Really? The 6.8? I thought they dumped that anchor a long time ago. I understand it will be "new and shiny" but what is the point? The 6.2 is a good little mill, let it take the gasser duty.

And am I reading correctly that they have dumped the FX trim level in the super duty?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I was REALLY hoping to see a new gas engine lineup. The 6.2 and 6.8? Really? The 6.8? I thought they dumped that anchor a long time ago. I understand it will be "new and shiny" but what is the point? The 6.2 is a good little mill, let it take the gasser duty.

And am I reading correctly that they have dumped the FX trim level in the super duty?
There was no FX trim level in the Super Duty. There was an FX4 package which will remain.

As to engines, no, the V10 will not be in the pickups. It was never dumped. It was relegated to chassis cab trucks where it will remain in use just like in 2011-2016 trucks. As to the other two motors, the Ford engineer at that did the reveal at the State Fair of TX said the HP/TQ numbers will be going up on both but no official numbers yet. Both of those engines have a lot of life left in them and a lot of room for increases.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #21

taken - when that corrosion happens I wonder if you could have all the paint sand blasted off the truck and have a shiny truck to go with the shiny aluminum Air Stream trailer? Just thinking a bit out side the box.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
taken - when that corrosion happens I wonder if you could have all the paint sand blasted off the truck and have a shiny truck to go with the shiny aluminum Air Stream trailer? Just thinking a bit out side the box.
That would be cool. Kind of like the stainless look of a Delorean.

I think the white film would come back quickly though. I have an aluminum framed snowmobile trailer that always has the film on it...
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
That would be cool. Kind of like the stainless look of a Delorean.

I think the white film would come back quickly though. I have an aluminum framed snowmobile trailer that always has the film on it...

Yeah, you'd have to wash your truck down with WD40 to keep it from turning into a pile of chalk... LOL

I hope they put decent headlights in them for a change. Ford's headlights have always been of lower performance than the other two mfgrs since they left the sealed beam world...

Also happy that they at least went away from the farm implement rear fenders on the duallies.. I'm not entirely pleased with the new ones but....

Am I the only one that sees these body lines very close to what Ford introduced in 1980?

Performance wise - my truck is far stronger than it really needs to be to tow my lil camper around.. If you increase power, you also increase fuel consumption. The 360# net savings in weight with the new truck will not do a thing to bring back the fuel economy of the earlier trucks. Not that my economy was great to begin with at 15MPG bobtailed...

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #24

I would get the truck sand blasted to a shiny state then clear coated to keep that mirror like finish to match the shiny mirror like finish on a few of those super glossy Air Stream trailers.

Maybe Ford will make paint optional or a clear coat in place of paint.

All real old trucks would be stored in the desert with those old air planes.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
There was no FX trim level in the Super Duty. There was an FX4 package which will remain.

As to engines, no, the V10 will not be in the pickups. It was never dumped. It was relegated to chassis cab trucks where it will remain in use just like in 2011-2016 trucks. As to the other two motors, the Ford engineer at that did the reveal at the State Fair of TX said the HP/TQ numbers will be going up on both but no official numbers yet. Both of those engines have a lot of life left in them and a lot of room for increases.
I didnt realize the V10 was a chassis cab only option- I guess thats why I thought they dumped it. I had one in an F250 for all of 6 months. It was just a dog for some reason. Better than the 5.4 that replaced it though. The 6.2L leaves a lot on the table (which is why I have a 6.4L Ram right now instead of the F250 I wanted) so hopefully they breath some life into that. It no doubt has the ability to make great HP and TQ reliably. I'd bet my next paycheck that we see the 6.2 coming out with just enough to best the 6.4L- which means I'll have to get my 6.4L tuned . Wonder what the GM twins have cooking over the fence?
Old 09-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
I had a V10 in 09 and it was an awesome motor. The 2005+ 3V version was much better than the previous 2V. If they want more out of the 6.2, direct injection would be the way to go.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #27

Mine was a 3V in a 2008. It was such a weird power plant. Torque came on strong and fairly low like it should then just dropped into a chasm of "blah" and began emptying the tank and shifting in fits. Multiple trips to the shop forced me to get rid of it in favor of the smaller mod motor.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #28

I had a 2002 Ford Excursion with the 2 valve V10 and it was a beast. I did some exhaust work on it and a CAI. I really enjoyed that motor. All the ignition components interchanged with its V8 cousins . That Excursion was the most comfortable Suv/Truck I've ever driven. It was loaded with every option.

I see a lot of motor homes with the Ford V10.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford