Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #29

I must have had a bum :(

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #30

2017 Ford SD

Unfortunately, I like the looks of the new Super Duty. I was hoping I'd hate it but I think it looks pretty good and I like the interior, LED lighting, cameras, etc. I need to win the lottery because l like too many toys and new cars and trucks every two or three years. I did tell my wife when I traded my F250 for my F450 that I was making no promises about keeping the F450 for any specified amount of time. I made that mistake once when I bought the F250, never again.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would get the truck sand blasted to a shiny state then clear coated to keep that mirror like finish to match the shiny mirror like finish on a few of those super glossy Air Stream trailers.

Maybe Ford will make paint optional or a clear coat in place of paint.

All real old trucks would be stored in the desert with those old air planes.
Is the "sheet metal" aluminum or just the frame?
I've had vehicles with aluminum sheet metal and it's a door ding/dent nightmare because it's so soft and some of the dent guys don't have the skills to fix.
I can't imagine having a truck with an aluminum bed.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Of course the frame isn't aluminum. LOL. Yes, it's the body and it's thicker than the steel that it replaces so dent worries. Well, no more than the steel it replaces anyways.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #33

I believe the aluminum alloy is much tougher that just aluminum. The body sheet metal is the alloy. I read the frame is going to use more high strength steel.

Interesting if the bed will be made from the same alloy as the rest of the body. Anyone know?
Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #34

The 6.8 V10 was not a bad motor.. Well not after they went to 3-Valve anyway... Spark plug changes on the 2-Valve were a roll of the dice on the threads pulling out of the head or the plug breaking.. My '99 saw all 10 replaced without incident but they did not go 100k miles worth of heat cycles either.. Anti-Seize is your friend!
Actually I suspect that the 6.8 could not meet the emissions requirements of the mid to light duty market for non-commercial vehicles..
I'd love to see an Eco-Boosted 6.2 someday... That would really reduce the number of diesels sold. I would probably be driving one if it were available..

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
The 2017 SD was released today. Lots of neat stuff besides just the looks and aluminum changeover. Trailer TPMS and Backup Cam. Powerfolding steps. 6 cameras. More HP/TQ. (No numbers yet.) Here is a link to all the photos. https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...uper-duty.html

On first looks it seems to be one hell of a truck. Can't wait to see how all of the features work along with how much it will cost. I'm guessing we getting close to the $80K area.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Of course the frame isn't aluminum. LOL. Yes, it's the body and it's thicker than the steel that it replaces so dent worries. Well, no more than the steel it replaces anyways.
Unless it is heat treated. The issue IMO with AL is not dents , but cracks. If you crack heat treated AL welding is not a option for repair. In the bike industry, a cracked AL frame means new frame. I am not sure of what Aluminium they are using in these trucks. There are many different configurations of AL alloys and how they must be treated in production or repair.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
Unless it is heat treated. The issue IMO with AL is not dents , but cracks. If you crack heat treated AL welding is not a option for repair. In the bike industry, a cracked AL frame means new frame. I am not sure of what Aluminium they are using in these trucks. There are many different configurations of AL alloys and how they must be treated in production or repair.
The F150 has had a AL body for a couple of years and I've not heard anything bad about them. Considering the grade of AL they are using I really don't think it's a problem. However, only time will tell.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Not sure why that's funny. Aluminum frames have been around for decades. They are better than steel for rigidity, but you need a lot more aluminum than steel to achieve similar strength, so weight savings is a lot less than you might think.
The problem with aluminum (other than cost) is dents if it's soft enough and cracks if it's hard enough.

Using it in a truck strikes me as more of a gimmick than anything else.
Also, I wonder if insurance will pay for aluminum replacement parts in a fender bender. I bet that will be a battle.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
The F150 is the most popular selling vehicle in the country and it is all aluminum body now. I guess all those owners are running around without insurance or getting ready for battle when they get into an accident? Um no. The insurance companies may have raised rates to compensate for increased repair costs but they certainly won't be fighting claims based on a more expensive material...
Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #40

I watched this a few times. Hitting the AL alloy F-150 with a sledgehammer. It did cause damage but not as much as I thought it would.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-videos/au...t-2-video.html
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #41

Remember that all, well maybe almost all, commercial aircraft are made from AL and they don't crack. It all depends on the grade of AL as to what it can take.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Remember that all, well maybe almost all, commercial aircraft are made from AL and they don't crack. It all depends on the grade of AL as to what it can take.
Aluminum fighter jets wings crack all the time. In fact a over G reading means a RED X until a wing inspection is completed.

Tags
ford