Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #15

All this panic..... 1% of vehicles are impacted. If you are paranoid about waiting for Ram, buy your own pump and they will reimburse you. I plan on driving mine without worry. I will replace next time I have it in a shop for other things. But I certainly am not losing any sleep over it
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #16

Not sensing any panic. Just concerned my truck could catch fire as the recall letter suggested. If there are pumps available to buy why doesn't FCA use those to fix the problem. I also have no plans to park mine. Sleep well.
Corky1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
All this panic..... 1% of vehicles are impacted. If you are paranoid about waiting for Ram, buy your own pump and they will reimburse you. I plan on driving mine without worry. I will replace next time I have it in a shop for other things. But I certainly am not losing any sleep over it
Wouldn't say I'm loosing sleep, but there is a bit of a difference in just running to town and the pump failing vs getting 1500 miles from home with RV in tow and the pump failing.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #18

As soon as they get a half million water pumps.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
I wouldn't be too worried. Just got done with a 10k mile tow with 15k 5th wheel. Not one hiccup. But who's to say it won't blow up going to Wal-Mart tomorrow.
I agree with you, don’t worry about it until it catches on fire. I’m sure Ram has the solution to that problem also.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #20

I carry a back up. They said ( could ) cause a fire though none have done so..water pumps , thermostats
Always good to carry. Even if you can't do the install at least you have the part for a mechanic to install
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I carry a back up. They said ( could ) cause a fire though none have done so..water pumps , thermostats
Always good to carry. Even if you can't do the install at least you have the part for a mechanic to install
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You bought a recalled water pump as a back-up in case your recalled water pump goes out? Cause I'm assuming if it was one of the new, redesigned models no one can seem to get, it would already be installed, not riding around behind the seat.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #22

Yet another example of poor design and cost-cutting by USA manufacturers: all 3 are equally at fault. In the big scheme of things, a water pump is minor; not a safety risk, per se.

But the attitude of consumers to think the recall will protect them is simply misguided. You are actually worse off, due to a perversion of law. The notice gets FCA off the hook for liability to drivers. Why? Basically, under law, the notice now makes the consumer responsible for any damage subsequent to the notice. You were given notice your truck may catch fire, or incur other damage, yet you continued to operate the vehicle. This is gross negligence, and US law places all responsibility onto the negligent party. Your only defence might be FCA is also negligent by not stating a definite time deadline available to you for replacement. Good luck with such defence, as the issue will boil down to what is "reasonable", and "reasonable" is nowhere defined and entirely subjective.

What consumers should be doing is launching a class action suit. Force the system to prevent all manufacturers from giving such open-ended recalls and prevent manufacturers from avoiding responsibility via legal tactics. Next, start boycotts.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
My water pump failed about 6 months ago... and was replaced under warranty. I got the letter so I'll bet they will replace mine again. I get some fresh anitfreeze with each replacement. It's still a pain in the arse...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #24

Geno's Garage has the replacement water pumps for sale @ $49.95 each. But they are selling to TDR members first and than the general public. Here is the tread and see #32 response in the tread.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...er-Pump-Recall
Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #25

Took mine in for oil last week and had them check the water pump recall. Mine had no weep hole, in other words I needed a new water pump. 4 days later the dealer called and had they water the pump. Brought it back today, they out it in and washed my rig too.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
I had mine in a couple of weeks back and they did the park software update and checked my water pump and it needed it. So they ordered the pump and installed it this past Monday but I didn't get a wash job even though it wouldn't help much right now as in the last about 12 hours we had just at 4" of rain and it is still raining.

I'm thinking of building an Ark but can somebody tell me how long a cubit is?
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch50 View Post
I had mine in a couple of weeks back and they did the park software update and checked my water pump and it needed it. So they ordered the pump and installed it this past Monday but I didn't get a wash job even though it wouldn't help much right now as in the last about 12 hours we had just at 4" of rain and it is still raining.

I'm thinking of building an Ark but can somebody tell me how long a cubit is?
Yep had mine in last week for the park software update and asked them to check on the water pump since I have a long trip coming up where I will be going through Death Valley and really didn't want it to die there. They replaced the water pump and said the big issue is they just don't have enough to do all of them right now.

By the way a cubit is approximately 18" though no one really knows for sure.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #28

Driving thru Death Valley with a suspect water pump...where is your sense of adventure?[emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, recall