Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

2018 GMC Acadia

Just got home from the Auto Show here in Phoenix. Was looking at potential SUVs and crossovers for the future when it comes time to trade in and up. Looking for something midsize, frugal, yet still roomy, and can tow a small TT/hybrid. Mightily impressed with the new, downsized, 700-lbs-lighter Acadia. Looked at a bunch of “yellow stickers” and many midsize SUVs had only 1,100 to 1,200 lbs cargo capacity. Highlander was nice but only 1,300 lbs. Loved the body-on-frame Lexus GX but not the price nor the 16 mpg, and still only 1,300 lbs cc! Acadia rings in with over 1,700 lbs! Even the heavily optioned up Denali. Nice standard hitch and 7-pin connector.

Did some research online and GVWR is 6,001 lbs. Curb weight is anywhere from 4,100 to 4,400 lbs. Rear GAWR is a healthy 3,406 lbs. Car & Driver tested a Denali AWD and rear axle weight was 1,918 lbs. This leaves 3,406 - 1,918 = 1,488 lbs cargo for the rear! Wow. GMC lists the towing capacity of this vehicle as 4,000 lbs and it is probably one of the few SUVs that you could actually tow the rated trailer weight along with a bunch of stuff/people and not worry about axle capacity or GVWR. All this in a smooth-riding, midsize, roomy crossover SUV.

Anyone on the forum towing with a new, downsized 2017 or 2018 GMC Acadia?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

"Acadia models with the 3.6-liter V-6 can tow up to 4000 pounds—a major improvement over the 1000-pound capacity of four-cylinder models. If towing heavier trailers is a requirement for you, you’d be wise to check out the Dodge Durango, which can tow 6200 pounds with its V-6 or 7400 pounds with its optional V-8 under the hood."- Car and Driver

These little crossovers are better left to what they were designed for, which is hauling several members of the family out to eat on Friday night while getting decent gas mileage. Even the smallest expandable TTs clock in at 3000+ lbs dry. Unless you are looking some of the lightest R-pods or pop-ups. Just because it claims 4K towing, doesn't mean its a good idea to load it to that level. Its often recommended to stay around 20% below max, which drops you to 3200 lbs off the bat. I feel sure if you did go to 4K, you would be easily over the GCWR, whatever that ends up being. If you are planning to tow, buy a vehicle designed for that purpose.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

Dropthejacks is 110% correct. Do not buy a crossover to tow any camping hardshell trailer. At the very least you need a Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier or Ridgeline. Those would be good to tow 3,000lbs.

Same a Dropthejacks, on those crossovers do not try to tow amywhere near the max. With those vehicles 50% would be all I would go.

I will need a vehicle when I buy a PWC (personal water craft...aka jet ski, waverunner) on a trailer. Probably will end up with a crossover. A PWC on a trailer will weigh less than 1,500lbs. That is perfect for the Arcadia. Throw a cooler and lifejackets in the back and hook-up the PWC.

Now, I would try to tow a T@B trailer with a Toyota Highlander or Nissan Pathfinder. That is if I already had the Highlander/Pathfinder. Starting from scratch I would buy a mini-truck from my list above.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

3,000 lbs is probably right where I would need to be. Would have to be an aerodynamic shape too. Most likely one of the single axle units in the 17 to 19 ft range.

BTW, the Durango and Ridgeline are both Crossovers too. Not body-on-frame. Acadia has more payload capacity than those too.

Still, my question is to anyone who tows with a new Acadia...how do you like it? Pros, cons?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
When we purchased our TT in 2015, we were driving a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. The TT GVWR was listed at 6000 lbs. Our Denali was rated to tow 6000 lbs.
Being newbys and not knowing any better, and based on the “salesman’s” comments, we figured no problem.
Well, the Denali “towed” the TT, just fine until we got a little wind and then it was struggling.
So, before we went on our first camping trip ( actually the day before), we traded off the Denali for a 2015 GMC Yukon SLT which was rated to tow 8000 lbs.
The Yukon towed the TT just fine but there was still “something” missing.
We already had a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 so I didn’t want to buy a second pickup.
So, in late 2016 I found a brand new GMC Yukon XL SLT that had the max tow option on it for a decent price and zero percent loan. The extra length (although fairly small) of the XL, made a big difference in towing.
If we ever decide to get a larger TT or go to a 5’r, I will have to get rid of the Yukon and the Sierra and by a larger pickup.
So, no I do not recommend towing anything with an Acadia.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #6

Well, I am not looking in the same league as you all with heavy trailers and big, heavy tow vehicles. I am in the realm of smaller vehicles one step up from minivans and lightweight trailers with half as much weight.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #7

I towed a 23ft total length 3750lb TT with a Buick Rainier and 5.3 v8. Power to spare of course and returned about 12mpg. When a strong side wind popped up it did demonstrate moderate amounts of sway. Now with maybe a propride hitch it could have stopped the sway but I didn't have 2k to spend on a hitch nor did I know about them at the time. I think the Acadia could tow a 4k trailer. It has I think an 8spd transmission, I could be wrong on that though. But if you do decide that the Acadia has to be the vehicle then I look at the Rpod, trailmanor, or any other similarly designed trailers. Do not go cheap on the hitch. I would not tow across country at all though if you go that route. Up to 500 miles and a few times a year I'd consider it though. Really think about a yukon or Tahoe. I think they're returning up to 24mpg in the right form.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

Good info...thank you.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:35 AM   #9

Typically you will not get sway unless you are on a highway traveling 60 plus mph. I had a case where for two years I towed 4,500lb trailer with a Honda Ridgeline to local camp grounds on back roads. The Ridgeline did ok.

Then I retired and wanted to travel. The 1st 300 mile highway trip was white knuckled. Within a month I had a F-150.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

2018 GMC Acadia

I dont anticipate doing much travel...we are plane and hotel/bnb type people. This would just be for the occasional camping trip with family in the local Phx mountains area...need to escape the heat a few times each summer. Each way is usually only about 100-120 miles but is up and down some mountain 6% grades to get up to 7,000-ft. Best case scenario is at least 3 to 4 years away so I have plenty of time to think and shop and reasearch and ...
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

I checked google maps. It looks like highway 17 north to Flagstaff or highway 17 to 69 to Prescott. All up hill or down hill for 7,000ft. Wow...but cool you can get out of the heat of Phoenix by camping in Flagstaff. How fast do people drive on 17 and 69? Again, either buy an expensive Pro Pride WD / Anti Sway hitch.

I did not see any back roads heading north.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #12

Or drive slower. Hey, did you happen to look at the Nissan Pathfinder? Rated to tow 6,000 lbs. Now, 6,000 lbs. is kinda crazy but 3,000 lbs. is not.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #13

Actually, our favorite areas are along the Mongollan Rim, which is east of Payson. Canyon Point campground near Willow Springs Lake is a fave, followed closely by Spillway and Aspen campgrounds at Woods Canyon Lake. Pine Grove campground south of Flagstaff between Upper Lake Mary and Mormon Lake is also very nice. All these areas are between about 6,500 and 7,500 ft elevation. Wonderful escapes during summer.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #14

2018 GMC Acadia

Regarding I-17, people really do go way too fast on that road given the grades, curvy conditions, and 75-mph speed limit which seems to be only a mild suggestion. I hate it. It seems like everyone is in a race to Flagstaff. I prefer AZ-87 (Beeline hwy) to Payson which is also 4 lanes and grades and curves but with a slower speed limit it is just more relaxing. From Payson to Flag it is a beautiful 2 lane drive through the pine forests. My favorite is taking 260 east from Payson up to the Rim. Just as it crests the Rim at 7,500-ft, there is a small lookout cliff with views of the Young basin to the south with a pine tree forest as far as the eye can see. Wonderful half day drive / picnic for those stress-reliever times. Best experienced in a 1985 Honda Prelude!

For RVers, just a few hundred yards up the road is the Mogollon Rim Visitor Center with good parking. We are out of season now at that high elevation but there are boondocking camping sites right on the Rim cliff edge for those who are a) not afraid of heights, b) do not sleep walk at night in their drunken stupor, c) do not mind the wind, or d) do not have small children/grandchildren!

Some day, and I hope to not be alive when it happens, this area will probably succumb to one of the monster forest fires that we have had in the past. The forest-thinning project cannot come fast enough for this part of Arizona, which nearly everyone in the US has never heard about. This forest from west of Flagstaff/Williams to the east border of AZ and into NM is the country’s largest single contiguous stand of Ponderosa Pine forest. Amazing recreaction area.