RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #15

My brother just had to go to the emergency room. He has a diesel dually crew can that he uses to pull his 16.5k fifth wheel. I told him he should be getting over 30 mpg around town minimum and on the flat maybe up to 24 mpg. His towing mpg should be no less than 12 mpg. He started to choke and then the phone went silent. His wife called from the emergency room and said he was fine but these facts I gave have him caused him to go into cardiac arrest. Now he’s afraid to drive his truck.
I texted him that he needs to check out the new Chevrolet. I explained to him that with the manufacturers in a horsepower and torque war that the more stress they put on the engines to increase both of these that the result is going to be higher miles per gallon. I think they should continue to add stress so we can get over 30 mpg with 650 HP and 1250 TQ. He’s excited to see this.

09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #16

DEF has nothing to do with the DPF. DEF is used to reduce the nox emissions and the DPF traps the soot.

NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #17

Those numbers sound excellent. My mileage on a LML is 18 avg empty and 9 pulling a 17k fiver. I have six 12.5 inch wide Toyos so not helping much there.

I wouldn’t count on the 2020 getting better mpg. Just looked at one hoping a real life visual would improve my opinion on the looks. Not so much. It’s gonna lose a mpg or three just trying to force all that ugly down the highway as it makes freight trains take the dirt roads. Even the black aluminum wheels were hideous. Painful to this Chevy guy. It’s like its 2003 all over again-but worse:/
redhooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #18

at the end of the day an RV is still a barn door. If you get double digits towing be happy and roll on. Did you buy an RV and expect 15-20mpg towing. If fuel is so much of a worry why buy a 5ver. buy an air airstream lol which i dislike and wouldnt own. Gas mileage i dont even track. get to a pump at half a tank and pump $100. the other alternative reguardless of price is walking or a hitch up a mule team
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #19

You see the nice duck tail now on top of the tailgate? That is to make the air flow as smoothly as possible. I can not help but think, that air will funnel right into the front of the trailer.

That can't be good.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #20

Yes I saw it. Even with a chrome front end it has a lot of paint on the front to chip up now as well. Full plastic fuel door. Plastic steps to fade (like the Avalanche) in the bed fenders-and ironically the 1500 High Country has a much better step bar that goes back under the bed. That would have been a better option for the HD IMO.

redhooker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel