Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

2019 F-350 DRW (trailer height)

Has anyone with the new 2018-2019 ford DRW had to much nose high with there fifthwheel?
Has anyone lowered backend of truck to compensate for this? Trailer is a Solitude, it was 13.7 tall on my 16 gmc and Ford is 2in taller. I wouldn’t want to get any higher for wind and putting more stress on rear trailer axle and tires. Thanks
Sask Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

Think most raise the 5ver up if possible. Or they get rid of the pickup bed for a hauler body. And lower the hitch to level things out.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #3

What about ditching the rear leaf springs for an air bag setup? Im sure the truck has enough rake that it wouldnt hurt to drop the rear a little
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #4

I will get the ford dealer to look into lowering truck if possible. I had 6in bed rail clearance with GM and the boxes are same depth for GM and ford. So lowering hitch to bring front down isn’t a option. I don’t want to raise trailer axles, my solitude seems tall enough as is. We will figure something out. Thanks
Old 11-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Just an FYI - 2020 will bring a slew of redesigned trucks. My guess is the redesigned trucks will he even higher than todays trucks. I had a 2012 Ford dually and my trailer was slightly nose high.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Farm View Post
I don’t want to raise trailer axles, my solitude seems tall enough as is.
Then you don't want to do what's required to make the trailer safe and economical to tow.

You want the floor of the trailer level, front to rear, when on the road. But you still need at least 5" (and preferably 6" or more) clearance between the bottom of the 5er overhang and the top of the bed rails.

If you cannot achieve a level trailer with adequate clearance over the bed rails by adjusting the hitch, then only way to do that is to either lower the truck or raise the 5er on its suspension. Lowering the truck is a big bag of expensive worms. Don't go there. So the only practical answer is to raise the trailer, or replace the pickup bed with a flatbed or hauler body.

Raising the trailer with leaf spring suspension is called "flipping the axles", but you don't literally turn over the axles. You move the spring perches from under the axles to over the axles. That will raise the pin box about 4". If that's not enough to result in a level trailer, then you have to fabricate longer/stronger spring shackles."

If your trailer is fancy enough to have Dexter TorFlex torsion axles instead of leaf spring suspension, then you don't "flip the axles". Instead you modify the torsion axles with a special lift kit sold by Dexter. Not cheap, and raises the trailer less than 3". If you need more than 3" I don't how to do it.

I towed my 5er with flipped axles for about 10 years and 100,000 miles, all over the lower 48. No problems caused by the lifted trailer. The trailer looked phunny - like it was wearing "high-water" pants - and I had to replace the 2-step entry steps with a 3-step assembly, but the trailer towed just fine.

Without removing the AC unit on the roof, my mid-profile 5er barely fit through the barn door to store it. If your trailer is full profile, you may need to remove the AC from the roof to squeeze the trailer through the barn door.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
So the only practical answer is to raise the trailer, or replace the pickup bed with a flatbed or hauler body.
I ran out of editing time when trying to add to the above post, so I'll just continue it in this post.

Hauler bodies are nice and sexy, but expensive. Just as good as a 5er hauler bed but a lot less expensive is a flat bed or platform bed with storages boxes. My favorite is this one:
https://www.knapheide.com/gooseneck-...nd-p20/options

With that bed, you would also need to replace the 5er kingpin with a gooseneck hitch. Here's the answer:
http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pi...aYylyd0YNyRd0A

Things fall off a flat bed if you don't have at least a few inches of side and tailboards. So my fix is to use 2x6 or even 2x4 sideboards with stakes screwed on to keep stuff on th bed. Have your bed installer add stake pockets if the flatbed or platform body you choose doesn't have them standard.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

Just exploring options if anyone else had these issues. Cutting down a $100K truck to look like a farm truck definitely won’t be happening. Nose high doesn’t bother me you can getaway with doing this on a fifthwheel but not a travel trailer. As long as I have 6in bedrail clearance. My reluctance to raise trailer is it’s fairly high already, but that is a option I will look at when I drop trailer onto truck this week. Ideally if I could lower back of truck would be the nicest scenario. I maybe surprised and find the ford May squat more than I think with 4000lbs weight on it and it won’t sit any higher than on the Gmc. All good thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

I think my 2012 F-450 would drop about 3" with 3,200lbs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

When you do load the trailer on the truck if it don't squat enough. Load the fresh water tank if its up front. Many are. 50 gallons or so of water might help make it squat more. My last 5ver truck combo I always kept the fresh water tank full. Truck road better and gave more clearance.

Lol on a side note. My Current rig carries 5700 on the pin and my truck squats about an inch. Lol
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Farm View Post
Nose high doesn’t bother me you can getaway with doing this on a fifthwheel but not a travel trailer.
Where did you dig up that misinformation? Whether 5er or TT, the floor of the trailer should be level, front to rear. So both (or all 3) trailer axles are hauling about the same weight. So the trailer brakes work as designed. And so in a mishap such as a crash, the front of the trailer doesn't crawl up over the tow vehicle, or submarine under the tow vehicle.

IOW, safety. A nose-high 5er is not as safe as one that's properly fit to the tow vehicle.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #12

I have lots of pin weight and FYI my first axle carries more weight than last. This may be because my fifth wheel is longer than some. I would feel safer with my front a bit higher than jacking up and shackling to raise it to get top heavey and more air under it just to look level. That would actually put even more weight on front axle. But the equa-flex system does help this a bit. Trailer weight is 16,000& lbs which of course truck has 4000 on it. I guess I could get a 3/4 ton and sit way down so trailer looks level to look good for some, but I know this is safe and reliable.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

FWIW--
Had my '05 Suites on a '10 450--towed perfectly level, no clearance problems. Now have a '17 450/'15 Mobile Suites. Trailer tows possibly 1" high in front, clearance of 5-6" bed to overhang.
The solution for the DRV Suites/Ford pickups is to add a 2" or 3" riser tube between the frame and suspension.
Have you hooked everything up and measured bed/ground clearances?
And, have you accurately measured the height of your Solitude, or using brochure specs?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer