Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

2020 F-350 SRW GVWR - 12400lbs

Not confirmed, but pulled from a order screen shot, which I have attached.

Thats a 900lb boost in GVWR - it will be interesting what the payload tags come out to - I know they won't be what currently is tagged on the trucks + 900lbs.

As a reminder, GVWR is really what has limited the F-350 SRW's from towing 16000lbs GVWR trailers, as usually the RAW is not fully loaded (in my experience).

IIRC I weighed about 3250lbs on the rear axle of my truck empty with a 3700lb payload tag, so would hope for at least 4000lbs+ to match the 7200lbs RAWR on my XLT. Might get the loaded/limited/platinum/toomuchcrap editions up close to 4000lbs as well, which would be good. The trucks have gotten heavier with luxery items, and the artificially low GVWR was really hurting them.

From my understanding, there are no mechanical differences between a 2019 and 2020 besides the new 10 speed trans and maybe some minor engine tunes, so just to prove again the 2017-2019 were really held back by that sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0b7e5a4f_75a3_4d08_8fcc_f54fe4f448f9_4210b2fa26491353e9ebbf870e1deb46ec5dbe12.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	258293  
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

Good info, thanks for posting. I now have trailer that weighs 6,500lbs but am always looking for a larger one.

The optimum tow vehicle for me:

2020/2021 F-350 SRW White matelic paint
2 WD with with a locking rear diff
Lariat trim with the Lariat plus package
7.3 Godzilla engine.
LED lighting package

I have a silver 2017 F-250 with those options and like the truck a lot. Oh, and my F-250 has a 3,497 Occupant / Cargo capacity.

* That is after seeing the truck and watching TFL and others test it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

This is evidence that MFG GVWR and Payload which is based on GVWR mean NOTHING

Axle Ratings/Tire Max Load Ratings are the Limiting factors NOT GVWR/PAYLOAD because those two are whatever the MFG decides them to be but are a GREAT Marketing Tool.

Fact is many states don't even care about MFG GVWR.....you can register your vehicle for HIGHER GVWs---just pay the Fees and slap the reigtration sticker on
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Old-B - does occupant / cargo capacity mean anything? If so, you can take the weight of a empty truck and add occupant / cargo capacity and that number will always be close to the GVWR I think.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Old-B - does occupant / cargo capacity mean anything? If so, you can take the weight of a empty truck and add occupant / cargo capacity and that number will always be close to the GVWR I think.

Of course it will....
That is how CCC (Payload) is derived
GVWR minus GVW===CCC

Neither of which are true limiting factors
Old 08-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #6

IMO opinion axle weight and tire rating is the rule and rating to follow. overload one or both you probably have issues on the horizon
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #7

Old-B - you got me there with 'true limiting factor'. That implies physics and engineering to decide what are 'True limiting factors'. If GVWR is not a limiting factor because it is a bogus number then all numbers are bogus. Axle and tires ratings are probably as bogus as any other number don't you think?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Old-B - you got me there with 'true limiting factor'. That implies physics and engineering to decide what are 'True limiting factors'. If GVWR is not a limiting factor because it is a bogus number then all numbers are bogus. Axle and tires ratings are probably as bogus as any other number don't you think?

Tire Load Ratings are stamped in sidewall....MAX Load/Max PSI
Axle Ratings are less then Axle MFG ratings...Vehicle MFG derates based on suspension/tire/wheel components

GVWR is MFGs number for warranty issues, Class of Vehicle destinctions and Registration Fees

Exceeding GVWR/Payload is not going to result in failure
Axle ratings as per Vehicle MFG will not result in failure
Exceeding Tire Max Load ratings CAN
But staying under axle/tire load ratings will keep you from being OVERLOADED

It really is that simple.........
Old 08-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #9

The "true limiting factor" regarding towing or carry weight is when the weight you carry or tow is too heavy and causes a mechanical failure or an accident. The problem is, not even the engineers know precisely were this point is on any specific vehicle. So they provide guidelines to stay under to try and keep you and the rest of the people on the road safe. And while not set in stone or a perfect science, it seems a bit selfish and unnecessarily risky to willy-nilly ignore manufacturer recommended weight limits.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
The "true limiting factor" regarding towing or carry weight is when the weight you carry or tow is too heavy and causes a mechanical failure or an accident. The problem is, not even the engineers know precisely were this point is on any specific vehicle. So they provide guidelines to stay under to try and keep you and the rest of the people on the road safe. And while not set in stone or a perfect science, it seems a bit selfish and unnecessarily risky to willy-nilly ignore manufacturer recommended weight limits.

No willy-nilly being done
Information being used as presented and researched.

Notice I didn't attack your opinion

Have a nice day....bye
Old 08-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Notice I didn't attack your opinion
And I didn't mean to "attack" your opinion if that is the way it came off. It is not like I've never towed over purported limits, but I also don't have complete confidence that my decisions to do is in the past were all that wise. I am not an engineer and don't feel like I am in a great position to second guess the ones making the recommendations. And I personally believe (from talking to a few auto safety engineers) that there is a substantial margin built in to some of the limits, but they also all seemed to agree that it is not always easy to figure out just how much that margin is.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
The problem is, not even the engineers know precisely were this point is on any specific vehicle.
Materials strength testing for failure is a huge part of engineering and I think we can all be pretty sure the folks designing and rating our trucks (and the tires, axles, etc.) have loaded things up to the point of failure a time or two.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Materials strength testing for failure is a huge part of engineering and I think we can all be pretty sure the folks designing and rating our trucks (and the tires, axles, etc.) have loaded things up to the point of failure a time or two.
Sure, but complex systems can become unsafe before individual parts fail and even similarly designed individual parts can fail under different levels of stress. Too much carry weight on a conventional hitch, for example, can get you in trouble by reducing the level of friction on the front tires even if individual parts don't fail, and even if the load is under the axle ratings.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #14

Humm, good to know but the GVWR is stamped on the sticker on drivers side door jam. My trailer hitch has numbers stamped on it also.

Now I am not sure which ones I can ignore and which ones I can't.