Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

2020 F450

Does anyone have any info as to when dealers will start taking orders for the F450. I know they've stopped taking orders for the '19s and have ordering info for the F150, but all dealers I contact say they have no idea when the 450 info will come in. I think no one is motivated enough to find out for me. I have a DRV on order with expected delivery date of mid Oct. Looks as if I'll be looking for a hauler to bring it home for me. Was hoping someone on this forum might have a contact in a Ford dealership.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #2

The dealer should hold your DRV until you get a truck. I had a dealer hold a travel trailer for 2 months once.

I am still hearing late fall for shipments to the dealer but sorry, don't know when they will open up ordering.

I have read the PowerStroke will be improved in several ways with many stronger engine parts, new injectors, for better economy and quieter.

The 2020 F-450 should be a great tow vehicle. I had a 2012 F-450 that I liked.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
I have a DRV on order with expected delivery date of mid Oct. Looks as if I'll be looking for a hauler to bring it home for me.
In a typical model year, you cannot expect a new SuperDuty pickup to be ordered/built/shipped, and arrive at the dealership before Thanksgiving, and more likely is Christmas or New Years or even later. So forgetabout having a 2020 F-450 pickup by mid October. Ain't gonna happen.

One option is to have your dealer find a 2019 in stock somewhere. Another option is to have DRV put the new trailer in storage at/near the assembly plant until you can take delivery of the new truck. Or as you concluded, hire a trailer hauler to bring it to you. Or maybe rent a truck with a hitch that can handle that trailer.

My dealer closes promptly at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, so he didn't answer the phone when I called at 6:02. I'll check with him fist thing in the morning, but I suspect you're wasting time if you need a 2020 F-450 delivered to your dealer by mid October.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #4

I'm sure my dealer would hold it for me but you know how it is when you get a new toy. You wanna take it home and play with it. Need a little time learning the ins and outs of it before we take our winter trip. Coming from a motorhome so prolly will be an adjustment period. Got several days planned at the dealer when it comes in.
I also hear good things about the 2020 450. Thats why I decided to wait instead of getting a 19. As long as I can take delivery of the truck by December I'll be ok.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

When I had a F-450 towing a 5th wheel I thought I had a nice set-up until a tag axle motor home passed me doing 75 mph.

I passed all single rear axle motorhomes and a few tag axle but more tag axle motorhomes passed me.

I came to the conclusion that a tag axle motorhome was the best.

Towing with a dually truck is really good and now with a 10 speed transmission might equal driving a tag axle MH.

You will need to report back how you like it compared to driving a tag axle MH.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

I had an '08 F450 King Ranch with a 36 ft Cedar Creek and I was very satisfied with it. Have been through 3 motorhomes since then with 2 of them bought new. As far as comfort you cant beat the ride of a tag axle on good roads. They'll beat you up as bad as anything else with bad roads. But for our style of camping a 5th wheel will serve our needs better. We stay in places for extended periods. If we were on the road more a motorhome would win out. Plus my health won't allow me to crawl around under a diesel pusher to perform the required maintenance now. So hopefully the F450 with a TrailerSaver hitch will be a prrtty good ride
Old 08-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

This might help: Start Up Dates
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #9

The way I read it, tomorrow you can order!!!
8-14-19 according to that post.

Oddly enough I bought a house but would say my 5th wheel was 90% as comfortable as the house. My 5th wheel was not a DRV class.

BTW - where do people that live in SC go in the winter?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The way I read it, tomorrow you can order!!!
8-14-19 according to that post.

Oddly enough I bought a house but would say my 5th wheel was 90% as comfortable as the house. My 5th wheel was not a DRV class.

BTW - where do people that live in SC go in the winter?
I hope thats accurate.
We usually end up in Gulf Shores, Al. Not necessarily trying to escape winter just enjoy hanging out with those that do. Got friends from all over that congregate there.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:44 AM   #11

Quote:
When I had a F-450 towing a 5th wheel I thought I had a nice set-up until a tag axle motor home passed me doing 75 mph.

I passed all single rear axle motorhomes and a few tag axle but more tag axle motorhomes passed me.

I came to the conclusion that a tag axle motorhome was the best.

I have trouble standing under this. If they beat you to the campground do they take all the fun?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #12

If I have 1,000 miles to drive I really do not like poking around. If you are one of those guys that drive 62mph when the speed limit is 70mph so be it. If the speed limit is 70 I like to drive 70 - 72 to keep with the flow of traffic.

I had a tow vehicle that could only tow at 62mph on the highway. It was terrible with all the semi trucks whizzing by. Actually it felt dangerous to me as the Semi's air wake affected my rig.

So driving 62 mph...been there, done that and did not like it.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #13

Quote:
If I have 1,000 miles to drive I really do not like poking around. If you are one of those guys that drive 62mph when the speed limit is 70mph so be it. If the speed limit is 70 I like to drive 70 - 72 to keep with the flow of traffic.

I had a tow vehicle that could only tow at 62mph on the highway. It was terrible with all the semi trucks whizzing by. Actually it felt dangerous to me as the Semi's air wake affected my rig.

So driving 62 mph...been there, done that and did not like it.
One night, in the preverbal long and short situation, I crossed Nebraska Omaha to state line near Julesburg, and by GPS average speed was 78 MPH.
But in a lifetime of driving for a living, the only time I adjusted my speed based on who was passing me was when running fat, and did not want to attract attention of the weight watcher. Most days hold her about 62, put in 500-600 in a legal day. Now I don't care to run that far, and I hamn sure don't worry about who is passing me.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuder99 View Post
This might help: Start Up Dates
Yep, that confirms what I suspected,

F-Series Super DutyF-250 - F-450 Pickup

Louisville,KY

08/14/19 (order bank opens)

11/04/19 (assembly line begins production)

Conclusion: if you order today, from a dealer that's on the ball, you may have it by Xmas.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote