Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I have hauled 12,000 pound 5ers with a Ford F350 V10 gasser and now an F250 with a 6.7 diesel. The V10 did a great job, regardless of the naysayers. But it wasn't a diesel. The gas mileage was, ahem, ####(insert your own negative word here). The rpm needed to haul that 5er up a long hill was high and the transmission in a much lower gear - but both were built to handle those extremes at the cost of burned gasoline. We took an identical trip with both trucks. The gasser would crest a hill at say 40-45 mph and in 2nd or 3rd at 4000+ rpm. The diesel, 2200 rpm and in 4th or 5th and at the speed limit.

To purchase - the gas powered truck will be less expensive. To maintain, also less expensive. If you are going to use the truck as a daily driver, the gasser will pump out heat in the winter after only a couple miles, the diesel - eventually - maybe - depending on the length of your trip. Are you going to haul your 5er a lot or to a seasonal CG and a short trip or two? If a lot, the diesel may be best. If only a couple times a year - that diesel is a real expensive truck.

Of course if you really lust for that diesel pickup - by all means, get one

Now, there are the next considerations - long bed/short bed - dually/ single rear wheels - standard cab/extended cab/crew cab, basic trim/mid/high/premium.

Just a note about the Ford long vs short bed trucks - short bed trucks have small fuel tanks ~28 gallon vs ~39 gallon which has a distinct bearing on your driving 'fun' while hauling a 5th wheel.
I mean I do want a diesel.... but money is a huge consideration. Regarding use, I figure next year ill tow probably about the same as this year ~10,000 miles. In your opinion, how many miles/year do you need to be towing to make it worth the diesel?

Regarding long/short bed, isnt the answer overwhelmingly long bed? I thought with short bed trucks you need a slide hitch, which just plain looks like a bother to me.

Regarding trim, I have an XLT now, and am happy with the trim/comfort level, and so is my wife. Id probably like to stick to an XLT if possible.

Do the 250s and 350s have different gears or anything significant for towing? I know the 450s have hugely different gears. I thought from 250 to 350 it is mostly the addition of a few leaf springs. Any other major towing differences (presuming both are SRW)?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #16

I faced the same issues in 2013. I found a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado dually diesel with 80K miles in the price range you mention. Since my mileage was less than 100K, I was able to buy a service plan for the truck. The plan payed for itself when I had to have the injectors replaced at 110K. I also got some service plan payback when the AC quit working while we sere traveling. I am near 138K now, and the truck looks and runs great. I feel like I did the right thing. FWIW, I would look harder at gas trucks if I had to do this again. I almost made a deal on a late model Ford Lariat F350 dually with a gas engine the week before I bought my truck. I walked away because I could get a good trade on the van I owned. I was pretty.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #17
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderman111 View Post
I mean I do want a diesel.... but money is a huge consideration. Regarding use, I figure next year ill tow probably about the same as this year ~10,000 miles. In your opinion, how many miles/year do you need to be towing to make it worth the diesel?

Regarding long/short bed, isnt the answer overwhelmingly long bed? I thought with short bed trucks you need a slide hitch, which just plain looks like a bother to me.

Regarding trim, I have an XLT now, and am happy with the trim/comfort level, and so is my wife. Id probably like to stick to an XLT if possible.

Do the 250s and 350s have different gears or anything significant for towing? I know the 450s have hugely different gears. I thought from 250 to 350 it is mostly the addition of a few leaf springs. Any other major towing differences (presuming both are SRW)?
Since I know the Ford line best -----

Unfortunately there are way more short bed trucks sold these days but with that said, they are more maneuverable and if the 5er you expect to buy has an extended pin box, you may not need a slider hitch ---- how many 80-90 degree turns will you be making.

An F250 and an F350 for all intent, are identical trucks with two exceptions besides the badges. The 350 has a 4" axle block while the 250, only a 2". The other is that @#$% yellow weight capacity sticker on the B pillar (door latch side). An F250 will max out at 10,000 pounds total, depending on the suspension. The F350, 11,200 or more depending on the year. This is to satisfy state registration regs and insurance companies. For example, mine is a 10,000 GVW truck. That is until you look at the actual spring part numbers and you see that it really is 12,100. As far as gear ratios - let your fingers do the walking. A 6.8 V10 works well with a 4.10, a 6.2, a 4.30. The diesel - 3.54 or 3.73 as it revs less with 400Hp/800 Lb ft torque working for you.

Trim level is your preference. In a new truck it will be significant dollars. Used - not a whole lot until you get into the King Ranch/Platinum level. I have had XLT's and been just as happy as with the current and just past Lariat. The current truck has some bells and whistles I'll never use - but I really like the heated seats in the winter when the heater just never catches up and in the summer, they are cooled. I do draw the line with an XL though.

You can look for a camper/5er package as that will give you an overload leaf as well as a rear sway bar. Again, new, you order what you want. Used, you need to do your homework and have the info at hand when you do your looking. Many, if not most owners and even dealers have no clue what the door sticker codes mean.

If you are actually going to tow 10K miles per year, then IMO, you should be looking at a diesel and move your dollar figure up to allow that decision. But with that said, 10,000 miles is really about 3.5 trip across the country and more miles then many full timers accumulate.

Whatever you choose, most Ford SD's will do the job with a lot of 5er choices. I'm right at my personal limit for length (38'-39') as well as weight (12 - 13K)before a dually would be a more comfortable tow vehicle.

Have fun!!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #18

As far as reliability and being within you price range, 03-07 dodge 2500/3500 Srw is probably your best bet. Somewhere around 130k or less miles. Mine is an 06 with 130k miles and I've driven it across the US with my trailer and have no issues. I'm in Texas so I'm not as concerned about rust as you would be. Honestly the Ford body of that year is hard to beat but those dang engines are scary. Maybe consider the 05-07 chevy with the duramax. No injector issues and if you have the LBZ engine code you have a very great engine. Also, maybe consider the 8.1 in the chevy. Beast of a motor for gas. I had one. Ate only 1/2 quart of oil between changes with switched to synthetic and how plenty of go for California mountain passes with a 10k TT.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I faced the same issues in 2013. I found a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado dually diesel with 80K miles in the price range you mention. Since my mileage was less than 100K, I was able to buy a service plan for the truck. The plan payed for itself when I had to have the injectors replaced at 110K. I also got some service plan payback when the AC quit working while we sere traveling. I am near 138K now, and the truck looks and runs great. I feel like I did the right thing. FWIW, I would look harder at gas trucks if I had to do this again. I almost made a deal on a late model Ford Lariat F350 dually with a gas engine the week before I bought my truck. I walked away because I could get a good trade on the van I owned. I was pretty.

Very interesting to hear that you would look harder at a gasser to do it again.. thank you for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Since I know the Ford line best -----

Unfortunately there are way more short bed trucks sold these days but with that said, they are more maneuverable and if the 5er you expect to buy has an extended pin box, you may not need a slider hitch ---- how many 80-90 degree turns will you be making.

An F250 and an F350 for all intent, are identical trucks with two exceptions besides the badges. The 350 has a 4" axle block while the 250, only a 2". The other is that @#$% yellow weight capacity sticker on the B pillar (door latch side). An F250 will max out at 10,000 pounds total, depending on the suspension. The F350, 11,200 or more depending on the year. This is to satisfy state registration regs and insurance companies. For example, mine is a 10,000 GVW truck. That is until you look at the actual spring part numbers and you see that it really is 12,100. As far as gear ratios - let your fingers do the walking. A 6.8 V10 works well with a 4.10, a 6.2, a 4.30. The diesel - 3.54 or 3.73 as it revs less with 400Hp/800 Lb ft torque working for you.

Trim level is your preference. In a new truck it will be significant dollars. Used - not a whole lot until you get into the King Ranch/Platinum level. I have had XLT's and been just as happy as with the current and just past Lariat. The current truck has some bells and whistles I'll never use - but I really like the heated seats in the winter when the heater just never catches up and in the summer, they are cooled. I do draw the line with an XL though.

You can look for a camper/5er package as that will give you an overload leaf as well as a rear sway bar. Again, new, you order what you want. Used, you need to do your homework and have the info at hand when you do your looking. Many, if not most owners and even dealers have no clue what the door sticker codes mean.

If you are actually going to tow 10K miles per year, then IMO, you should be looking at a diesel and move your dollar figure up to allow that decision. But with that said, 10,000 miles is really about 3.5 trip across the country and more miles then many full timers accumulate.

Whatever you choose, most Ford SD's will do the job with a lot of 5er choices. I'm right at my personal limit for length (38'-39') as well as weight (12 - 13K)before a dually would be a more comfortable tow vehicle.

Have fun!!!!!
Very interesting differences between the 250 and 350! Thank you for that! I dont care tooo much about heated seats, but man would cooled seats be nice! Yeah, the XLT is plenty nice for me, but the XL just looks very hard to warm up to.

Im at 7,445 miles so far this year and I still have several trips planned, so I think I am well on track for 10k this year. Already been to Florida, Colorado, TN (2x), several places in OH, and more... Going to MI, NY, and SC later this year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
As far as reliability and being within you price range, 03-07 dodge 2500/3500 Srw is probably your best bet. Somewhere around 130k or less miles. Mine is an 06 with 130k miles and I've driven it across the US with my trailer and have no issues. I'm in Texas so I'm not as concerned about rust as you would be. Honestly the Ford body of that year is hard to beat but those dang engines are scary. Maybe consider the 05-07 chevy with the duramax. No injector issues and if you have the LBZ engine code you have a very great engine. Also, maybe consider the 8.1 in the chevy. Beast of a motor for gas. I had one. Ate only 1/2 quart of oil between changes with switched to synthetic and how plenty of go for California mountain passes with a 10k TT.
Yeah, 03-07 dodges up here are just terrible... Chevys are a good option as far as I can see from a reliability standpoint, but I would still be looking trucks with 150K+ miles (and 10 years old)...

So heres a new spin on the question: use pattern aside, would you rather buy a ~5-6 year old gasser with less than 100k, or a 8-10 year old diesel with ~180k? Those seem to be my rough options for equivalent money. (now that I write it out like that, the gasser looks like a way better option....)

I wish gassers were more common in the higher trim levels... XLs are a dime a dozen, but man are they boring...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #20

In that price range, I'd get a gasser. Less likely to have mechanical problems beyond the motor and less overall wear and tear (rust). Plus lower repair costs. Unless you could find a deal from someone like me, sold a 10 yr old diesel 2wd with 100k miles, always garaged for $14k. I just prefer driving newer diesels
Old 08-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #21

2007 and older Chevy/GMC. NO added emmissions restrictions so MPGs are good. Allison transmission is very strong. You can usually find them with 120K miles for around $20,000.

Also, 5.9 Dodge Cummins would be my next choice.

I stay away from Ford's with the 6.0 because they had a rash of problems.

I picked up my GMC one year ago with $120K miles. It is strictly used for towing. I am up to 130K now and just returned from a 2800 mile RV trip through UT, CO, and WY. Truck did exceptional through Berthoud Pass (11,300ft), Rabbit Ears pass (9,500ft), and Eisenhower Tunnel (11,000 ft). I get 17 avg empty and 12 mpg loaded.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #22

In that price range an older Dodge Cummins dually would be your best choice.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #23

Check out the MDT's. Your price range for used. Diesel. Will last a long time just a thought.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 PM   #24

Great thread and info so far. I've had several smaller trucks over the years but my last two were 2500s - an 06 Duramax and am currently in a 6.4 Hemi. I towed an 11,000# 5th wheel with the Dmax, an 8500# TT with both and now another 11K 5th wheel with the Hemi.

Ironically, over the weekend I was out on a crazy camping trip including getting lost and ending up on 25 miles of crappy, bumpy and steep gravel road. I was in 4LO for quite awhile to control speed going down some steep hills. I have to say I was absolutely impressed with how well the Hemi gasser did from a power perspective. And I have the 3.73 gears and REALLY wish I'd have held out for the 4.10s. The point in all of this is I think you'll get a newer, lower mileage truck with a gasser.

There's another thing at play with the price range diesel you'd be looking at. The pre-emission trucks (06/07ish and older) are VERY high in demand so they'll be expensive for what you get.

I'm currently in the Ram but am in no way brand loyal. I think your run down of brands is spot on and pretty much my opinion in most ways. The Ford V10 is a great motor but sure loves every gas station it passes. I'm not up enough on the prices but if you could get into a Ford 6.2 that would probably be your best bet. The Ram 6.4 didn't come out until 2014 so I'm not sure if you could tough one for under 20K. I'm guessing not. The Chevy 6.0 is a great motor. From reading forums over the years I get the feeling the Chevy was the best combination for quite awhile until Ram and Ford came out with the 6.4 and 6.2. It's still close. The Chevy transmission gets great reviews. If you do go gasser get the highest gearing you can.

Of course, nothing tows like a diesel so if one falls in your lap I'd grab it. To me this is kind of like the TT vs. 5th wheel debate. I was on a lot measuring a travel trailer when the 5th wheel with a perfect floor plan happened to be sitting next to it. I'd keep an open mind and have fun shopping.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Great thread and info so far. I've had several smaller trucks over the years but my last two were 2500s - an 06 Duramax and am currently in a 6.4 Hemi. I towed an 11,000# 5th wheel with the Dmax, an 8500# TT with both and now another 11K 5th wheel with the Hemi.

Ironically, over the weekend I was out on a crazy camping trip including getting lost and ending up on 25 miles of crappy, bumpy and steep gravel road. I was in 4LO for quite awhile to control speed going down some steep hills. I have to say I was absolutely impressed with how well the Hemi gasser did from a power perspective. And I have the 3.73 gears and REALLY wish I'd have held out for the 4.10s. The point in all of this is I think you'll get a newer, lower mileage truck with a gasser.

There's another thing at play with the price range diesel you'd be looking at. The pre-emission trucks (06/07ish and older) are VERY high in demand so they'll be expensive for what you get.

I'm currently in the Ram but am in no way brand loyal. I think your run down of brands is spot on and pretty much my opinion in most ways. The Ford V10 is a great motor but sure loves every gas station it passes. I'm not up enough on the prices but if you could get into a Ford 6.2 that would probably be your best bet. The Ram 6.4 didn't come out until 2014 so I'm not sure if you could tough one for under 20K. I'm guessing not. The Chevy 6.0 is a great motor. From reading forums over the years I get the feeling the Chevy was the best combination for quite awhile until Ram and Ford came out with the 6.4 and 6.2. It's still close. The Chevy transmission gets great reviews. If you do go gasser get the highest gearing you can.

Of course, nothing tows like a diesel so if one falls in your lap I'd grab it. To me this is kind of like the TT vs. 5th wheel debate. I was on a lot measuring a travel trailer when the 5th wheel with a perfect floor plan happened to be sitting next to it. I'd keep an open mind and have fun shopping.
Good input, thanks!

So my wife has convinced me to wait until spring to change things up... By then we will have had our current setup for a whole year, and we should be in a little better financial position too. Hopefully by then I will be able to pay up and get a diesel, but I feel much more comfortable about the thought of getting a gasser now too.

We will see what spring brings!