Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbursek View Post
Actually the 4-6-8 was a flop!!! GM/Cadilac recalled the engines and set them to run on all 8 cylinders because they where not shifting back and forth as they were designed to.
Bob
I understand that, but the "real time" R&D laid the groundwork for what they have now, so in that respect it was a success; maybe not as a fully functional end product, but technology is an on going adventure.
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #16

ok... heres the flipside to your MPG test. get on an open road, reset the computer at a stop sign. now put your foot to the floor. as the truck accelerates watch your milage. ive seen it go to 5.4 myself.

ooopps.. now its the 5.4hemi

lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn boyd View Post
ok... heres the flipside to your MPG test. get on an open road, reset the computer at a stop sign. now put your foot to the floor. as the truck accelerates watch your milage. ive seen it go to 5.4 myself.

ooopps.. now its the 5.4hemi

ANYTHING WILL GET POOR MILEAGE WITH YOUR FOOT TO THE FLOOR !Come on people, such negativity............PLEASE let's end this topic and move on; I KNOW what works for me and just thought I would share it, in hopes that it might help someone else.........GEEZ, and I thought they only allowed grownups on this forum.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
GPM is like religion and politics - a very personal belief, best not discussed in public, certain to start an argument if brought up in open discussion.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
GPM is like religion and politics - a very personal belief, best not discussed in public, certain to start an argument if brought up in open discussion.
I beg to differ; my mpg averages are not due to a belief, and as such do not fit in that category. what is disparaging about some forum topics is that because some people come here "looking for an argument", is that any reason those of us who prefer to try to help others, or to ENHANCE the conversation in someone else's topic should refrain; or be subject to "because I say so" criticism. As in the case of my good MPG history with my truck............I am simply posting both the parameters that I use to get good mileage, and the "intent" that it may help someone else. Irregardless of the negative comments, numbers do not lie; I know what I am spending for gas and I know how far I am driving with that gas.....do the calculations and the numbers come out consistent.

When I was growing up, I was taught by my mother..."if you can't add something positive to the conversation, then keep quiet and don't but-in" I guess there are many who were not taught that or either ignored it. For those who know me on the forums, you will notice I NEVER have anything negative to say in response to anyone's topics. I try to learn from others and if I can "help" the conversation, then I post accordingly. It is NOT in the TRUE spirit of these forums to be so negative and try to tear down what the good people of the forums are building up. THIS IS THE FINEST FORUM GROUP on the internet, and ALL OF US NEED TO HELP MAINTAIN THAT INTEGRITY.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #20

It's called Hypermiling and it DOES work if you follow the tips and guidelines!!

Hypermiling :: Even without a hybrid car, no more need to compare gas prices

My mama said "If you can't say something nice say nothing at all", an especially good concept on these forums...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
ScGator,

Thanks for the information. I found it interesting as I am sure many other did, eventhough they don't post comments.

My suggestion is to just disregard any negative comments, and let the reader "consider the source".... which is just want I did when I read thier comments.

Your experience was interesting to me since we have a Jeep Cherokee 5.7 HEMI and was wondering how applicable it might be to the Jeep.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
We get the 25 MPG when cruising at 55 MPH or less on the freeway.
The only problem is driving 55 when the speed limit on the interstate is 70 or 75. You'll get excellent mileage, in any vehicle at that speed...if you don't get run over or blown off the road!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #23

I did not know it was called hypermilling........ but, I do know it makes a difference. In reference to your Jeep; I would first make sure that I had the tallest OEM tire available installed. Many people like the P rated white letter "cushy" tires, but they are shorter in height and that can make a substantial difference in your operating RPM; for example when I first bought my truck, it had a new set of P rated tires on it, so I figured we would let it go until we needed tires again. The very first trip with our TT, I noticed on the interstate when the truck wanted to shift itself to "passing gear" when climbing a hill that the engine RPM jumped to almost 4500 RPM. After this trip I went to a real truck tire dealer and bought a set of Firestone Transforce HT tires; they are the same tire construction as those on the 18 wheelers. They are rated at 80 PSI, but I run them at 60 PSI for a softer ride. The very next trip I found out that when the transmission wanted to downshift into "passing gear" climbing a hill....it only jumped up to around 3100 RPM. And all I did was change tires.

Make yourself get into the habit of monitoring your MPG computer and resetting it frequently until you get used to its pattern mode. REMEMBER, it will not change from its current default setting unless prompted. I would take the Jeep, fill it with gas and then get out on the Interstate and run @ 60 MPH for a while, every few minutes resetting the computer. Then change your speed from time to time, still resetting the computer. What you are doing here is in other words, you are "teaching" the computer where to look for its defaults; a pattern of consistent numbers will embed a search history for the computer to rely on when you set the cruise.

Pay attention to factors like, accelerating on on ramps, etc. or having to slow down for traffic and then speed up again. Eventually you will get the hang of it. And of course good driving habits are a major contributing factor that the computer also remembers.

Happy motoring my friend.....
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The only problem is driving 55 when the speed limit on the interstate is 70 or 75. You'll get excellent mileage, in any vehicle at that speed...if you don't get run over or blown off the road!
Freeway, not Interstate; we have local four lanes around here that are posted 55 MPH. I would not think of 55 MPH on an Interstate (speedway)

However, if conditions warrant, such as heavier than usual traffic, or rainy conditions, I will slow down slightly. Not enough to impede traffic, but to be safe and let "those who wish to" travel on.............(I have totaled a truck before while attempting to water ski with it, ended up throwing one of our kids through the windshield and LEARNED my lesson about wet pavement)

Thanks for your post though, it reminds me to fully explain myself better.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #25

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the information as I am looking into a new truck.
Fjrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #26

you cant honestly be that sensitive about fuel mileage!?
point is.. your MPG test is not any more "real world" than if you were to reset the computer at the top of a canyon, put it in neutral and coast down.

you guys saying, "consider the source", and "i thought they only let grownups here"..

that's more offensive than me saying your MPG test is misleading. wow!
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
despite it all
you are doing what makes you happy to get great mpg. good on you

i admit 55 on an interstate is a hindrance to traffic flow, but there places and times that would work.

wife and i challenge each other in our truck to beat the clock so to speak and we change our habits to make the readout go higher.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #28

powerboatr,
........ perhaps you misunderstood; I do not drive 55 MPH on Interstates, only on expressways, etc. around "home base" that are marked 55 MPH. BTW, your username interests me, we just had the Augusta Southern Nationals Drag Boats races here a couple of weeks ago; LOL, they had to "take several breaks" because of alligators on the starting line this year.