Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
OKE

TV is 2011 tundra 4x4 dbl cab 5.7, weight distribution hitch with one sway bar, trailer is similar weight to yours, A 25' bigfoot usually about 7000 lbs ready to travel. The tundra tows it well with no lack of power going over monarch pass in Colorado and no sway even in strong cross winds, towing mileage has been 10 to 12, not great but about what I expected from a half ton gas truck that is close to being maxed out weight wise. Truck has 6.5' bed that will run out of payload before room when towing the RV. When at home I also have a utility trailer for items that are to large for truck bed. If I was going to tow larger and heavier I would go with F150 max payload or 3/4 ton gas. The diesels operating cost are to high for me but are a good option for a lot of RVers.
OKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I sometimes wonder if people know how to use a calculator with some of the outrageous mileage claims I've seen I have a 2012 F350 6.7 diesel. I tow a 30' trailer that is about 7,500 pounds all loaded including my firewood. I get 10mpg on average. I'd say anything between 10 and 13 is good. Those claiming more must never have any inclines and be traveling at a constant slope downhill
Ditto mileage for my 2011 Dodge 6.7 diesel pulling our 31' tt. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I sometimes wonder if people know how to use a calculator with some of the outrageous mileage claims I've seen I have a 2012 F350 6.7 diesel. I tow a 30' trailer that is about 7,500 pounds all loaded including my firewood. I get 10mpg on average. I'd say anything between 10 and 13 is good. Those claiming more must never have any inclines and be traveling at a constant slope downhill
I agree totally. I had a 7300lb tall TT that I towed with a 2010 F150 5.4 3.73 and averaged 8.5. Moved up to a Ram CTD 3.73 and got 11mpg. We recently towed it from Salem to La Grande on I-84 with a huge tail wind. Got 12.5 running around 62-65mph. To get 13 from that big of a TT with a gasser would be fantastic. But somehow I just can't buy it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

I would like to point out that all of you that are having a hard time beleiving that a diesel truck is doing good at 13 mpg are driving newer trucks that while yes they have lots of power they also have lots of emmisions that makes them get worse mileage than an older powerstroke or cummins when they are unloaded let alone towing something. I have a 1999 7.3 powerstroke while it dosnt have near the power a 2012 powerstroke does, i have next to no emmissions equipment on mine and unloaded hand calculated in Northern Nevada where there is lots of mountians i average 19.3 mpg and when i hook a trailer to it, it drops to around 15-16, in my previouse post i said that it can tow my trailers at 75 but that dosnt mean that i do, i usually go 65. and i also keep a very close eye on my mileage to be sure that my truck is running in tip top condition which is very important when driving a truck thats got 250k on the odometer. And as to the comment that if you go diesel you better not skimp on maintenece iv ownd gas truck that were way more picky about service than my diesel is. as long as you buy good oil, i use delo non synthetic, and i usually go about 10k before an oil change, granted an oil change does cost $100 and i do it myself but that is in large part to the fact that my truck takes 4 gallons of oil. sorry about my little rant i just dont appreciate being called a liar.
Mchek91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #19

I have a Ford 150 5.0 I have a 30' keystone weight 7000 lbs. I get just at 10 mpg
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchek91 View Post
i usually go about 10k before an oil change, granted an oil change does cost $100
10k miles on an HEUI motor? How's your UOAs?
It's just highly unlikely for ANY powerstroke to get that mileage. Unless you're lowered, very aerodynamic (which doesn't happen with a trailer), have 3.31s, and a ZF6 and other stuff.
Bigger tires throw off your speedo if not calibrated, and that's a possibility, even if hand calculated.
And idc if you tune/delete a 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7, they don't make that much.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #21

I have a 08 F350 4X4 short bed four door. 4.30 gears with 5 speed auto. Pulled a overloaded 24 foot enclosed car trailer from Kansas to Las Vegas and back. I40 out and I70 back. 2700 miles over hills and mountains both ways. Ran 65 to 75 most of the way. Overall average for the trip hand calculated was 8.21 MPG. Trailer was empty on the return trip on I70. This is the 362 HP 6.8 V10 Ford. Pickup makes about 10 to 12 mixed driving running empty. 10 city 12 highway. This truck is the single rear 20 inch wheels. Not a dully.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #22

If I keep my dodge ram hemi around 60-65 I get 10-12 mpg
If its windy if less , if I run 70 I'm in the 8-10 range

My little one lives in corpus , from my driveway to hers is 408 miles
My ram heading south on 35 from Lancaster running empty
Just me and DW , 70-80 mph I get 20. -21 mpg depending on head wind

Coming back north my mileage is always better 20- 21.5
Never hit 22 mpg driving 70-80 mph

That hemi likes 68 mph ??? Best mileage I can get
2009 5,7 hemi cc 20" tires
187,400 on the clock , water sensor and thermostat replaced
Great truck
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
There's an old saying down here in Texas about fuel mileage conversations - the first liar doesn't stand a chance!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #24

Quote:
I would like to point out that all of you that are having a hard time beleiving that a diesel truck is doing good at 13 mpg are driving newer trucks that while yes they have lots of power they also have lots of emmisions that makes them get worse mileage than an older powerstroke or cummins when they are unloaded let alone towing something. I have a 1999 7.3 powerstroke while it dosnt have near the power a 2012 powerstroke does, i have next to no emmissions equipment on mine and unloaded hand calculated in Northern Nevada where there is lots of mountians i average 19.3 mpg and when i hook a trailer to it, it drops to around 15-16, in my previouse post i said that it can tow my trailers at 75 but that dosnt mean that i do, i usually go 65. and i also keep a very close eye on my mileage to be sure that my truck is running in tip top condition which is very important when driving a truck thats got 250k on the odometer. And as to the comment that if you go diesel you better not skimp on maintenece iv ownd gas truck that were way more picky about service than my diesel is. as long as you buy good oil, i use delo non synthetic, and i usually go about 10k before an oil change, granted an oil change does cost $100 and i do it myself but that is in large part to the fact that my truck takes 4 gallons of oil. sorry about my little rant i just dont appreciate being called a liar.
if you are hand calculating then i dont think most of us are calling you a liar. my personal opinion is that most people are not hand calculating or they are driving the truck to work the day they go camping and that 20mpg offset will give you a false boost in towing fuel economy.

in regards to emissons, my 06 duramax only has egr (which has been deleted) and a cat. i get 12.5 @65 mph and 11.1 @ 75. still not quite your 15-16 @ 75 (if i recall your original post correctly). again, I am NOT saying yours doesnt do it, im just saying that mine, with my 6500gvwr trailer doesnt and im jealous

2015 Open Range 288flr
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
10k miles on an HEUI motor? How's your UOAs?
It's just highly unlikely for ANY powerstroke to get that mileage. Unless you're lowered, very aerodynamic (which doesn't happen with a trailer), have 3.31s, and a ZF6 and other stuff.
Bigger tires throw off your speedo if not calibrated, and that's a possibility, even if hand calculated.
And idc if you tune/delete a 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7, they don't make that much.

FWIW larger tires would make your mileage appear worse. you will register fewer miles than actually driven per tank

2015 Open Range 288flr
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #26

Quote:
I have heard the same thing many times from longtime owners of the 7.3 powerstroke as well as the 5.9 Cummins. Both were beasts that could work all day and still got gret mileage! I'm a believer! My 6.7 Cummins will tow all day, but the mileage is around 9-10 towing and 15-18(with a good tailwind)!!! Lol
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #27

It all depends on the situation. I see Ram commercials that shows the view of the HIC at 36 MPG and they claim its the rated fuel mileage. Towing my 15k trailer I see 999mpg often. I don't advertise it but I could like Ram does. I once crossed town in Vero Beach FL and my scangauge2 showed an average of 32usmpg. It can be done by hipermiling with a standard diesel.

Coming home through the the hills of NC I easily got 12.4usmpg towing and here in Canada I get above 20 usMPG every day while not towing.
I was geting barely 10mpg with the previous 98 GM diesel pulling our 11k 5th wheel and I was in the average in the day, with most other trucks. I did get the truck to do 19 usMPG at every tank with modifications, up from 14 while not towing.
I use my calibrated Scangauge2 and pull with fuel savings as a priority, and in 6 years it has been my best tool for fuel savings while my truck programed at 85hp increase.
For the naysayers if I have the chance to keep Turbo pressures lower then 10 psi. my towing can average as high as 15 usmpg. Not bad at all for cruising with 23k GCVW at 63 MPH. With my hypertech programed at level 2 I can make most highway hills at 10 psi. and still crest the hill at 55 MPH like I did with my 98 6.5l diesel set at 8 Max Turbo pressure.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #28

I have a 27' Trail Lite that weighed 5117 lbs on the scale. I tow it with a 2012 Silverado 1500 crew cab with the 5.3L V8. I couldn't tell you what the mileage is because I don't really care. I like the truck, I like the trailer, and I'm not changing either. I've come to the realization that if I want to camp in a trailer I will have to live with the mileage otherwise I'd have a tent and a hybrid car.