Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #57

My 2010 silverado with a 6.2, a 6 speed auto and 3.42:1 gets 7.7 mpg pulling a 31 footer weighing in around 8600+ driving 65-70 mph and maintaining that speed up hills

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #58

Well guys and gals, I finally upgraded! Tradaed in is the 2004 GMC Sierra Z71 extended cab w/ GCWR of only 7800 and was towing a Salem toyhauler that scaled out at 9200 W/ the 1200 lb golf cart. Bike is only 800lbs, so trailer W/ bike would have been 8800lbs. Poor truck, she did a GREAT job pulling my trailer here in the FLAT lands of Florida, but mileage was only 8 MPG at 63-64. 7 MPG at 70.
Yea, weight Police, I was overloaded, but when you find a 5 year old toyhauler in perfect condition, for only $4,000, that was stored inside for the better part of those 5 years (old room-mates father NOT a dealer), you tow it carefully and slowly with what you have - till you can afford a BIGGER tow vehicle.

New TV is - a 2006 Dodge 2500 Quad cab 4x4 Cummins powered w/ AT with only 72,500 miles. PLENTY of room to load the toyhauler up to its MAX GVWR of 11,800lbs! Not that I plan on loading it up, but now I can tow it with SOME water in the fresh water tank, and GAS in the fuel station on board! As for mileage towing, I have had it only 1 full day and only towed a 8x12 motorcycle trailer about 50 or so miles. 16.4 per on board computer display - NO hand calculated MPGs yet. Running solo, I had the on board computer up to 26.1 average trip MPG! Even if it is generous by 4 or so MPGs I'm doing alot better than the GMC gasser. Best I got with the GMC was 16.8 MPG doing 55 MPH and under on the overseas highway last weekend with the motorcycle loaded in the bed. 14.8 MPG running 72-75 MPH there and back on the turnpike and I 95 - HAND CALCULATED. Not bad for 172,500 miles on her. Wish I could have kept her in the family somehow, as she still ran perfectly!

Got to install my brake controller from the GMC into the new to me Dodge. It has never towed heavy! No goose neck, No 5ver hitch, no brake controller ever mounted! Get that done, I may tow next weekend to see just how much I upgraded.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Well guys and gals, I finally upgraded! Tradaed in is the 2004 GMC Sierra Z71 extended cab w/ GCWR of only 7800 and was towing a Salem toyhauler that scaled out at 9200 W/ the 1200 lb golf cart. Bike is only 800lbs, so trailer W/ bike would have been 8800lbs. Poor truck, she did a GREAT job pulling my trailer here in the FLAT lands of Florida, but mileage was only 8 MPG at 63-64. 7 MPG at 70.
Yea, weight Police, I was overloaded, but when you find a 5 year old toyhauler in perfect condition, for only $4,000, that was stored inside for the better part of those 5 years (old room-mates father NOT a dealer), you tow it carefully and slowly with what you have - till you can afford a BIGGER tow vehicle.

New TV is - a 2006 Dodge 2500 Quad cab 4x4 Cummins powered w/ AT with only 72,500 miles. PLENTY of room to load the toyhauler up to its MAX GVWR of 11,800lbs! Not that I plan on loading it up, but now I can tow it with SOME water in the fresh water tank, and GAS in the fuel station on board! As for mileage towing, I have had it only 1 full day and only towed a 8x12 motorcycle trailer about 50 or so miles. 16.4 per on board computer display - NO hand calculated MPGs yet. Running solo, I had the on board computer up to 26.1 average trip MPG! Even if it is generous by 4 or so MPGs I'm doing alot better than the GMC gasser. Best I got with the GMC was 16.8 MPG doing 55 MPH and under on the overseas highway last weekend with the motorcycle loaded in the bed. 14.8 MPG running 72-75 MPH there and back on the turnpike and I 95 - HAND CALCULATED. Not bad for 172,500 miles on her. Wish I could have kept her in the family somehow, as she still ran perfectly!

Got to install my brake controller from the GMC into the new to me Dodge. It has never towed heavy! No goose neck, No 5ver hitch, no brake controller ever mounted! Get that done, I may tow next weekend to see just how much I upgraded.
Congrats on your new tow vehicle. You will be amazed at the new towing power you have. I have had several of the ram with Cummins over the years and Cummins are just awesome motors. Hope you like it and be safe on the roads.
Chad
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #60

WHAT ABOUT BRAKING a 30' trailer???

I am the original poster with the 2010 Tundra pulling a 30' trailer. And I have noticed that when I brake, it seems that only the truck brakes are working and not the trailer brakes. i.e. the truck seems to SLIDE a bit when braking. What is that about??
Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #61

When was the last time you adjusted the tr ailer brakes?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug52 View Post
I am the original poster with the 2010 Tundra pulling a 30' trailer. And I have noticed that when I brake, it seems that only the truck brakes are working and not the trailer brakes. i.e. the truck seems to SLIDE a bit when braking. What is that about??
Is your brake controller showing the trailer brakes are actually functioning?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug52 View Post
Do you have an electronic brake controller installed? If so, it may need adjustment. I have a Tekonesha and when trailer is connected, I get a green light on my controller. That shows a connected circut. For my controller, I must adjust for which ever of the 2 trailers (single brake axle box trailer or 27' Toyhauler 2 brake axles) I tow as follows: parked but in nuetral, foot on brake, adjust the left wheel on the controller till it is no longer green, but not red. slightly orange - this is the sensitivity wheel. Right wheel adjusts the intesitivity the brakes come on. I start with the wheel in the middle of adjustment, using the hand slider, I roll the trailer about 4mph and apply the hand slider fully and adjust the wheel so that the brakes are close to, but NOT at lock up. Slight increases or decreases on the right wheel while towing will give better feelings of braking.
Towing 9,400 lbs with my old GMC 1500 wouldn't have been possible, and towing only 3,600 lbs with my new-to-me Dodge 2500 - I can feel the trailer brakes working. Truck stops better towing with trailer brakes!

Look up your controller on line if you don't have instructions, should be easy to find and adjust for proper braking. Also, as the brakes warm up, thay may need adjustment on the fly. Mine do occasionally, but not every trip.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #64

I'm towing a Premiere 31bhpr with my 08 Chevy 2500hd gasser
Plenty of power, handles just fine. Think I have the trailer brake controller set up just right.
Gas mileage...probably not that good. Don't really pay attention to it, have not towed it more that an hour each way. Will pay more attention when we start traveling a little farther away.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Doodlebug52

Quote:
We have a 30' Premier TT, dry weight of 5750. Additional weight will include clothing, kitchenware, TV, bathroom items, a little more for my business.

We have pulled it with 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7 liter. MPG is around 13 if we don't go too fast. Stabilizer, full tow package.
I wouldn't say 13 mpg towing is that bad....I'm happy with 12 with my Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V-8 towing 5100 lbs. I'm going to be looking at the 5.7L Tundra's when the 14's come out in a month or two...

Besides the short bed, are there any other issues that make a Tundra not a good tow vehicle and or daily driver?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #66

My rig in the signature (GVW trailer 6900) tows very well with the ecoboost and max tow pkg. Having said that I would be unlikely to tow much more than that for long periods. Cross continent run gave us 10.5 to the US gallon on average...Driving around here unloaded it gives about 18 mpg. I can pull off better on all hwy but still not much above 21 on average. It is very sensitive to head wind/ tail wind for fuel consumption both towing and empty. The engine and brakes are not being taxed at all by the load however after driving my 2004 F350 diesel for 200,000 I feel the lack of weight and much shorter wheelbase make much of the difference to the feel while towing.
I would love to say I got 14 or 15 mpg while towing but.....
Ian