Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #15

Only way I'd buy a 2WD is if I lived and only traveled in flat land that was all paved.

My last 2WD - 1988 GMC - bless it - was stuck so many times pulling either a flat bed trailer or boat that I swore off 2WD with it.

After my first 4WD, I swore off anything but a LSD.

I've been driving for over 42 years and the convenience of a 4x4 is just too good to do with out. Maybe I ought to get out and walk to some of those places I go!
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2005, 04:30 AM   #16

Our truck is a 4WD. When using it to pull the fiver I often use low range without locking the front hubs to BACK the fiver or manuver it slow speed around the yard or campsight(gives you a 2low). Backing in low range helps protects the transmission from overheating. Not having the front hubs locked allows you to be on hard pavement without binding the drive train.It is like a "granny" reverse 2WD. Normal reverse is a higher ratio than your first gear, thus putting a strain on a transmission when backing 10,000 lbs. Backing in normal range reverse builds up transmission heat fast. Our C6 transmission is going on 170,000 miles with nothing but fluid and filter changes.

Living in south Texas, we dont have a snow problem, but living on a ranch, the 4WD is indespensible in muddy pastures. Thus we need a 4WD for other things besided RVing, but it is handy for RVing. Ours will always be a 4x4. If you dont get a 4WD, at least get a limited slip rear axle. Ours is both. Our Jeep Cherokee is 2WD (no need to have two 4WD vehicles).

I get a hoot watching the new Ford superduty commercial as it drags a HUGE weight in reverse. They gotta be using low range 4WD or that would smoke the tranny. That much weight probably cooked the tranny anyway. TV commercials dont have much in common with reality.

Our current truck is a dinosaur but still in great shape mechanically and cosmetically. We are currently planning for it's replacement which will probably be a F350 diesel, crew cab, 4x4 dual wheel long bed. I'm not buying another big block gasoline engine, but will continue with the 4WD trucks.

One other thing;
If you get a 4WD do NOT get automatic locking front hubs. You cant obtain a 2low with them and they (hubs) tend to malfunction quite often. Insist on manual locking front hubs.