Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #1

Need to make a quick decision on a truck. It will be a 1 ton. The question is dually or not??
THX.
ray/wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #2

Need to make a quick decision on a truck. It will be a 1 ton. The question is dually or not??
THX.
ray/wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #3

raywen, While I am no expert on weight ect I did go with the dually as I felt it would provide for more stable towing its like having an extra set of feet on the ground. Along with that we have the BNW hitch and a Glide Ride pin box that provides for a pleasent towing experience with very little surging or side to side type movement.
What year 30'RSO do you have?

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #4

What manufacturer??? Daily driver??
On Dodge at least the SRW has a slitely higher GVWR that the dually. But the dually will be more stable pulling large/heavy loads.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pulling a 5er, a DRW will be more stable than a SRW due the extra width at the rear of the truck.

In most configurations, a DRW will have a higher GVWR and rear axle GAWR than will a SRW.

There are a lot of 5ers that can be pulled with a SRW and the pin weight will still fall within the trucks GVWR and GAWR.

For estimating purposes, the typical 5er will have a pin weight close to 20% of the trailer GVWR when loaded.

But do not go by the pay load capacity published on the truck as it is based on a base model, no cargo, no hitch, no accessories and only a 150# driver. So you will need to decrease the published payload capacity by the extra passengers, cargo, accessories and hitch.

My F350 has a GVWR of 11,500# and based on the published payload capacity, I should be able to carry a lot more than I really can. The truck scales at 8000# with full fuel, me and Ma, and the toolbox and hitch...so by rating, all I can carry is 3500#.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
450Donn,

I've seen SRW trucks with higher manufacturer's trailer tow ratings than DRW trucks. This is due to the SRW being a lighter truck and sharing a GCWR with the DRW truck. However, I don't recall any SRW trucks having higher GVWRs than DRWs. Can you cite specifics?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #7

The 2007 Dodge Ram brochure. And don't quote me on these numbers as I am not at home and the brochure is. But 6.7L/automatic/4.10 rear end ratio the towing rating for a SRW is 16,500 and the dually is 15,800. Yea, shocked me too. I would have thought my dually would have a higher rating.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
450Donn, you are confusing towing capacity and payload capacity. A DRW will have a lower towing capacity than a SRW because the dually will weigh more with the extra wheels and fenders. This is based on the trucks GCWR (gross combined weight rating) less the weight of the truck.

With a 5er, the hitch weight is a big factor since it can be 20% (or higher) of the trailers GVWR.

A DRW will be able co carry more weight on the truck since it has a heavier axle, 4 tires in the rear and heavier springs. A SRW will tow more since it weighs less, but it can not carry as much as a DRW. With a 5er, the pin weight is close to double that of a travel trailer.

You have to read the small print and footnotes on towing a 5er.

Check out THIS site for weight info.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
In a 5th wheel application, the SRW truck will typically exceed its GVWR long before the manufacturer's trailer tow rating (which is what you're quoting) is reached. In the real world, the DRW truck can handle a larger 5th wheel because of its higher GVWR/rear axle GAWR.

Rusty
Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #10

I think that is what I said.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
I think that is what I said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
On Dodge at least the SRW has a slitely higher GVWR that the dually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SRW, as Ken and I have noted, does not have a higher GVWR than the DRW. It has a higher manufacturer's trailer towing rating. This is a prime example of why the manufacturer's trailer towing rating is often misleading, especially in 5th wheel applications.

Rusty