Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
350 class SRW truck with the best 5th wheel tow capacity

I have a 39 foot 5th wheel that has a loaded rating of 15,700lbs. I do not want a DRW. Do any of the big three have the umpff to tow this for short weekend trips?

I am looking in the 2008-2010 year range.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

A Ford 6.4L SRW will be within that range but I think you might be pushing it. Especially if you are loaded with gear. Might have to spend time at the scales.
http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towin...RDUTYsep09.pdf

Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
PDL

Ford SRW vs. DRW

I have a Ford F350 Dually (2010, 6.4L) towing a 16500# Montana 5th wheel and it pulls fantastic. I would not want to pull a heavy, long 5th wheel without the dually. Stability is the main reason. An SRW will pull a large 5th wheel but the dually makes a great deal of difference on a windy day. I also added Airlift 5000 Wireless airbags to the suspension. That make a huge difference in raising the the rear end and putting some of the weight back on the front axle. Handling is improved.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Must ask.
Why do you not want a DRW?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do not want a dually, look for a trailer within your GVWR rating. The loaded pin weight on your trailer will be about 3000# plus or minus.. Sure you see folks pulling trailers of that size with SRW trucks and do not know they are overloaded. Run the numbers and see if you are comfortable towing over loaded.

Ken
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Looking at Fleet Fords specs sheet shows a '10 F350 SRW 11200 GVWR and 7000 RAWR crew cab 2wd with the diesel has a 38xx payload.
The big V10 gasser has a 4250 lb payload and is a strong towing engine.

From your scale 12xxx lb gross weights and a 36xx CCC numbers from your thread on another website the truck will handle that size trailer fine.

Ford has over a dozen different GVWRs and three different RAWRs so do your home work for the truck with the most payload potential.

Ford uses the same frame/front and rear axles/drive train/brakes. To get the higher GVWRs/RAWRs they use higher rated tires/wheels and a heavier rear spring pack. You can upgrade those items and have the same load carrying ability. Or find a truck from Ford with them as OEM. Thats gonna' be your biggest issue. Good luck
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
I have a 39 foot 5th wheel that has a loaded rating of 15,700lbs. I do not want a DRW. Do any of the big three have the umpff to tow this for short weekend trips?

I am looking in the 2008-2010 year range.
Ours is same size and tow it with F250 long box. F250 is rated for 23500 GCWR.
New 14 Ram 2500 is rated for 17400lbs trailer.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #8

They have the "umpff", but not all of them have the ratings.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
"Manufacturer's trailer tow rating" probably isn't going to be your limiting factor, rather, the lower GVWR of a SRW truck will most likely max out the pin weight the truck can carry before you reach the truck's GCWR.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Ours is same size and tow it with F250 long box. F250 is rated for 23500 GCWR.
New 14 Ram 2500 is rated for 17400lbs trailer.
You cannot go by the inflated manufacturers tow ratings. Read ALL of the footnotes under the rating blurb....based on a base model truck, a single 150# driver, no other cargo, passengers and not even a hitch. Also notes that none of the ratings are to be exceeded...GVWR, GCWR and axle GAWR.

As Rusty noted, any SRW truck will most likely exceed the GVWR long before it reaches GCWR.

You have to understand the tow ratings and do your home work as the manufacturers tend to stretch the truth a bit.

Ken
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Must ask.
Why do you not want a DRW?
Why? Well, 80% of the truck time will be used for going to Home Depot and running errands. We are seasonal campers and would use the truck for the two hours drive over non-hilly areas to get the FW to the campsite in the spring, and then back in the fall. I already have a truck, (Nissan Frontier), and will be trading this in for a larger truck. I don't want to lose the drivability for regular tasks.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #12

My F350 dually is my daily driver, 90 miles round trip a day. I had a rear tire go down on the truck with my Big Horn in tow (16K gross) I am sure glad I had that extra tire. Once you start driving a dually, you get used to the size, and you'll be glad you bought it. My Daughter wil drive it, but wouldn't drive my 1/2 ton.
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #13

Find or make a friend with someone that can tow it to and from the campground 1 time per year. Give him $100 or so and he will be happy plus you can keep the Frontier.

I would not buy a bigger truck just to move a 5th wheel twice a year.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our F350 DRW is a daily driver and has been for some time. Only real problems are drive through lanes are for cars, not DRW. The biggest problem comes from the long wheel base of the crewcab and the poor turning radius.

Ken