Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #15

As far as mileage goes the only thing I have noticed is that if I drive longer distances between fill ups I take more fuel. I never check mileage because I don't want to be disappointed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Just an FYI the Aisin transmission is a true medium duty transmission.
Time will tell but I know they make some rather weak transmissions also. There has been failures in Dodges also with Aisin. Not a lot by any means but failures just the same.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Time will tell but I know they make some rather weak transmissions also. There has been failures in Dodges also with Aisin. Not a lot by any means but failures just the same.
Only two that I know of and it sounded like the same problem with a casting defect causing fluid loss. They had both rigs back on the road in a couple days with brand new transmissions.

I spoke directly to Stan Gozzi about the Aisin he is Chryslers West Coast head warranty rep. When asked how they have held up his comment was "they don't break". I will have to give him a bad time when I see him in May, they don't break but they do leak! The Aisin was designed to be used in Medium duty Trucks and has been in service since 07.5 in the RAM 4500/5500 Cab & Chassis trucks.

My 68RFE has been flawless in 55K. But I won't get to see how it does over the really long haul since I have a 15 on order with the Aisin.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #18

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
The break in note is in the diesel supplement owners manual. It does state, do not tow for the 1st 500 miles. I hooked up our 16k 5er within the 1st 5 miles of ownership, and haven't stopped. 14K on it now, and we full time. I did change the rear diff fluid at 10K though.
Just curious...what led you to changing the diff juice at 10k?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post

Probably internet pressure.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post

I changed both my front and rear differentials along with the transmission fluid and filters at 14,000 miles on my truck. Boy was I glad I did that a lot of casting debris and slight wear in material (metal particles) were lying on the bottom of both pumpkins. This was done because I installed Mag-Hytec deep dish Al oil pan on the transmission and two MAG-Hytec AL extra capacity differential covers on the front and rear axle housing.

When towing my axle temps never go above 145F and the transmission sump temp is normally around 180F. Cool oil leads to longer service life of the components no oil break down due to heat.

As far as the Cummins engine break-in procedure there is none per the the Ram Truck Diesel supplement on page 6 of the book. An I quote " The Cummins 24-Valve Turbo Diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed provided the following recommendations are followed." End Quote

The 500 mile break-in procedure is for the rear differential to allow the teeth to mess correctly this is stated in the regular owners manual in full detail.

Jim W.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I changed both my front and rear differentials along with the transmission fluid and filters at 14,000 miles on my truck. Boy was I glad I did that a lot of casting debris and slight wear in material (metal particles) were lying on the bottom of both pumpkins. This was done because I installed Mag-Hytec deep dish Al oil pan on the transmission and two MAG-Hytec AL extra capacity differential covers on the front and rear axle housing.

When towing my axle temps never go above 145F and the transmission sump temp is normally around 180F. Cool oil leads to longer service life of the components no oil break down due to heat.

As far as the Cummins engine break-in procedure there is none per the the Ram Truck Diesel supplement on page 6 of the book. An I quote " The Cummins 24-Valve Turbo Diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed provided the following recommendations are followed." End Quote

The 500 mile break-in procedure is for the rear differential to allow the teeth to mess correctly this is stated in the regular owners manual in full detail.

Jim W.
Did exactly the same as you only at 5K or so and no front MagHytec. I drained the rear diff with 45K and it came out golden clear. AMZ/OIL 75-110 Severe Gear.

I wanted to get rid of initial wear metals.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Probably internet pressure.
Interweb pressure, yeah right. More like common sense. 10,000 miles in 3 months under constant heavy load. Be nice to your equipment. :-)
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #23

Seriously though, since were full-timing with no house to run home to, I take preventative maintenance to the next level. Does it cost more? Of course. Do I sleep better? Yes. If I break down, I will know ir wasn't due to lack of maintenance. I change my fuel filters at 10k instead of 15 k also. Overkill? No doubt. Its my money right?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Seriously though, since were full-timing with no house to run home to, I take preventative maintenance to the next level. Does it cost more? Of course. Do I sleep better? Yes. If I break down, I will know ir wasn't due to lack of maintenance. I change my fuel filters at 10k instead of 15 k also. Overkill? No doubt. Its my money right?
I always overkill everything. It has served me well over the years.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #25

It's a sickness I know, but thats how it is with me. Dang military training anyway! :-)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

Jim W.
I think this is a load of BS from Dodge (or any manufacturer). I am a trained machinist, and while I have zero practical experience due to the high numbers of other 45 year old machinists that have decades of experience also looking for work in the part of the world I live in, I know it should not take 500 miles to "break in" any diff gears. They will either work "right out of the box", or they won't.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #27

I towed with my new Ram within minutes of driving off the lot. No problems so far. I guess their just covering their butts.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I guess their just covering their butts.
I suppose, but from what I don't know.

Quite some years back, the folks I drove a big rig for handed me the keys to a brand new tractor. It had a 450hp (capable of much more) Cummins engine in it. I asked them how they wanted me to break it in. They said by turning miles with whatever loads they gave me, and their only warning was not to let the engine run too far above the governor, which was set at 1900rpm, using the engine brake. I'd let the engine run up to around 2100-2200 on a long descent. Put around 100K miles on it before I left it, and never any trouble.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but making gears is making gears. They're either made correctly, or they aren't. Now I'm curious what kinds of tolerances are allowed and heat treatments applied, and how I could find out, but that's probably proprietary info.