Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #15

Actually the 3500 DRW 4x4 crew cab Dodge/Cummins 4x4 169" w/b has more payload capacity than the 2wd when you look at '11 Dodge Body Builders Guide. Both have those big 9350 RAWR for carrying just about any pin weight out there from a RV.

A 4wd truck is nice to have if you need one but isn't necessary. However if you want more payload/a bigger tow rating and a higher GCWR you may have to get a 4x4 with the 12300 GVWR package with a 27000 GCWR and a 19000 lb tow rating.
The std cab has a 30000 lb GCWR and a 22700 lb tow rating.

I would check with a well estabilished Dodge 'truck' dealer fleet/commercial sales folks for their input on which package will offer you the higher rating in 2wd and 4wd.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #16

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Get what you think you need. Although I rarely use 4X4 during towing, I'm glad I had it, twice. But I have 4X4 for other reasons as well. I occasionally go off roading and 4X4 is nice to have.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #17

A lot of the mules pulling new trailers from the factories are 2WD DRW standard cabs. If all the OP plans to do with the TV is tow a trailer on the asphalt, he can get by without 4WD. But it would be interesting to hear which one holds their resale value better.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #18

4WD or 2WD is probably negligible for towing to standard RV parks and such.

For me, having 4WD or 2WD is all about what I do with the truck outside of towing. I have pulled more stuck 2WDs out of the sand near where I live than I care to count.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #19

I vote for 4wd. I have used it a couple times with the trailer, the added insurance is priceless. We were at the Escapees rally in Sedalia Mo at the fairgounds parked on grass. This was 3 yrs ago they got 5 inches of rain. I pulled out a couple trucks with their trailers. The 4wd was worth the money.
Just my $ .02
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All boils down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE and intended usage.

4WD was most helpful to us when we off-roaded without the 5er, came in very handy with the LANCE Slide-in as we off-roaded with it. What a hoot to be able to camp streamside and get those early morning brookies while havin fresh coffee and havin a bathroom close by !

If you are counting on max mileage and worried about couple hundred dollars a year maintenance then probably you should consider stayin on the porch with the old dogs... lol and leave the 4WD to the yung pupz !

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it on a daily basis !
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #21

I agree with MegaRoadie. It is personal preference, and what else you are going to do. In my case I work facilities and am only exempt from getting to work if the state closes the roads. I also have to back my 5er up hill to park it in the yard, which would not happen with a 2wd if there is any moisture on the ground, and I grew up working my summers on the family farm.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #22

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Oh, I just remembered. About 4 years ago, I was towing a horse trailer with 4 horses up hill on a freshly graded dirt road in Tehachapi, CA. About the a third of the way up, the rear wheels started spinning on the loose gravel. Turned the knob to 4X4 and problem solved.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #23

I went with 2wd. Lower truck height was our factor.

I never go off road or dirt roads anymore I've drove 2wd pickups all my life, So far I haven't got stuck yet (knock on wood ) I do prefer limited slip rear ends.
hacksaw1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #24

What did you end up getting. Also good luck with it.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I had a Chevy 2500 2wd and when it came time to trade or sell nobody wanted it around here. It was just as high as the 2500 4wd that I now have. I did have to spend $300 to have a front wheel bearing replaced a few weeks ago. The wheel bearing and a set of glow plugs is the only trouble in 77K miles. The glow plugs were replace under warranty.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #26

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
All boils down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE and intended usage.
This is my vote.

I have owned one two wheel drive truck, and never again. The low range can be used when backing up on an incline, and the truck will just idle and push the trailer. Won't heat up the tranny. We have camped at a place that was all grass sites, and after a heavy rain, I was hooking up to trailers and pulling them out for people with two wheel drive trucks.

Once again, personal preference is the order of the day. My first 4X4 was a 1972 1210 International pick-up. My only 2 wheel drive truck was a 1994 GMC.

Good Luck and safe travels on what ever you pick out.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #27

IMHO, 4wd is not necessary. However, I'd double check your numbers. That DRV is pushing 17k, and exceeds the capacity for my old 07 Chevy Duramax dually crew cab.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I have a dually 1 ton and I used to use for work too. It is the worst fwd I have ever owned when it comes to snow. I wound up getting a Dodge nitro so I could get thru the snow. I never needed the fwd with the 5er so I would never invest in a dually with fwd again. Rear wheel drive is fine for a 5er--you have over a ton over the duallys when towing so I don't really think the front drive wheels would be of very little use.

Tags
towing