Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
40' Bumper Pull Towing Question

I posted in the newbie area a few days ago and received a lot of help. Thank you to everyone that gave me advice. That advice has brought me here. I decided to take my specific towing question here for part 2 of my first RV journey because this section seems to be tailored for it. I think my trailer is out of the ordinary because it is a 40' bumper pool and most trailers this big are either park models not meant to be moved a bunch or 5th wheels. My question is related to how much vehicle will I need to tow this safely and has anyone out there ever attempted it. The total weight of the trailer is a little over 14K and I would like to be able to move 15-16K as the average weight with everything I would like to put inside including water etc...

Other thoughts - is there a chart/link somewhere online that explains the capabilities of all the different vehicles and different years out there? My budget for the tow vehicle is around 20K. It doesn't need to be fancy, just able to haul my family of six (so i need crew cab) and the trailer. If you read my earlier post you know that i currently own a 2003 excursion with the 7.3 and a Trailer Toad. I thought that would be enough but I also thought my trailer was going to weigh less than 10K.

I come to you here because my time is limited. I am here in California with my family and I need to get back to Texas in less than a week or so. I need a lot of advice in a hurry.

My beliefs (please help me fix them if needed) - this is going to need an F-550 or equivalent vehicle. There is not much difference in insurance between an F-550 and an F-350 and the MPG is about 25% different. If I am correct, where is the best place to buy an F-550 other than craigslist?

If it seems like I am asking extremely naive questions its because I am very new to most parts of this and if anything i said adds up its because I just learned it or its a good guess.

Thanks for the help!!

2003mistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
I'm not the most knowable about towing but I think you're going to have trouble finding a hitch, shank, and ball capable of handling that kind of weight on a bumper pull. The heaviest I've seen has a limit of 12K. Your capacity is limited be the weakest component. If you haven't already, I'd make sure you can get all the hitch components you need before deciding on tow vehicle.

2012 Dodge C3500 DRW 4x4
2012 Keystone Montana 3100RL
drdarrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree, you need a hitch first. If you will always use the Trailer Toad, you don't have to worry about the hitch weight capacity, just the maximum gross trailer weight rating.

Extra Heavy Duty Weight Distribution Hitches (up to about 20K pounds towing weight): Extra Heavy Duty Weight Distribution | etrailer.com
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Trailer toad

Are you planning on using your trailer toad to attach the trailer to the tow vehicle?
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
My 2011 GMC dually was rated to tow 17k and 2500lb hitch weight for a bumper pull trailer. I have a shank that is rated 15k so the equip is out there that you need.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
A dually would be advisable. You will have considerable tongue weight. A great hitch setup- no good or better, but the best you can get would also be recommended. Sway control will be an issue. That much trailer will move the tow vehicle if it's allowed too.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 15,000 hitch and ball on my 450. Most auto stores have the balls and can order the hitch.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
Minimum of a 1 ton dually. Look for an aftermarket hitch. I hope your TT is 40' from ball to bumper. Duallys will be around 22' long. Add 40' and that's 62'. Here in Oregon the limit is 65' IIRC. Something to think about. Not sure where you live. All states are different.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know the hitch and ball are available for 15,000#'s as our MH is rated for that and some MH's now are rated for 20,000#'s towing.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #10

The trailer toad is going to take care of tongue weight, so you just have to find a vehicle that has a GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating greater than (weight of tow vehicle+family and cargo+Gross trailer weight)=X where X is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of probably 25000 lbs for a diesel truck and your combo. I mean 16K trailer+ TrailerToad+ tow vehicle=? when you can get that number narrowed down you can than choose appropriate tow vehicles. newer trucks are going upwards of 37K for GCWR depending on equipment, but going to be outside of that $20K vehicle budget.

Just my thoughts, YMMV
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
Hire someone in ca. to pull it to texas for you.
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
My trailer is 36'11" 9200lbs and I tow it with NO issues with an 06 2500 mega cab 5.9 cummins. I'd easily go heavier with this combo maybe 12k which is my limit due to the receiver rating on my truck. The class V hitches are rated for 17k I believe so couple that with a dually and you're set. My equalizer 4pt is rated at 14000lbs and so is the shank with ball. I think you're excursion could pull it if you upgraded the hitch, installed sway bars, and upgraded tires. However a dually of course would be ultimate and when you're tired of towing a TT that long like I am you can move to a 5th wheel lol
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by 2003mistake View Post
The total weight of the trailer is a little over 14K and I would like to be able to move 15-16K as the average weight with everything I would like to put inside including water etc...

... If you read my earlier post you know that i currently own a 2003 excursion with the 7.3 and a Trailer Toad. ...

My beliefs (please help me fix them if needed) - this is going to need an F-550 or equivalent vehicle.
16k trailer plus 8k tow vehicle is GCW of 24k. Your X-car has GCWR of 20k, So you'll probably struggle up the passes in Arizona. But your X-Car can probably make it if you take I-10 until you're well within Texas. To make it more painless, you also need to:

1. Install a tranny temp gauge, and watch it like a hawk when cruising at less than about 60 MPH. Never allow more than 225 F. tranny temp. No problem at highway speeds, but when you slow down less air goes through the heat exchangers and tranny temps can soar.

After you are settled in Texas, then spend some time and money to beef up your X-Car to give it more towing capability.

2. Replace your stock oil-to-air tranny cooler with one from a 6.0L diesel, and after that not much more worry about tranny temps.

3. Install a DP-Tuner multi-position chip with 60-tow tune as well as 80-economy tune plus the best stock tune available. I'd also add the decel tune (exhaust brake) if you don't already have a good exhaust brake.
F5 1-16 Position Switch on the fly Chip - Chips - Chips, Programmers and Tuning - 2000 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Excursion - Ford Powerstroke

The above link is what I would choose today. But they have lots of options. Talk to Diane about what would be best for your wants and needs.
Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

If you really don't want to put more money into your X-Car, then trade it for a 2011-up F-450 pickup. GCWR is 33,000 pounds, and tow rating is 16,000. The tow rating is limited by the weight capacity of the receiver. Note the tow rating of a 5er, and that is the real max trailer weight you can tow with your powertrain if your receiver hitch were not your limiter. If you can find a stronger receiver, then you can pump up the tow rating to the max of the receiver, or up to over 23,000 pounds gross tag trailer weight. But the 16k tow rating with the stock receiver is about perfect for what you want to tow. So ignore the F-550 chassis cab and look at 2011-up F-450 pickups.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
wow, I love this forum!!! I have been out all day doing research and feel much better after coming back here and you guys confirming a lot of what I have learned. One piece of good news is that the empty weight of the trailer is actually 13k instead of the 14K like I thought....that makes the 350 a good option if I keep the "other" weight to a minimum. I still think it makes sense to go the 450 route as some of you have suggested to make sure my family is extra safe on the highways. We have fallen in love with the trailer after living in it for a week at Canyon RV park. This park is really cool and very friendly like you guys. Thanks for all the info, I just wanted to leave a quick note that I will be re-reading all of your posts and spending more time researching and processing your thoughts. Thanks and God Bless!!

2003mistake is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing