Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
Thanks for all your posts!

Scottie lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
In thinking about length, if semi's are driving the road then you can since most of them are tugging 53'

Bob & Dianne
2014 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW Duramax
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
To me, the main concern is stopping. Trailer brakes generally run really hot in the mountains and can quickly fade. Make sure you have more braking power than your total weight. A PAC brake is excellent, relatively inexpensive insurance.
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Big5 is right; most of us can maintain 85+MPH going up hill, but I bet you can probably go downhill faster than me too.

With a 2015, you're going to be set for power and stopping with the built in turbo brake feature.

I would think, but just guessing, that a 450 will have a higher GVWR than a 3500, just by those numbers alone, but not sure.

And as another said, length is nice, but what about weight?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Try auto turbo brake. I use it on my rig and it's awesome, just tap the brake pedal and it keeps the rig at a constant speed downhill. I didn't realize how great it was until I used it the first time.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali
2014 Voltage 3970 Epic III
MarksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
Just test drove a 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Cummins/Aisin. I too like the idea of the auto exhaust brake holding you at the set speed all the way down the hill. We'll look at the 2015 Ford when it comes out, but were pretty impressed with the Ram. We are looking at a 36-38' fifth wheel with a GVWR of 18500. Should be able to take those hills and twistys nicely.

Fulltimer Class of Late 2015, with my bride, Lori.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
Just test drove a 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Cummins/Aisin.

Either truck should do a good job for you. The new Ford will have a "real" exhaust brake that is supposed to work quite well. We will see....

The Dodge still has a better rear axle rating than what Ford is publishing for the 2015 450. I'm not sure what Ford is thinking but they have effectively killed the upper end of the market for themselves. And they certainly do not have "bragging rights" to 5th wheel hauling, no matter what the say the GCWR is, since they cannot handle a heavy 5er pin weight.

I'm a Ford guy all the way, but if I had to choose a heavy hauler form the pickup world TODAY, it would not be the Ford, but the Dodge.

The rumor is that Ford is going to up the rear axle rating. I hope so....
Jack and Danielle Mayer
2015 New Horizons Majestic 44RLTSS/ Volvo 780
Jack Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
Forest River Owners Club
We tow our 38 foot triple slide toy hauler fifth wheel with a Freightliner FL-60 four door cab, we looked at some others 450-650 owners trucks, and like our old Dodge they all looked so small under those 40 foot fifth wheels, I took a ride in a friends Freightliner and once I sat in those air ride seats I was sold on the idea of moving up to the MDT world, plus you dont see as many of them, men of all ages stop and stare when we go by, lol
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Scottie lady View Post
I'm not really worried about the truck....more interested in the length of trailer...or does it really matter ?! Would there be much difference in pulling a 38-40' as to a 40-42' on the mountain highway passes?
I have a Chevy Duramax dually, we towed our 40', 15,500lb. 5er anywhere we wanted to go in the West, up any mountain grade, to Alaska and back, and never encountered a grade that caused us to slow to an unreasonable speed. The truck you choose should be operating at 80% or less of capacity for longevity.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel