Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll be getting 4wd mainly because of my planned uses of the tow vehicle when I am *not* towing. The TV will be my only car and working out in the woods might not really ever require 4wd, except for that one time I will really need it.

Pulled a big rig onto level asphalt a few years back. The driver had pulled off the road surface and the suspension system of the tractor had something to do with not allowing the drive axle to sit right on the ground, and all the power was going to the wheel that had zero traction, it was in the air. The tractor wasn't equipped with a locking differential of any kind, so he was stuck. I hooked chain up to the tow hook on the front of the tractor, the pintle hook I had on the pickup, put it in 4wd low, and pulled the tractor and trailer back onto the pavement. Everyone was amazed except for me.

1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
4wd or 2wd

4wd is great when you need it. When you don't need it it's just weight to burn up gas and complicated bits to break. I drive a Taco 4x4, but I live in Colorado (snow) and do a fair amount of serious off-roading so mine gets a workout.

In general you'll get less mileage and a harsher ride than a 2x. Tires will be more expensive too. Using true 4wd effectively takes training and practice. It's not something you just go do.

Also note there is world of difference between all wheel drive (AWD) found in most car chassis SUVs and true 4wd found in most 4x4 trucks, Jeeps, etcetera.

I've never understood "garage queen" 4x's, but to each his own!

Goof luck whatever you decide.

groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
Although I rely on my vehicle to get me to work and back in bad weather, (or to the store), I once owned a 94 Dodge pickup, diesel, one wheel drive... I parked it on the grass yard at the time,,, VERY small incline to get to the street,,, wet grass, wouldn't move an inch.... I will always own a 4x4... You never know when you will need it.... Even if I lived in AZ, I'd still have a 4x4.... My opinion....
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many feel that the 4wd is built more rugged,, ME, I do not know, nor do I have an opinion, but I can see the logic.

This I do know... When in college one of my instructors (Biology) had six vehicles, 4 of which were JEEPS, he said if he had to give up one or two He would hang on to the jeeps.

True story, He shared an office with my Physics professor.. Fellow students are there begging him to cancel the afternoon lab class.. he declined,, I looked at 'em and said "Gee, I made it in here at 7:30 same as always" they reminded me I walked so the icy roads and down trees did not bother me (True). I mentioned Mr. Thompson (The Bio instructor) and they speculated he lived nearby as well.. Well I've been to his house, over an hour away on a good day. Well he must live right on the main road.. NO, the F-350 I was in when I went that way .. The trees on the side of the road were slapping the rear view mirrors, both of them, at the same time.. Gravel road too.

Finally i said "When the going got rough he just moved that lever from 2WD to 4WD and kept on Jeeping.. (Poor Mr. Thompson could no longer contain his laughter) Actually, he was all the way into the city, on the main drag, before he had to do that. But hey.. Fun story. Good times back then.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
4wd or 2wd?

...I don't plan on going off road or driving in snow etc...
Clueless1: It doesn't sound like you would ever need the grit that 4wd could offer. If there are no non-lifestyle reasons (better price, selection of other options, resale value, etc) to go with the 4wd model, then I'd stay with with 2wd.

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
Only you can determine if you need a 4wd vehicle.

I own both and have always had both as each has its job to do so I won't blow hot air around and bash whatever other folks use or why they drive what they drive.
I pull heavy loads out of pastures and muddy work sites so a 2wd simply won't get the job done.

If you choose a 2wd or 4wd truck be sure and get the factory limited slip/anti spin/locking diff (or what ever its called) option. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a new one ton truck sitting on a boat ramp with one tire spinning uselessly. Or the same truck sitting in green grass and can't get going with one tire just sitting there..

The 4wd truck sells much better than a 2wd truck around here anyway.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
My Father had a excavating business for app. 50 years(brother still running it) and he always owned Datsun/Nissan 2 wheel drive trucks, little trucks, all the area contractor's use to laugh/fun with him cause he did not have a big 4 wheel drive truck for his business with a fuel tank in the back........My Father would watch the other's get stuck, mud all over their trucks all the time, repair bills from using them in the mud and the needed 4 wheel drive to get to their equipment "on" the job site............etc.
When my Fathers equipment needed fuel or anything.......he just drove the equipment through the mud on the job site to the dry land where the 2 wheel drive truck was sitting with the fuel in the back........His truck was always clean......not to many repair bills from his business use of it........
I have 2, 4 wheel drive autos today, do I "need" them, not very often............
My Motorcoach is 2 wheel drive, Never had a problem as of yet, have seen photo's of them stuck though...........Lots of rain, wet grass, mud, most anything will have a problem..........
Yup - I have seen the same thing a few times.

I managed a road network of approximately 1200 miles for a number of years. Primary, collector, secondary and local roads. Except for a farmer who worked part time all of the snow plow truck drivers used a two wheel drive to get to the snow plow shed.

The 450 is 4 wheel drive. I bought it to be able to go skiing when the road was closed to all but 4 wheel and chains. I have never had the need to use 4 wheel to park the trailer. I expect it may give you better throttle control for those really fine parking maneuvers though.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #22
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You dont need a 4x4 for RVing. Dealers sell a lot of 4x4's to manly wannabes and their 4x4's never leave the pavement but they feel manly driving it. Not worth the money if you don't need it.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
You dont need a 4x4 for RVing. Dealers sell a lot of 4x4's to manly wannabes and their 4x4's never leave the pavement but they feel manly driving it. Not worth the money if you don't need it.
IMO everyone spends their money in a manner they choose. Why not buy it if you can afford it and you want it. I often ask myself "Am I worth it?"

Many times the purchase is rationalized by we 'need it' possibly to get it by the DW. I have a motorcycle with many safety chrome accessories on it. LOL
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Most don't need power windows and door locks, power sliding rear windows, heated and cooled seats, NAV, power sliding moon roofs, leather seats, Crew cabs, etc. etc.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #25
I've only towed a FW with a 4wd truck. Interestingly, while discussing buying a new truck for my new FW, the RV sales manager told me to get a 2wd (we're in FL now) because "they tow better." He never really answered my question as to why, so perhaps he's full of it. He also told me I didn't need a 4wd on our FL boat ramps as they are generally flatter and less slick than ones up north. Perhaps he's right about that as I've never had to engage 4wd to get the boat out here. On the other hand, I don't ever recall having to engage 4wd on any boat ramp anywhere. I opted to buy a 4wd.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #26
Where you live and where you travel mean a lot. A 4WD in an urban snow is pretty useless, given the blocked roads. As noted earlier, wet grass, sand, steep slopes and snow all suggest 4WD. The anti-spin rear end is crucial, no matter what else you decide. Braking or coasting, the 4WD does not make a difference. It greatly improves steering control in slippery conditions with slight application of power.

We travel to and from Alaska annually, May to late August or September. We have bee snowed on in various parts of Canada in May regularly, and all of the route thru Canada is a lot of up and down, sow 4WD has been used on the highway at much reduced speeds while towing. Have found the same applies to and from Arizona in the winter.

For diesel trucks, 60% of the weight is on the front when empty, so that can make a difference. Also, a lot of boat ramps in the west are steep enough to step on your tongue walking up them. It is all about the terrain.

When we lived in the urban east, it was 2WD with limited slip. In the west and towing long distances in uncertain weather, it is 4WD and limited slip.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #27
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just bought a new truck and considered 2WD because I don't plan on going off road with it. But got the 4x4 anyway. Reasons: When traveling you never know when you might need 4x4. There is no MPG loss with the Ram CAD on the ft axle. With coil springs all around, the ride on the 2500 is as good as many 2wd trucks. The 4x4 helps my self image (kidding). But the big one is, that when it's time to sell, if someone is looking for a used truck they will not be turned off if it's 4x4, even if they only need 2wd but will walk away from a 2wd if they need 4x4. A loaded Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie in 2wd would not be the best idea.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 AM   #28
Never seen anywhere I needed 2x... Sure can't say that about 4x.

38 years driving, have had a 4x 30+ years of that, only way I'd bring a pickup home for last 25. Always at least one in my garage.

2011 F-250 Sooper Dooty 4x4 "Menthol"
2010 Sunset Creek 267 RL "Not Far"
(Not far sale, not far lease, not far rent, not far loan and not far from home)
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote