Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
4WD comes in handy in many cases, such as wet highways where you may hydroplane...
What on earth does 4wd have to do with hydroplaning other than a false sense of security??
By definition, your tires have lost contact with the road. The only way to help hydroplaning is to slow down and get better tires.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #30

My guess is 4wd is for after hydroplaning. If the vehicle is still upright, sometimes they can be driven back onto the road
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #31

4X4 may not be a necessity, but it sure is nice to have when you need it. I use it when backing into steep site, on the boat ramp, and going in/out of by gate (I have to drive on the grass, and it keeps me from tearing it up. I have also used it to pull out stuck 2wd (and 4x4) vehicles.
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I lost a wheel bearing on my TT once. They sent out a tilting huge flatbed truck and trailer to transport it. The guy was going to winch it on the trailer and that would have wiped out my tongue jack. I backed the trailer up on the trailer but due to the steep angle I needed 4x4 low for the traction, even on pavement. The truck driver was impressed. You never know when.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #33

These are all fascinating anecdotes and certainly have merit, but mostly once-in-a-blue-moon situations compared to the ever-day advantages, safety and cost savings of a 2wd.
Given the normal use scenario in the original post, there is no justification for 4wd.

Don't get me wrong, I like 4x4 and have owned Jeeps and trucks with it. But for long distance towing and daily driving...no way. I was originally worried about getting stuck with my 2x4 so I bought a heavy tow/recovery strap. The only thing I've ever used it for was pulling a 4x4 out of a ditch and skidding logs with my tractor.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll take 4wd over 2wd anymore these days.

2wd, I've also been stuck on grass on a slight incline. Been stuck on river rocks. Road with my dad when it took a while to crest a one way road 1/8 mile hill that had been dusted with snow.

4wd, stuck in deep snow once and have used it to get me out of numerous other situation.

FWIW, I'd rather have it and not need it, then not have it and now need.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Given the situation for the OP (and myself), I am very happy with a 2wd.
There are SO many advantages to a 2wd 99% of the time.
Most have already been listed, but:
-lower cost to buy, own, maintain
-Lower stance = lower center of gravity for added safety, better aerodynamics and fuel economy
-easier to get in/out
-smaller blind spots
-higher payload
-better ride quality
-less road spray and debris hitting your trailer

BUT, I would insist that any 2WD truck has a limited slip rear diff. Most 2500/3500 have these as standard. On a 1500, you must make sure it's a checked option.

Keep in mind that a 4WD with open differentials only drives 2 wheels (one front and one rear). So a 2wd with limited slip or locking rear essentially has the same traction less the weight of the engine. But when towing or with any weight in the bed, you may actually have better traction.
And if you like to do powerslides without the one-tire-fryer, you'll also be happy. LOL

The new 4 X 4 trucks have a button you pull that will lock the rear wheels. Thus you have both rears & one front pulling. Makes a big difference.

My vote is 4 x 4 even if you only use it once a year. Well worth it!!

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #36

I didn't read the responses but most people don't need a 4 wheel drive. At most 10% go off road. To buy for resale doesn't make sense to me. Get 2 wheel drive with an electronically locking rear axle. That's what you need. 4 wheel costs more initially, more maintenance and costs and rougher ride. If those appeal to you then that would be the right choice. You don't need to prove to others that you are a real man by driving a 4 wheel to Starbuck's.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
I'll take 4wd over 2wd anymore these days.

2wd, I've also been stuck on grass on a slight incline. Been stuck on river rocks. Road with my dad when it took a while to crest a one way road 1/8 mile hill that had been dusted with snow.

4wd, stuck in deep snow once and have used it to get me out of numerous other situation.

FWIW, I'd rather have it and not need it, then not have it and now need.

Rich
Same here!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #38

For fun we have a 4wd 800cc rzr that I refer to as a go cart for the elderly. It reminds me of driving a CJ3A.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
For fun we have a 4wd 800cc rzr that I refer to as a go cart for the elderly. It reminds me of driving a CJ3A.
I have a rzr as well. We go to Hatfield Mccoy trails in west Virginia and ride. It's the ultimate go anywhere 4x4.
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #40

We have put 2600 miles on the rzr sightseeing the High Sierras and Nevada. Good times.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
We have put 2600 miles on the rzr sightseeing the High Sierras and Nevada. Good times.
I'm jealous. I've heard that there is some great riding out your way. I'm in North Carolina and it's a long trip. My WV buddies talked of getting a trip together to go to Colorado for a few days rides but that was a couple years ago when fuel was higher. Was gonna cost more than everyone wanted to spend. I think mine has about 2000 miles. Lots of fun.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
My vote is 4 x 4 even if you only use it once a year. Well worth it!!
Plus youre not likely hear anybody say, "if I had 2 wheel drive, I could get my truck out an we wouldn't be in this situation."
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote