Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #71

I've read all the pro's and cons here, and even gave you my $0.2 worth.

Yesterday we pulled into Del Mar Beach rv park at Camp Pendleton, Ca, and the main drive through the park is paved and covered in sand. Now thats not a problem, but to get to our site that was on a hill and a little steep, and very tight turn. Thinking ahead, I put into 4 high. Glad I did. The 4wd was pulling the front end up that hill. No way could I have got up there that easy. When your pulling 17k up a sandy incline with deep sand on one side and you cant just go fast, its the only way to go. I knew that turn would be hard in 2wd, and I figured it would be doable in 4wd. I could have backed in, but I figured the truck would make it in 4wd. I was right. I love having that option. Thats why I have 4wd. Not to get me deeper and stuck further, but rather to assit me in cases like this. There were a bunch of people watching this event. Sorry I dissapointed everybody and didn't get stuck, but rather just pulled right into spot 116 like nothing happened.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #72

Jayco Owners Club
Icing conditions, steep drive, and I have been called in to work today... Really glad to have 4X4... I backed in yesterday just in case I had to try this today... easier forward than backing up... Wish me luck!

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
I recall the same debate was kicked around for years when the limited slip rear end came out as an option.

Then Dad would hook the horses up and go feed the stock.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #74

It's true that the four wheel drive will sell faster on the used truck market. And if you live in any snow belt, a diesel pickup is not good due to having an extra 450 lbs. on the front axles.

But in the Mid South, I just don't need a four wheel drive because we don't see snow. And at $110 per labor hour, I don't want to maintain a transfer case and front axles. I bought my SuperDuty for the long run, and at one point the 4x4 system is going to require maintenance or repairs. Not to mention the $5K price differential that would have made the truck unaffordable.

All a 4x4 will do is get me another 50 feet before I get completely stuck.
For the price difference, I can pay for 75 wrecker calls.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
The assurance that I have "on call" 4WD stability and sure-footedness started [for me] about five decades ago. Living in the mountains of Colorado makes it a given, I guess. But I have also traveled 48 other states -- and that assurance and stability is just as important to me there. Yea..., I've been stuck a couple times, but I don't think that was the fault of the vehicle. More times than I have been stuck, I have been able to help other people get UNstuck. And [countless] more times than that I've used 4WD to assure a safe driving experience, whether on pavement or off, for me and my family. I have just always stuck with the 4WD vehicles.

We have all made decisions in life that may have not been the least expensive option in front of us at the time. Earlier in this thread somebody called it a "lifestyle choice." I think that is true; it's about personal preference. If you have always worn loafers, your next pair of shoes is prolly gonna be loafers. If you have always bought groceies at WholeFoods, your next trip to the store is prolly gonna be to a WholeFoods. If you have always purchased Apple products, your next laptop is prolly gonna be an Apple.

No "right" or "wrong" ... it's just 'cause that is what we know and are comfortable with.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #76

I have owned 4 x 4 trucks for over 30 years and owned them to over 200k. Not one required any more repairs then the few universal joints. Until I realised that using them more often was the solution to repair requirement. My last 3 trucks did not require repairs at all. One oil change each at 100k. And yes they held their price at trade in. No one wants a 2x 4 as a used diesel truck.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
As Bumps so eloquently said most of the rationale is about life choices. I know a few folks who work in the oil patch and construction industry to truely need and use a 4 wheel drive.

IMO most of us have a 4wd by choice not by need. I will give you it may be easier to sell a 4wd but doubt that one is able to run them without any cost or sell them and totally recoup the cost.

There are lots of 'justifications' used to rationalize 4wd. DW needs AWD for the clearance. That is her favorite word when she is explaining to all of her friends why she has one. She struggles to get in and out of it because of the height. We do not got to town until the roads are plowed! But it gives her peace of mind and that is what counts.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
It's true that the four wheel drive will sell faster on the used truck market. And if you live in any snow belt, a diesel pickup is not good due to having an extra 450 lbs. on the front axles.

But in the Mid South, I just don't need a four wheel drive because we don't see snow. And at $110 per labor hour, I don't want to maintain a transfer case and front axles. I bought my SuperDuty for the long run, and at one point the 4x4 system is going to require maintenance or repairs. Not to mention the $5K price differential that would have made the truck unaffordable.

All a 4x4 will do is get me another 50 feet before I get completely stuck.
For the price difference, I can pay for 75 wrecker calls.
A diesel pickup with 4wd would be and is the perfect combination for snow due to the added weight up front. 2wd in the snow? I don't think so. This is a forum about towing vehicles. A lot of folks on here take there rv'/trailers and 5th wheels to Camp Grounds that are actually just that. Dirt roads. If you get stuck with a 2wd, yes you will need a tow truck to get you out. And it won't be $ 75.00. More like $300.00 especially if your trailer needs to be towed also. I'm also sure that these campgrounds are a bit off the beaten path.

Maintenance is easy. If you can change a tire you can do it.

Price? Yes. They will cost more, and you get what you pay for. I've known to many people who wish they would have ponied up the extra bucks, and bought one.

A lot of folks here tow there rigs all over this country, and will experiance all kinds of terrian and road conditions during their travels.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #79
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Some of you guys just can't get over that fact that there are those of us that don't need or want a 4WD for a tow vehicle. I don't drive my truck in the snow if I can help it, I don't take it off-road and I don't need 4WD. I have over 150,000 highway miles on my Dodge and I know that total cost-wise and driving comfort-wise I am way ahead. BTW I do have AWD vehicles for the snow and they work great.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #80

Your right. Everybody doesn't need one. I have had 10 of them since 1972. I've used them for just about everything, from construction, woodcutting,landscaping around our house, and ranch, maintaining roads (lots of gravel) building houses, hunting, towing trailers, and pulling out stuck 2wd pickups out of muddy parking lots or boat ramps. I just couldn't resist putting that last line in there. Really though to each his own. I wouldn't try to tell you what to buy. Thats your buisness. Living in the Northwest its nice to have a 4x4, because if you don't you really limit yourself where you can drive in the winter. At least where I'm from.

By the way, you should really take a ride in one of the new Ram 2500 4wd with coil spring rear end. Loving mine.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #81

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Living in West Virginia, we naturally live on the side of a hill. I had to dig into the side of said hill, to make a spot to park our fiver. To get the fiver up the hill easier and then back it into it's spot, I use 4WD-Lo without the front hubs locked in. That way, the truck/transmission do not have to work as hard. With the hubs not being locked, I am not risking snapping an axle.

Lots of folks don't "Need" 4WD and choose not to own one. Living here and doing the towing/driving/maneuvering I do, I personally need it. Without it, both my dually and my SRW truck just sit and spin at times, in 2WD.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #82

I own a 36 ft raptor toy hauler. I started with a 3/4 dodge cummins 2wd. Every time I got off the pavement I was stuck. I got so sick of it I bought a dodge 4x4 dually also with cummins. All I can say is what a difference it makes, I'll never go back to a 2x4 truck again.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #83
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Your right. Everybody doesn't need one. I have had 10 of them since 1972. I've used them for just about everything, from construction, woodcutting,landscaping around our house, and ranch, maintaining roads (lots of gravel) building houses, hunting, towing trailers, and pulling out stuck 2wd pickups out of muddy parking lots or boat ramps. I just couldn't resist putting that last line in there. Really though to each his own. I wouldn't try to tell you what to buy. Thats your buisness. Living in the Northwest its nice to have a 4x4, because if you don't you really limit yourself where you can drive in the winter. At least where I'm from.

By the way, you should really take a ride in one of the new Ram 2500 4wd with coil spring rear end. Loving mine.
But you see, you really need and use one. It would be silly for someone like yourself to not have that. I can count on one hand the times where I would have stuck it in 4WD, and that's before I changed from the OEM highway tires to Michelin LTX M/S2s. After that, never.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I can count on one hand the times where I would have stuck it in 4WD, and that's before I changed from the OEM highway tires to Michelin LTX M/S2s. After that, never.
Yes, the Michelins have amazing grip.
I still can't believe how much better the are than the Bridgestones.