Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #85

I just like a 4wd truck ! End of story.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #86

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Following this, and similar threads, it's becoming my opinion that if you have to ask...get a 4WD. We all have different experiences, if new folks are a little uncertain, probably better to have a bigger safety net. JMO!

Cheers!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #87

4 x 4 trucks come in standard with heavy duty package for off road and hard work. 2 Wheel drive trucks are for the pavement application only. Have seen to many campsites ruined by improper equipped trucks and RVs after a rain. For me any vehicle of 3000 lbs and over has to have AWD.

No brainer for my 23400 lbs combined weight unit.
A 4 x 4 is a real man's truck and can also be a real woman's truck too.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #88

I consulted w my brother, a long time 5th wheel owner, before we bought our tow rig. He said " if you ever need 4wd and do not have it you will be very regretful." So I got the 4wd. When we brought our TT home last year after buying it, I parked it in the backyard until we located a storage facility. A week later I hooked up and was heading off to the storage facility but discovered I could not pull the TT up a very small incline out of our backyard without engaging the 4wd. Pretty sure it was a good investment. BTW... we love the ride on the highways.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #89
IC2

I need a 4x4 to pull our 5er
I have been pulling 5ers since 1976, starting with an F350 w/ 2wd and a very heavy for it's time 30 foot Kountry Aire. I got stuck more times then I'd like to recall, but most time it was at CGs with wet, grassy sloped sites or on sand. That truck also wouldn't move if I parked on a wad of frozen spit in the winter even with a bunch of weight in the bed. My 2% driveway after 3-4 inches of snow - fugedabotit. Jump ahead a bunch of years - the CG where we spend much of the summer has a fairly steep exit road that is slippery when dry, but passable. When wet and hauling the trailer - well you might want to consider the other way through some private property if you don't have a 4x4. My 3 Ford local dealers will order a 2wd but have none in stock except maybe a couple bare bones work trucks - the 2wd seldom sell. Long bed trucks - they seldom have one of them in stock either. Do I wish that I could get by with a 2wd - sure do as they are less expensive to buy and operate but my use history in the Northeast and the normal side of a hill campgrounds says that's a poor choice for me.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...it's becoming my opinion that if you have to ask...get a 4WD ... if new folks are a little uncertain, probably better to have a bigger safety net. JMO!
X2!
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
What on earth does 4wd have to do with hydroplaning other than a false sense of security??
By definition, your tires have lost contact with the road. The only way to help hydroplaning is to slow down and get better tires.
front end weight maybe !!!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I have heard "If I would have not had 4 wheel I would have got stuck in the first mud hole, hired a tow truck, got pulled out and went home. But OH NO I had 4 wheel. So I got through the first 5 mudholes before I got stuck. Now I am stuck in the middle of no where, I have to walk for 5 hours to get back to the road, I have to hire a 4 wheel tow truck to get me out. I had to take a day off from work to go with the tow truck and it cost a fortune for the tow cause he charged by the hour and the mile."

Happened to my my mom's neighbour.
Same thing happen to the guy with the 2w drive just sooner LOL
Old 01-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #93

I just bought a '14 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited diesel with 4x4...my thought on the matter is if I have to reach down and push the button one time, it paid for the extra cost!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4X4's Stuck on icy road

Ok, here is a strange but true 4X4 story. No I was not driving a 4X4.Early í80 and I was driving a Ď70ís something Ford Pinto. Yep, put over 200k on that little guy. Here in Va. we get some pretty good ice storms. On my way home from work in one of those ice storms and there is one turn that is nicely banked and guard rails on both sides. Iím fighting my little pinto to stay on the high shoulder, keeping it in the gravel to try to get what traction I could. The low side was paved all the way to the guardrail. Still raining and turning to ice as soon as it hit the road. Iím moving at about 5 mph and lost it. The back end slowly slid down the bank and I just kind of let it roll. I wound up perfectly sideways, with the rear bumper square against the guard rail.Well, no harm done so far and I always carried strap chains. I got them out and put them on to see if I could get out of there. It was so icy on that short stretch of road you couldnít even stand without holding on to something. I use 4 strap chains on each wheel and to my amazement that little pony climbed off the guardrail, up and on around the turn. As I rounded the end of the turn there were 3 pickups parked neatly along the guard rail on the downhill side. Without studded tires or chains nothing moves on this kind of ice. As I kind of chugged by with my rear tires slipping and then the chains grabbing the ice, they all started yelling for me to help them. Once around the turn the road was flat and the ice was not near as bad and I pulled over and took off the chains. ĎCan we use themí, one guy yelled. I walked them back and they tried the first chain and the strap was almost a foot too short. They tried putting two chains together and no luck.I said Iíll put them back on and try to get the first pickup to move. I donít think it will do any good but Iím willing to try. It was a two wheel drive F150. Well to shorten this tale a bit I tied a piece of rope, it was ĺĒ nylon, but still just a rope I had in the car, to the truck and pulled (more like a gentle tug) and he spun his wheels and the darn truck moved. We kept going with me giving him just enough to keep moving and him spinning wheels like crazy. Well, I pulled the next two 4X4ís off the guard rail the same way, and on to the flat where they could get going again. That little Pinto didnít have any power. It wouldnít even spin the rear tires on wet road, but it was just enough of a tug that the guys could get a little traction and together we kept moving. They all wanted to pay me but I said no, I got the best Pinto story ever, so keep your money. I had just pulled 3 stuck pickupís out with a worn out 4 cylinder Pinto and a piece of rope. Yep itís a true story, but no one, no one, believes me when I tell it. No smart phones back then to capture the moment.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Plus with a 4 x 4 your more likely to get more on re-sale, when that time comes.

My brother has a 2 x 4 F-150 and tells how it hairy it is to drive when the roads are snow covered or slushy.

Had my 4x4 Tundra out today getting firewood and drove across a lawn and small ditch in 8" of snow. With a 2x4 I wouldn't even think about leaving the pavement.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #96

I own a 4WD dually (is that 6WD?) anyway, I've really been glad I had it several time while towing our 40' 5er. One specific time stands out; we were driving West on US 2 approaching Cutbank MT. The entire 4-lane highway was being completely rebuilt, crews were working on the Westbound side, tearing up asphalt. The Eastbound side had already been torn out and the driving surface was dirt, both directions were using that side, which had turned to mud after a lot of rain.
My dually, posi-track-both differentials, began spinning enough to throw mud onto the trailer badly and into the oncoming lane. I shifted into 4HI and the result was felt immediately. It stopped spinning and began to increase speed without me accelerating.
We have used my 4WD dually to explore desert ghost towns too. We have been near 40 miles out in the desert Northeast of Quartzite,AZ to explore an old copper mine. Granted, a LB, CC dually is not a great vehicle for exploring off-road but it worked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:28 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post
Same thing happen to the guy with the 2w drive just sooner LOL
My Dad used to say, "use 2WD to get where you are going, if you get stuck use 4WD to get out and home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My Dad used to say, "use 2WD to get where you are going, if you get stuck use 4WD to get out and home.
Thats exactly how I use it. It just plain works. Now that we are full timers our truck us a very valuable piece of equipment, and it will never see off road conditions while it's our only means of transportation. If I get into a fix due to road conditions I will definitely put it 4wd.

Now on the other hand I have always needed a 4x4 for the activities I engage in. Work mostly. Love my 4x4.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote