Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Plus youre not likely hear anybody say, "if I had 2 wheel drive, I could get my truck out an we wouldn't be in this situation."
I have heard "If I would have not had 4 wheel I would have got stuck in the first mud hole, hired a tow truck, got pulled out and went home. But OH NO I had 4 wheel. So I got through the first 5 mudholes before I got stuck. Now I am stuck in the middle of no where, I have to walk for 5 hours to get back to the road, I have to hire a 4 wheel tow truck to get me out. I had to take a day off from work to go with the tow truck and it cost a fortune for the tow cause he charged by the hour and the mile."

Happened to my my mom's neighbour.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Toyota Tundra's ( 2014 & 15's) only come with 4wd on their V-8's. Tried driving on my parents driveway with 4" of snow on it in 2wd. Made it about 25'. Yes resale will bring many more $$$'s
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #45

Heard someone say once that a 4 X 4 allows you to get stuck farther from the road. Lol. I still like the 4 X 4. Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Rule of thumb for 4 wheeling. "Leave it in 2 wheel drive till you get stuck. Put it in 4 wheel drive, back out and go home."

Worked as the road authority for a government agency. One of the duties was to review proposed access roads to newly opened land. We were provided 2 wheel drive trucks so would drive to the end of the road, park and then walk down the proposed right of way to estimate the costs.

Learned early in the process the first thing to do was turn the truck around before doing the inspection. Out of cell phone and radio contact you want the day to get unstuck rather than starting the process in the late afternoon.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Rule of thumb for 4 wheeling. "Leave it in 2 wheel drive till you get stuck. Put it in 4 wheel drive, back out and go home."

Worked as the road authority for a government agency. One of the duties was to review proposed access roads to newly opened land. We were provided 2 wheel drive trucks so would drive to the end of the road, park and then walk down the proposed right of way to estimate the costs.

Learned early in the process the first thing to do was turn the truck around before doing the inspection. Out of cell phone and radio contact you want the day to get unstuck rather than starting the process in the late afternoon.
Good one Gordon 2 wheel drive stuck, small problem, 4 wheel drive stuck.......big problem
Short story:
I had a 1966 International Scout(Very young)("All Wheel Drive") Back a oil lease road, late at night, maybe some beer involved.........stuck! Winch on front, broke it, on-board come a longs, useless! Called a local towing company(Fathers friend) got there, drove in so far(F-350 4 WHEEL DRIVE WRECKER), parked, we walked in, he stated at this point, he would have to be winching the wrecker in........got to where I was at.......he said after a short time, you are going to have to call your Father, after a bit of pondering, midnight now......, called Dad........1 hour later, he shows up with the "DOZER" on the lowboy Upset? Word's can't explain!
Still have 4 wheel drives today, don't use them much......

(God rest his soul)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #48

Stringpicker, you might hear someoe carrying a gas can saying"If I had a 2 wd, I'd have made it to the gas station." LOL.see my signature. BTW I string pick on an old Hummingbird.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Good one Gordon 2 wheel drive stuck, small problem, 4 wheel drive stuck.......big problem
Short story:
I had a 1966 International Scout(Very young)("All Wheel Drive") Back a oil lease road, late at night, maybe some beer involved.........stuck! Winch on front, broke it, on-board come a longs, useless! Called a local towing company(Fathers friend) got there, drove in so far(F-350 4 WHEEL DRIVE WRECKER), parked, we walked in, he stated at this point, he would have to be winching the wrecker in........got to where I was at.......he said after a short time, you are going to have to call your Father, after a bit of pondering, midnight now......, called Dad........1 hour later, he shows up with the "DOZER" on the lowboy Upset? Word's can't explain!

(God rest his soul)
I really wanted a Scout. My dad worked as an International mechanic for years.

I had both a 1/2 ton (67) and a 3/4 ton (73) with the 304 and 392 respectively. Now those were TRUCKS! Can remember sitting on the fender with my feet on the frame changing spark plugs. On the diesel I can't see the ground let alone the frame.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The new '14 4x4 Rams come with a CAD so there is no MPG loss with 4WD. There are times that a 2 WD truck with a winch might be a better way to go.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I really wanted a Scout. My dad worked as an International mechanic for years.

I had both a 1/2 ton (67) and a 3/4 ton (73) with the 304 and 392 respectively. Now those were TRUCKS! Can remember sitting on the fender with my feet on the frame changing spark plugs. On the diesel I can't see the ground let alone the frame.
Here's one for ya Gordon, Mid 60's Parents first camper, Holiday Rambler camper, single axle, and it had a "over hang" like a Class C in the front, pulled with a International Travelall w/304 engine.......wish I had pictures today of it! but I remember it. Not sure of the model of the camper, but I can still see it, inside and out.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
What on earth does 4wd have to do with hydroplaning other than a false sense of security?
Ever tried it?

It makes a difference just like front wheel drive pulling the vehicle vs rear wheel drive pushing the vehicle does, only better.

Used to do it regularly with manually shifted T-cases. Haven't tried shifting the newfangled twistyknob typeversion T-case running at highway speed ....yet.

If I could make a single change to ol'Menthol, I'd throw the lever in the floor and toss the knob from the dash.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #53

I've had to use 4wd just to get my old windjammer up the driveway to my house. Glad I had it. Never would had made it up otherwise. I still have the same truck , but a much heavier 5er. I still like the 4wd just in case SHTF! Not cheap insurance, but it's worth it in my opinion.

It's funny how a person changes through the years. I used to rag on folks that had a 4wd that never went off road. I did at the time, and couldn't understand why they ever even bought a 4wd. My truck will never see the mud or off road unless I get really lost. Diesel 4wd's are not the off road vehicle of choice. to much weight up front. I sure like the ability to get myself out of a tight spot ( or up). For me having that option is a must, especially with a heavy trailer.

On the other hand , my Grandpa would pull his little 12' Shasta trailer with his old 1961 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd into the most ridiculous hunting camps you could imagine. I mean people these days wouldn't even think of such a feat with one of the newer 4wd's. Just saying.

The advantage to a 2wd truck would be a little more payload weight, and probably a little bit better fuel consumption. Oh! , and of course the extra cost, and up here in Nor-Cal you can't even sell a 2wd truck.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Ever tried it?

It makes a difference just like front wheel drive pulling the vehicle vs rear wheel drive pushing the vehicle does, only better.

Used to do it regularly with manually shifted T-cases. Haven't tried shifting the newfangled twistyknob typeversion T-case running at highway speed ....yet.

If I could make a single change to ol'Menthol, I'd throw the lever in the floor and toss the knob from the dash.
The GM push button 4x4s that have AUTO TRAC as one of the buttons CAN be engaged at ANY speed. Using it, I have experienced the rear end slip sideways, and AUTO TRAC kick in, and it pull the truck straight. I liked that feature on my GMC Z71 I had before my Dodge. It is designed to sense slip using speed sensors that ABS brakes use. When speed difference between front and rear wheels differ, it automatically locks the transfer case in a fraction of a second. Works great on slippery wet roads. Bet it works on snow covered roads when traction is suddenly lost.

As to the OP about 2wd vs 4wd, I like that I have it on my Dodge 2500 diesel. The weight of the diesel motor and the torque produced, causes the rear to spin so easy when you do not want it to. I would not take my truck onto any wet dirt road, grassy field, or pull over on the side of the road if I did not know the exact conditions without having 4x4. I have experienced wheel spin in places my previous gas powered truck would NOT have spun at all.

The OP hasn't posted anything else and we don't know his towing requirements - bumper pull or 5th wheel, light or heavy. If heavy, Diesel and 4x4, if light, gas and 2wd would be my opinion.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Ever tried it?
No, I don't think I have, but let's think about the claim.

A loss of traction from hydroplaning is something that is pretty much only immediately solved by either reducing speed or the volume of water is reduced. While using four wheel drive might feel (seat of the pants) like it increases traction wrote hydroplaning, it might not be doing anything at all, until you attempt to change the direction the vehicle is going. It might help then, but until I see proof, it's only an interesting guess that four wheel drive is beneficial while hydroplaning. Even then, if the front wheels gain traction suddenly with the vehicle changing direction, that alone could throw the vehicle into a dangerous motion or movement.

Until we get proof that a pickup truck with 4wd can be safer while hydroplaning, I'll just continue to reduce speed when it's raining in order to prevent hydroplaning and not worry about whether or not 4wd will prevent me from crashing in that situation. Seems more prudent to me.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #56

Till you try it you just never know... This sure makes it seem plausible though.

http://youtu.be/sAubG28uODM.

I don't think dropping into 2wd and slowing down would have been the answer for him.

Maybe it's time we call Mythbusters..... If they'll check out mpg claims on clean vs dirty vehicles, mpg on tailgate/no tailgate/net tailgate and drafting for mpg, maybe they'll take on 4xing on wet roads.