Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with Rusty on the it depends on your usage. I have seen 2wd stuck on grass and I have seen 4wd stuck in the same area, when the trailer wheels are sunk in, and it is soft ground, either one can get stuck.
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Eric
I agree you don't want to operate low (or even high for that matter) four wheel drive on hard pavement but I would do it for a short distance - a car length or two. I was with a friend with a 2WD Ford backing his 5th wheel into a space near Moab and by the time he was in the space the transmission had gotten so hot fluid was coming out the overflow or vent. I think better yet is 4X4 with manual hubs like I had.
Bob

i would think that is the only way to use 4wd on hard pavement. get the tork multiplication for slow speed manuvering. but u have to be careful of the extra tork going to just one axel.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I keep hearing about people that have seen a 2 wheel truck stuck on grass
Ken
been there done that. but it did not have a locking diff and that makes a big diffrence
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

2wd with posi. If you get stuck, $98/year Coach-Net.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #19

I think most people like to use their trucks for other tasks besides pullin the rv. It's for those other tasks that I'm glad I have 4wd. Rusty's right tho- there are advantages with the 2wd truck too.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
I didn't get 4WD for pulling my trailer. I got it because I ski in the Colorado Rockies. It's nice to have when boondocking on dirt roads, but I could probably do the same thing with 2WD.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
I think it depends on individual circumstances and trade offs - cost vs convenience or possible necessity. When we moved up to SW Oregon I had a 2WD and on my property the Ford 2WD could not move the 5th wheel once I got into the area. I went to a local RV park and asked if anyone with a 4X4 could try to move the 5th wheel out for me. A guy with a Dodge 4X4 dually said he'd give it a try and after he hooked up it looked effortless - the dually 4X4 pulled the 5th wheel out to harder surface. That one instance sold me on the 4X4 idea. If you don't get in that type of situation you probably don't need a 4X4. From years ago when working on the border in the sand I remember hearing that a 4X4 will only get you stuck deeper - and that might be true but where we now live the county does not maintain our roads so in order to get out to the highway in the winter we often have to break a trail through the snow. In our situation a 4X4 is pretty important. Some towing contracts end when the pavement ends - not much good in my opinion.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #22

Just my personal experience here. Until my present truck I only had 2wd, got stuck a lot, in snow on my uphill driveway, in my farm field just after DW had driven her car though the same spot, etc. I seem to average at least one muddy CG each year. Just this past Easter weekend we went to a state park where it rained every day for a week. As I was backing into my spot I got the left duals off the blacktop and immediately began spinning. I stopped and pushed the 4 wd-low button and continued backing into the spot. Same thing happened when we left.
4WD is not the same thing it was a decade ago. I've had my 4X6 Chevy dually since 05 and the 4WD part hasn't cost me a dime in maintenance yet. As for durability, 2 years ago we went to Buffalo, NY and on the return leg I got stuck in a muddy CG. After we left I forgot to revert to 2WD. I ran at interstate speed for about 50 miles when I noticed the 4WD-high light on. I shifted it to 2WD and continued to home, where I had my truck checked out for any damage to the transfer case and drivetrain. The GM tech said "this isn't your Dad's version of 4WD, todays are tough to break".
I may only actually need 4WD once a year, but when I do_ I have it! BTW, I was told some road service contracts exclude private property runs. Might be an important question to ask when considering one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I specifically bought a 4WD when I had a trailer because I had to back up a slippery slope to get it stored behind my house. And the 4wd rode better than the 2wd when I test drove them.
The resale was better on a 4wd as there is more demand for them.

However, either one will do the job just fine.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #24
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I keep hearing about people that have seen a 2 wheel truck stuck on grass....I have yet to see on and I have been RVing since 1984.

Like Rusty, I have ALWAYS used a 2WD and never had any issues. But if it makes you feel better, by all means spend the extra money on the drive, poorer fuel economy and higher repair cost.

Why get something you do not need?

Ken
Just yesterday was pulling an equipment trailer on wet grass and spun out with front wheels on gravel. Put it in 4X4 & drove out. It could have been the TT which is heavier.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #25

2wd turns shorter radius doesn't it?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #26
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
2wd turns shorter radius doesn't it?
Not necessarily. My dodge turns shorter than any 2wd I've had and it is a long wheel base.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoates View Post
Being new to the RV world, which is better to have as a tow vehicle, 2WD or 4WD? I've narrowed my choice to a 2500 HD with the diesel package, but balked after reading that a 2WD is better suited for towing.

Any thoughts?
I've been towing with 4wd for 15 years and can count on my fingers the times I've needed to use it, with fingers left over. In those few cases when I really needed it, I REALLY needed it.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #28

I've had seven pick ups...all 2wd, never had a need for 4wd. One thing for sure, if you have a 4wd and get stuck you'll be farther in the boonies than if stuck with a 2wd!