Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
I've had seven pick ups...all 2wd, never had a need for 4wd. One thing for sure, if you have a 4wd and get stuck you'll be farther in the boonies than if stuck with a 2wd!
That senario is true. It is also true that a prudent person uses 4WD to get OUT of being stuck, not to drive INTO being stuck. No one here is talking about off-roading in their tow vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like everyone else has said- it is a matter of usage. As for slipping on wet grass, I have a friend whose truck seemed to hate wet grass- he had a std diff. His new truck has a locking diff and he rarely gets stuck on grass anymore. My truck has both 4wd and locking diff - I try to go as far as I can in 2wd and use the 4wd as needed. There are some places where I go to 4wd right off the bat - like going over the dunes at my favorite beach access. I also use it in the snow and the occasional muddy campground. As far as running in 4wd on dry pavement - it is hard on the universial joints (ind front axles) if you try and make a tight turn - you can actually hear and feel the axles bind (don't ask me how I know). I have not used the 4wd while my TT was attached - I once got backed in to a site that had a layer of mud on top of the pavement - without the TT I almost needed 4wd to move the truck by itself.

As for resale, I think you will find that most HD trucks here on the west coast are going to be 4wd so you might as well go along for the ride.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #31

I am in Canada 4x4 I My choice wet grass with the 5er needed it a few times.Going south this past winter again needed it 2 times.Had a 1996 2 wheel drive stuck without a trailer first trip hunting up north Ontario yup 1st trip north lucky to get out that day middle of no where.Got home ordered a 1997 4X4 and also a Desiel never been 2 wheel drive or Gas unit now in the last 5 pick ups lol just My idea of a Truck 4X4 Oil burner all the way. Bushman Eh
Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
It's with what ever you feel comfortable. I've owned lots of pickups...half ton, 3/4 ton, diesel dually...and even an import...but never a 4 x 4. And, although I bought my first truck in 1972, never needed a 4 x 4 except for one time I refused to shovel my driveway, again, and got stuck there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #33

Another advantage of 4wd over 2wd is that cool looking Z71 sticker on the side of my truck

Jim
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
Another advantage of 4wd over 2wd is that cool looking Z71 sticker on the side of my truck

Jim
Excellent point!

The OP should go buy one of those stickers or one that says "4 X 4''...thus saving the expense of actually buying a 4wd truck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote