Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #1

Hello all, I am new to the site and need advise. I just purchased a 05 2500 extended cab dodge short bed automatic with the cummins turbo diesel. I have been reading some of the posts and am a little confused about pulling a 5th wheel camper with the short bed. I have my eye on a 25' 5er thats would fits my families needs just perfect. What I need to know is will my truck handle the 5er ok. The 5er weighs 6000 lbs dry weight and has a 1200 tongue weight. According to dodge mfg, My truck has a 2500 payload max and a max pull load of 13,350. I know power wise the truck has plenty of towing power. My concern is highway stability and backing without damage to the cab. I have never pulled a 5er so, I need the advise from people who have. I don't really trust asking a dealer because they tend to tell you what you want to hear which is not always the the best advise. I would really like to hear some comments please. Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #2

Hello all, I am new to the site and need advise. I just purchased a 05 2500 extended cab dodge short bed automatic with the cummins turbo diesel. I have been reading some of the posts and am a little confused about pulling a 5th wheel camper with the short bed. I have my eye on a 25' 5er thats would fits my families needs just perfect. What I need to know is will my truck handle the 5er ok. The 5er weighs 6000 lbs dry weight and has a 1200 tongue weight. According to dodge mfg, My truck has a 2500 payload max and a max pull load of 13,350. I know power wise the truck has plenty of towing power. My concern is highway stability and backing without damage to the cab. I have never pulled a 5er so, I need the advise from people who have. I don't really trust asking a dealer because they tend to tell you what you want to hear which is not always the the best advise. I would really like to hear some comments please. Thank you

Old 09-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #3

You can extend your pin or get a slider hitch.An extended pin will set the trailer a little further back so you dont hit cab in a tight turn.A slider hitch will slide as you turn and back up,the automatic ones are pricey. Either one of those should be enough.That truck will have no problems at all with your trailer. I am going with a fiver next time, Good luck

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #4

Frankie got it right on the head. Depending on your $$ will determine the way you will want to go. Personally I prefer the slider hitch over the extended hitch box. No real reason just personal prefrence. Check the classified ads here you may find one close by you and save some money. Also check your local paper under travel trailers. You will usually find them listed there from people that move up from 5er's to MH's. Not sure on the 05s but my o3 you could not weld on the frame so it tooka little more work for the installer to get it the way I wanted. Good luck & enjoy.
Derek
Old 09-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #5

Thank you gentlemen for the info. I feel better about buying a 5er now.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 AM   #6

I have this same setup. A 3/4 SWB CTD. A tape measure is the only true way to know if you need a slider. measure from the center if the pin to the corner on the trailer. Measure from the center of the bed (where the hitch would be installed) to the cab. Find out how far you can turn and judge if you would be comfortable.

The fact is, all 5th wheel trailers will hit the cab. The difference in them is WHEN. You have to answer if the clearence you have is enough for where your going and for your comfort/experience level.

I don't use a slider and can get anywhere I need to go. I have been pulling for many many years so I'm comfortable with it.

The disadvantes to a slider are of course expenseive and they are very heavy and combersome to take out of the truck when not in use.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 AM   #7

If the distance from the hitch pin to the cab is less than 1/2 the width of the 5er, the 5er WILL hit the cab in a 90? jack-nife turn, even with an extended pin box. See the drawing at http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/short-5er-towing.pdf for examples.

Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote