Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

5er or TT

I am looking at a 5th wheel and travel trailer. Those weights are relatively the same. The travel trailer is about 3 foot longer. I'm curious it which one is going to go better and we easier maneuver on the road, and the gas milage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

JMHO: 5er , way easier to handle ; I had 4 ; because of the higher profile fuel mileage may be slightly lower.
Interior stairs , and DW's mobility issues , had us switch to a class A, didn't even want to think of a TT with the floor space we like.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

Only reason I'd ever go back to a TT is if I were down sizing. A 5th wheel tows so much easier. You will cut corners on turns a little more with the 5er but you get used to it and turn a little wider. Backing in is a little trickier but again once you do it a few times you figure it out. If you think about it you really spend very little time backing in or in tight corner situations. Most of the time you're out on the road towing, and that's where the 5er shines. No messing with WD hitches either.
I've had two TTs and now a 5er. Towing the 5er is easier because of the way the hitch is located right above the trucks rear axle. You don't get that whiplash effect when in windy conditions.
Think about this. How many times have you ever read about an RV'er needing help with his 5th wheel swaying? Never. But you'll read all day long about guys towing TTs with many different kinds of towing problems.
There will be those that have only towed a TT and say theirs tows just fine. But until they tow a 5er they really don't know what they don't know.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

5'rs handle a little better. but loose a little fuel mileage AND you loose the truck bed.
most have steps going to the bedroom.. an issue for midnight bathroom trips.

TT do sometimes has wag issues. but can be reduced or eliminated ... I have none.

5'rs offer more storage space.. but most are also higher off the ground.

Try both for yourself.. then decide.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #5

Fivers also require more teuck to tow them. 20%+ pin weight vs 12-13% tongue weight makes a big difference.
But like has already been mentioned, unless I was downsizing my fiver will always be behind my truck.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

If nearly identical weights and lengths, then a fiver is a clear choice for towing comfort. That is assuming the truck can handle the higher pin weight. Personally, I would never want to tow a TT equal to my fivers length and weight, so unless I downsize it is not an option.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

Go 5th wheel all the way!! I tried pulling a 32ft. TT w/Expedition that weighs 6k. There was nothing fun about that experience. Even with all of the research I did in advanced regarding GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, WD Hitches, & Towing Capacity of SUV's - it all was pointless. If you don't want to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, then consider a smaller TT under 5,000 lbs.

AH
Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

You are preaching to the choir, I agree 100% The only reason I started with a TT was that my existing TV was a 2008 Ford Expedition. Everywhere I searched (even Ford), stated it had a Tow Capacity of up to 9k. That is absolutely not true...My TT weighs 6k and close to 32ft., it was just too much trailer for any SUV. I bought a Dodge 2500 diesel as a 2nd vehicle, can't even feel my TT when pulling down the road.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Never owned a 5er, always pulled TTs and never had a problem pulling, turning or backing up. Of course that no problem pulling, turning and backing up was after a little practice but not much (ok backing took the most practice). This is not to say I don't always look ahead before pulling into fuel pumps or double check where the spot is I'll be backing into and watching the turns. Though I think watching where you are pulling into or backing into is the same with a 5er as a TT. Lets face it, we are all pulling a land yacht behind us and care must be taken at all times.

We get 11-12 mpg towing a 31'.5" TT weighing 7,200 lbs loaded with our 2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4. The truck can pull our TT up the Grapevine at 75 mph with even noticing. I know this because I normal always tow at 60 mph but didn't notice my speed until I started complaining about the slow drivers in the fast lane. That's when I look down and realized I was going 75 mph, oops.

As to pulling a 5er, I would really like to pull one just to see if I find a big difference between a 5er and TT. I'm sure there is a difference but I'm just not sure it can be that much of a difference.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I can also do any speed I want up any grade. A 31 ft TT like mine is = about a 28 ft 5th. My truck and trailer overall connected length is about 52 feet. With a 26 ft 5th my guess would be about 45 feet. I know 5ths of the same size cost more, weigh more, are taller, are not as off road friendly due to possible bed contact, hitches cost more, you loose your bed, and have a smaller resale market. But they do have many pluses over a standard pull. In the end we all make choices.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Never owned a 5er, always pulled TTs and never had a problem pulling, turning or backing up. Of course that no problem pulling, turning and backing up was after a little practice but not much (ok backing took the most practice). This is not to say I don't always look ahead before pulling into fuel pumps or double check where the spot is I'll be backing into and watching the turns. Though I think watching where you are pulling into or backing into is the same with a 5er as a TT. Lets face it, we are all pulling a land yacht behind us and care must be taken at all times.

We get 11-12 mpg towing a 31'.5" TT weighing 7,200 lbs loaded with our 2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4. The truck can pull our TT up the Grapevine at 75 mph with even noticing. I know this because I normal always tow at 60 mph but didn't notice my speed until I started complaining about the slow drivers in the fast lane. That's when I look down and realized I was going 75 mph, oops.

As to pulling a 5er, I would really like to pull one just to see if I find a big difference between a 5er and TT. I'm sure there is a difference but I'm just not sure it can be that much of a difference.

There is a difference. Not big but you do notice it. A 5er will never sway out of control. I never get the push pull effect when passing along side a semi. I do notice side winds. But they're nowhere as intimidating as when we pulled our 31' 7300lb TT with the same 12 Ram 2500 CTD CC LB 4x4. I'm not sure how to explain it completely, but towing our 5th wheel and our previous TT, what I notice about the 5er is that it just doesn't take as much driver input to maintain a straight line. Not a big difference, but the difference between the two is that when towing the 5er I pretty much drive like I have no trailer. With the TT I always felt that something was back there. Power wise I feel both of course. But just the overall ease of driving only comes with the 5er.
I would say though that I think it really depends on the truck and TT. Run any truck to it's limits and the TT is going to constantly remind you that it's back there.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #12

Cumminsfan,
Good to hear, your account sounds much more realistic than others I have heard and read. You know the salesman that says my 2500 truck can pull a 45' toy hauler with two cars inside, no problem at all and a 5er will turn on a dime. We been looking into switching to a 5er for more storage space and nicer floors plans.
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Depends on the hitch on the TT. Pay the big bucks for a ProPride hitch on a TT, then properly install and adjust the hitch and there is absolutely no difference in towing "feel". Neither the 5er nor the TT will have any problem with sway under even the most severe conditions.

Those that claim a 5er tows better are assuming an ordinary weight-distributing hitch on the TT. You can buy a good TT hitch for about $600 to $700, while a ProPride costs about $2,450. That huge difference in price results in very few ProPride hitches in use. The high end WD hitches such as the Reese Strait-Line, Equal-I-Zer, and Blue Ox SwayPro are perfectly suitable under 99% of towing conditions. It's that other 1% of conditions that caused me to spend more for a ProPride.

Yes, I've had both. About 100,000 miles over 10 years towing an 8,000-pound 5er with a Reese Classsic 5er hitch. https://www.etrailer.com/multi-produ...5191&hunter=5w
About 20,000 miles over 4 years towing a 5,000-pound TT with a ProPride hitch. Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P

With both hitches properly installed and adjusted, there is no difference in the feel or sway of the trailers.

There is a slight difference because of the different tow vehicles. My F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew with 6.5' bed rides slightly different than my F-250 PSD CrewCab with 8' bed when towing. But not enough difference to cause comment or concern.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Why don't you tell us what you will be using the trailer for ?

Do you already have a tow vehicle? If so, what do you have? If not, what do you plan on using?

Full timing?
Weekend getaways?
Travelling the continent?
Private out of the way places way out in the woods?
Visiting all of the big National Parks?
Seeing all of your family and parking in their driveways while there?

If you can tell us what your plans are, we can help you really narrow it down and tell you why.