Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #1

I would greatly appreciate any advice on the use of a turnover ball hitch with their companion 5th wheel hitch vs using a "standard" type of 5th wheel hitch. From the B&W web site I see that the companion hitch is rated at 18K GVW and 4500 vertical pin weight. Are those numbers adequate? We are currently shopping for a 5th wheel so I don't have any numbers to compare as far as GVW requirements for a hitch. I will be towing with an 06 F350 4x4 PSD SRW w/ Tow Boss. Thanks in advance.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #2

I would greatly appreciate any advice on the use of a turnover ball hitch with their companion 5th wheel hitch vs using a "standard" type of 5th wheel hitch. From the B&W web site I see that the companion hitch is rated at 18K GVW and 4500 vertical pin weight. Are those numbers adequate? We are currently shopping for a 5th wheel so I don't have any numbers to compare as far as GVW requirements for a hitch. I will be towing with an 06 F350 4x4 PSD SRW w/ Tow Boss. Thanks in advance.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Ryq

Scotty, the guy that delivered my Teton had one and loved it. Versatility of a goose neck if ya ever needed it. Quality seemed real good too. Unless you are going with a coach over 18k, sb fine.

00 IH 4700 Stalick Conversion DT530E allison MD 3060
Ryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #4

ScottyP,

The hitch capacity sounds fine unless you are going to a 5ver with a GVW higher than 18K. And if you are, you probably don't have enuff truck to handle that big of a trailer or the pin weight.

I tow 14K with a 1T Chev Duramax Crewcab, which is well within the tow capacity and pin weight limits spec'd by GM.

Good luck with your search!

Crew Cab, Banks Power
MADDOG` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #5

I have the B&W turnover ball and companion 5th wheel hitch, and I like it. It is quite stout, pivots 4 ways, has a good range of forward and vertical adjustment, and it is very easy to visually confirm that the jaws are around the pin. Installation is also pretty straight forward (but measure twice before you cut that 4" hole).

It's biggest advantage is that it leaves the bed flat when removed.

The disadvantage would be that it requires a torque wrench and socket to put the hitch back in (as opposed to pulling pins from rails).

Next time, however, I think I will go with an air ride hitch.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote